How long? (Strength training)

How long does it take people to complete their strength training?
I'm doing the 5x5 program at the moment and I do it in under half an hour, so I have plenty of time to do cardio.
(Although today I had to do it with dumbells because I couldn't be assed to wait for the only barbell in the gym).

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    30 minutes when I started, since I could take 30-45 second rests.

Much longer ow that I take 2-3 minute rests.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    anywhere between 45-60 minutes
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Well at the gym I do 3 barbell lifts, one bodyweight exercise, 2 isos for calves. Takes maybe a bit over an hour depending on if I'm on A (1x5 deadlifts) or B (5x3 power cleans) The 5 sets of power cleans means more rest periods adding time.
  • 45 to 60 mins
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    45-60 minutes.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    When I first started Strong lifts it took about 30min. as the weight got heavier and I took longer in-between sets up to 90 mins. I also did a few assistance exercises at the end
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    45 mins max. I only train one body part a day (with the exception of training shoulders and hamstrings the same day).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    no more than 60 minutes...ever.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Stronglifts in under 30 minutes? I'd be puking my guts out or doing no weight...
  • One hour is a standard amount of time for a lifting session.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Stronglifts in under 30 minutes? I'd be puking my guts out or doing no weight...

Its only my second session at the moment and I'm only doing 10kg overall.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member
    30-60 minutes just the strength training.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    The trainer at my gym recommended is 5 minutes cardio warm up, 30 minutes strength, 20 minutes cardio, 5 minutes cardio cool down.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Depends. Right now, I'm just starting out a new program. Took only a few minutes. Later on, it'll take more like 45 minutes when I'm at the max set/rep count.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I'm doing the 5x5 program at the moment and I do it in under half an hour, so I have plenty of time to do cardio.
    (Although today I had to do it with dumbells because I couldn't be assed to wait for the only barbell in the gym).
    30 minutes may be fine for now, but once you get up to higher weights you will need longer rest periods between sets in order to complete the workout..
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    30 minutes may be fine for now, but once you get up to higher weights you will need longer rest periods between sets in order to complete the workout..

Good to know.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    You should be doing some light cardio to warmup and some stretching. Plus, to take full advantage, do cardio after lifting weights so you burn off glycogen. Figure:

Warmup Cardio: 5 mins
    Stretching: 5 mins
    Lift 1 (3x5 warmup sets, 5x5 regular sets): 10 minutes
    Lift 2 (3x5 warmup sets, 5x5 regular sets): 10 minutes
    Lift 3 (3x5 warmup sets, 5x5 regular sets): 10 minutes

That's a baseline of 40 minutes, doing 1 set approx every 60 seconds (which is pretty intense).

Add 15 minutes of cardio, and another 5 minute cooldown and you're looking at 60 minutes in the gym, baseline.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    about 45
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I'm rarely ever at the gym for more than 60 minutes at a time.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    My New Rules of Lifting for Women sessions range from 45 min. (stage 1, 2x15 on 5 moves with 60 sec. rest bet. sets) to 120 minutes (stage 5, 4x4 on 8-9 moves with 120 sec. rest between sets and body-weight matrix or HIIT afterwards)