Couch To 5K Program/App

Options
I have never been a runner, never done a lot of running and the few times I've tried it I haven't loved it. But we recently moved and we have this amazing park with an awesome running trail and I'm always seeing these people run and I want SO badly to run too. I ran three days last week for 3 miles each time. Took a few breaks but not a lot. Everyone keeps telling me to try the Couch To 5K program/free app. I downloaded the app and I plan to start it next week. I was just wondering if anyone has done the program or used the app. What did you like, love, or hate about it? Did you finish the program? Did it help you get into running?

Replies

• immarungirl
    immarungirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a runner and have tried this app many many times. I have always dreamed of being a runner but just thought I never could. I would start, stop at wk 3 and start over I think mentally I was scared to move on. WELL this week I completed wk 4, I never in a million years thought I could run for 4 , 6 and 4 minute intervals. I am over half way done and WILL finish the C25K I love it!! I don't run outside only on the treadmill and during the walk intervals I include to 10 to pump up my exercise.

I highly recommend it.

Good Luck!!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used the program...it really helped me develop a good running pace. I like the fact that it focuses on pace rather than any sort of miles & you can customize the program. You can listen to your own music also which is an added bonus. I stayed with the program and eventually surpassed the marks. I found myself running through "walk time" and my stamina greatly improved. There are other apps like Nike or lolo that are good also. Good luck to you!!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I just started and I love it so far!!!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    I have never been a runner, never done a lot of running and the few times I've tried it I haven't loved it. But we recently moved and we have this amazing park with an awesome running trail and I'm always seeing these people run and I want SO badly to run too. I ran three days last week for 3 miles each time. Took a few breaks but not a lot. Everyone keeps telling me to try the Couch To 5K program/free app. I downloaded the app and I plan to start it next week. I was just wondering if anyone has done the program or used the app. What did you like, love, or hate about it? Did you finish the program? Did it help you get into running?

What site did you download the app from? I'm thinking about starting it. I currently walk 4 sometimes 5 miles every morning (except Sundays) and would like to run more. I usually walk 2 miles then run 1/4 mile walk 2 miles then run another 1/4 mile. So I'm looking to eventually do more running than walking.
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    I am NOT a runner and have tried this app many many times. I have always dreamed of being a runner but just thought I never could. I would start, stop at wk 3 and start over I think mentally I was scared to move on. WELL this week I completed wk 4, I never in a million years thought I could run for 4 , 6 and 4 minute intervals. I am over half way done and WILL finish the C25K I love it!! I don't run outside only on the treadmill and during the walk intervals I include to 10 to pump up my exercise.

I highly recommend it.

Good Luck!!

Wow! Congrats on your progress.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    There are groups on here for people going through the program. I'm almost done with week 3 and I find it tough but I'm also enjoying it a lot. :)
  • missg7
    missg7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOVE the app!!! I am on Week 3 and it has really helped me. I also love the fact that you can listen to your own ipod music. Great feature. The app is great and has really helped me start my running journey. I also signed up for a 5K in October so that I have something to work towards. On days that seem really long or tiresome from work, I am still motivated to do that "Day" of the app because its only about 30 minutes. I have also always wanted to be a runner....I hope to be one day :)
  • seashman
    Options
    I just started using the C25k Pro app for Droid, which I love so far. Tells you exactly what to do and it lets you listen to your own music in between cues, for only $2. Can't beat it!
  • UnderConstructionJ
    Options
    I started using it 2 weeks ago and I happen to like it. I use to do the same type interval run/walk when I was in the gym so didn't think this would be that much different...plus I'm doing a 5K the end of October and I want to run it instead of walking like I've done in past years. What I did realize is running outside is MUCH HARDER than on the treadmill. I was already doing up to 5min fun and 1 min walk on the treadmill so when the app started me out with 90sec runs I thought that would be a breeze. WELL it wasn't...I felt like that 90secs was 10min outside...:-)...but I made it thru...and I like seeing my progress. Now I don't even watch the phone to see how many secs I have left...I'm more focused on my pace.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I ran three days last week for 3 miles each time.

That is pretty good. I'm not able to run that much yet but I'm trying. I totally get your urge to run.
  • alaythea
    Options

What site did you download the app from? I'm thinking about starting it. I currently walk 4 sometimes 5 miles every morning (except Sundays) and would like to run more. I usually walk 2 miles then run 1/4 mile walk 2 miles then run another 1/4 mile. So I'm looking to eventually do more running than walking.

I downloaded it on my iPhone from the App store. It was free!
  • alaythea
    Options
    I started using it 2 weeks ago and I happen to like it. I use to do the same type interval run/walk when I was in the gym so didn't think this would be that much different...plus I'm doing a 5K the end of October and I want to run it instead of walking like I've done in past years. What I did realize is running outside is MUCH HARDER than on the treadmill. I was already doing up to 5min fun and 1 min walk on the treadmill so when the app started me out with 90sec runs I thought that would be a breeze. WELL it wasn't...I felt like that 90secs was 10min outside...:-)...but I made it thru...and I like seeing my progress. Now I don't even watch the phone to see how many secs I have left...I'm more focused on my pace.

I don't have a treadmill nor do I go to a gym so for me it's all outdoor running! I've heard it is harder though so if I can do the outdoor thing then if I ever have to run on a treadmill it should be a piece of cake!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I both started this running program in the early months of our weight-loss journey and it was a GREAT kickstart to our weight loss for sure. Helped us build stamina, endurance and burned LOTS of calories!

We got side-tracked from it when I was starting week 9 due to some health issues, but we are planning to restart it soon (hopefully this weekend).

I have NEVER been a runner by any means. When I was younger (and much thinner) I was lucky to be able to run bases playing softball. In recent years I've experienced something similar to activity induced asthma attacks but had no trouble with breathing at all doing this program.

By week 9 you are running for 30 minutes straight. It is do-able. If I can do it so can you!

A few words of advice - GO SLOW
    If you are having trouble breathing - SLOW DOWN
    If you find you cant run the whole run segment you are on - SLOW DOWN
    If you think you are going to fast, you probably are - SLOW DOWN

You are not going to win a race. My "run" was slower than most people's moderate to fast walk. I'm short legged and was a little embarrassed when I realized that taller women were WALKING faster than my run on the treadmill, but I got over it. I was RUNNING! :happy:
  • alaythea
    Options
    Hubby and I both started this running program in the early months of our weight-loss journey and it was a GREAT kickstart to our weight loss for sure. Helped us build stamina, endurance and burned LOTS of calories!

We got side-tracked from it when I was starting week 9 due to some health issues, but we are planning to restart it soon (hopefully this weekend).

I have NEVER been a runner by any means. When I was younger (and much thinner) I was lucky to be able to run bases playing softball. In recent years I've experienced something similar to activity induced asthma attacks but had no trouble with breathing at all doing this program.

By week 9 you are running for 30 minutes straight. It is do-able. If I can do it so can you!

A few words of advice - GO SLOW
    If you are having trouble breathing - SLOW DOWN
    If you find you cant run the whole run segment you are on - SLOW DOWN
    If you think you are going to fast, you probably are - SLOW DOWN

You are not going to win a race. My "run" was slower than most people's moderate to fast walk. I'm short legged and was a little embarrassed when I realized that taller women were WALKING faster than my run on the treadmill, but I got over it. I was RUNNING! :happy:

Thanks! The first day went really good....I'll do day 2 of the first week tomorrow.
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have an iPhone and I haven't added much music to my phone.. I use this: http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ instead, downloaded to my iPod, and I think it's the same thing. I thought Week 1 was going to kill me, but I'm up to Week 4 now :)
  • bmhall75
    bmhall75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 5K on October 6th. I have been using the RunDouble app on Android, basically the same thing as the C25K. It gives the first two weeks free, and then is a little under $2.00 for the Full App. I like it due to the mapping and speed graphs that it has. I was away for work during Labor Day week and couldn't run, however I found that I was able to do the next week just fine. I do like doing the treadmill sometimes since that keeps me at a steady pace. I have found that when road-running I tend to run a little too fast which makes me much slower at the end.