Breathing is HARD!

Options
Hi all! I've been running 3-4 times a week (almost always 4) for 30 minutes/3-ish miles since January and I find that I'm STILL getting "lazy cramps" under the right side of my rib cage. I tried to read up on it and found that it's probably the way I'm breathing, but I can't seem to alter the way I breathe. When I try, it takes more effort than I have the energy to put into it. I've also read a lot about letting breathing be natural, but since I am still having the cramping, I'm really leaning towards trying some "tricks" if anyone has them. I know running is never supposed to be "easy" (what would be the point in doing it if it were, right?) but I thought for sure I would be able to eventually run without crippling pain in my right side. Any advice?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I know running is never supposed to be "easy" (what would be the point in doing it if it were, right?) but I thought for sure I would be able to eventually run without crippling pain in my right side. Any advice?

Running can be easy. You still get aerobic benefits when you run easy. It takes some time to get there, but it does happen. As for your situation, maybe try just slowing down a bit. :)
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i think i have the same problem sometimes! when i cramp up i focus on breathing in for two steps then out for two, in for two, out for two, and then the cramps usually go away really quickly ( i keep jogging, but just slow down my pace if i have to until the cramps are gone).
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Haha! Look at my pace! It would be tough to go slower than I do sometimes. My initial goal when I started running was to get a 5K in in 30 minutes or less, but it still takes me at least 33 to do so. I guess I'll just keep plugging on.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Haha! Look at my pace! It would be tough to go slower than I do sometimes. My initial goal when I started running was to get a 5K in in 30 minutes or less, but it still takes me at least 33 to do so. I guess I'll just keep plugging on.

A drop in pace of 30 seconds to 1 minuter per mile will make a significant difference in how you feel. There is nothing wrong with a 10:00, 11:00 or 12:00 minute per mile pace. Running is counter-intuitive. Sometimes (often? almost always?) have to slow down to get faster.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ditto what CarsonRuns said... You are NOT that slow and could definitely slow it down a bit to get your breathing in check. I do the same breathing pace trick that Ischuttum mentioned - breath in two footfalls, breath out two footfalls. And I actually count out my steps to make sure I've got a nice steady pace. If you listen to music, try unplugging for a while so you can tune into your own rhythms.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

That's... actually pretty fast for a beginner. I know people who've been running a year a or more and still haven't broken the 30 minute 5K barrier. So the key here, is to train smarter not harder. Carson is right, you're running too fast and it's probably impeding your ability to get faster (ironically enough). Divide your 4 day schedule into 3-4 different kinds of runs:

Make one day a "jog day". Run your normal 3 miles, but run it 60 or so seconds a mile slower than you normally do. Keep it nice and easy, and you'll find that the side cramps go away most likely.

Make one day a "Speed work day". You can do lots of stuff on a speed work day. If you have access to a track you can run 440 or 880 repeats at your 5K (race) pace (take breaks between the repeats). You can do Fartleks, which is simply running at a jog pace and then increasing to your 5K pace for a bit every so often for a while, then slowing back to a jog. You can do hills, which are pretty self explanatory. This day should be done at, or even over your race pace for at least part of the run, but it should also be short. All told do a mile and a half to two miles and be sure to rest between intervals. This allows you to work on speed without trying to do your whole run, everyday, at your max pace.

Make one day a "long run". Slow it down another 30 seconds a mile slower than your jog day, and go farther. 4 or 5 miles is a good start for someone used to 3 mile runs.

On the fourth day do either another jog day, or another speed day. Don't do speed work more than one a week very often, but once or twice a month is fine if you find you like the speed work. Otherwise just make it a jog day.

As you find that things get easier, increase stuff. Either up the pace a bit on your runs, or up the distance (slowly). Maybe you start out with: Tues: 2 miles speed work, Thurs: 3 mile jog, Sat: 3 mile jog, Sun: 4 mile long run. After a few weeks up the long run to 5 miles. Then maybe make a jog 4 miles a week after. Careful increasing speed work distances, but those can go up a little bit too. After a while you'll find that your pace on shorter runs increases pretty naturally. Pretty soon you break your 30 minute 5K.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

That's... actually pretty fast for a beginner. I know people who've been running a year a or more and still haven't broken the 30 minute 5K barrier. So the key here, is to train smarter not harder. Carson is right, you're running too fast and it's probably impeding your ability to get faster (ironically enough). Divide your 4 day schedule into 3-4 different kinds of runs:

Make one day a "jog day". Run your normal 3 miles, but run it 60 or so seconds a mile slower than you normally do. Keep it nice and easy, and you'll find that the side cramps go away most likely.

Make one day a "Speed work day". You can do lots of stuff on a speed work day. If you have access to a track you can run 440 or 880 repeats at your 5K (race) pace (take breaks between the repeats). You can do Fartleks, which is simply running at a jog pace and then increasing to your 5K pace for a bit every so often for a while, then slowing back to a jog. You can do hills, which are pretty self explanatory. This day should be done at, or even over your race pace for at least part of the run, but it should also be short. All told do a mile and a half to two miles and be sure to rest between intervals. This allows you to work on speed without trying to do your whole run, everyday, at your max pace.

Make one day a "long run". Slow it down another 30 seconds a mile slower than your jog day, and go farther. 4 or 5 miles is a good start for someone used to 3 mile runs.

On the fourth day do either another jog day, or another speed day. Don't do speed work more than one a week very often, but once or twice a month is fine if you find you like the speed work. Otherwise just make it a jog day.

As you find that things get easier, increase stuff. Either up the pace a bit on your runs, or up the distance (slowly). Maybe you start out with: Tues: 2 miles speed work, Thurs: 3 mile jog, Sat: 3 mile jog, Sun: 4 mile long run. After a few weeks up the long run to 5 miles. Then maybe make a jog 4 miles a week after. Careful increasing speed work distances, but those can go up a little bit too. After a while you'll find that your pace on shorter runs increases pretty naturally. Pretty soon you break your 30 minute 5K.

On about 12 miles per week, I don't think the OP will get a lot of benefit from any speed work just yet. I'd suggest trying to add another day of running to make it 5 days a week. Keep all the running easy. Make one of the weekend runs a long run (start with 5 miles and gradually build to the 7 to 8 mile range). Make one of the mid week runs a little longer then the others. Start with 4 miles and build to 5 to 6 mile range. Get the total weekly mileage to around 25 miles per week for a few months, then I think the base will be there to support the addition of speed work.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I used to get the same cramps. Still do, sometimes, but only when I know I'm not hydrated enough (could this be it?).

The ONLY thing that helps me during a cramp like that is to walk for a minute or two, breathing deeply. When I go back to running, it's usually gone. Walking isn't motivating but it's better than running in pain.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A drop in pace of 30 seconds to 1 minuter per mile will make a significant difference in how you feel. There is nothing wrong with a 10:00, 11:00 or 12:00 minute per mile pace. Running is counter-intuitive. Sometimes (often? almost always?) have to slow down to get faster.

I'm kind of a beginner myself, and I agree with this. If I start too fast, my run only gets worse.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Bump, some great advice