Need Help: I want to lose 31 pounds in 11 weeks

Options
So, I am walking 2 miles a day. I am going to add some strength training. 11 Weeks from now is Thanksgiving. We usually go to see family, like most Americans. I have lost 27 of my 150 pounds. If I lose 31 pounds, I will be under 300 for the first time in ten years. When I see my family, I just want to be able to say I not only lost 58 pounds, but that I am also now under 300.

I have no desire to crash diet or do anything drastic. I need to hear from those with experience, how can I safely lose 31 pounds in 11 weeks? Is this reasonable? That is an average of 2.82 pounds per week. I am currently losing an average of 1.375 pounds per week over the last 16 weeks.

Good, constructive, advice please; no arrogance or flaming. :)

Replies

• Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to over simplify it, but really, you just need to burn off more than you take in. Walking is good, but strength training and walking would be better. Swimming is also a great way to get in a great cardio workout that is easy on the joints and low impact.

Eat clean and train harder.
  • lauehorn04
    Options
    Add strength training and interval training. Keep your diet clean, cutting out processed foods, alcohol, and refined sugar.

I would also recommend measuring yourself and go by inches not just pounds.

Good luck!

EDIT: Yes, based on your current weight and how much you have to lose, averaging 2lbs, possibly even 3lbs a week is reasonable.
  • jlynnalcantara
    Options
    I have lost 14 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks doing an 1200 calorie diet and the p90x. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. it incorporates cardio and strength training. It's the hardest and BEST thing I've ever done. If you do this, I can almost guarantee you'll get there. Good luck!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, but perhaps not fully advisable.

When I was around that weight range, there were weeks where I lost a lot. Three pounds a week can be done for a while when your TDEE is high, allowing you to stay above 1200 net caolries, but with a large daily deficit. But there's some risks to consider:

It's not a sustainable pace, and doesn't necessarily help with building good lifelong habits.

Ramping up to that level could do things to your metabolism, motivation, or willpower that could hurt your long term success.

You would possibly raise the risk of an injury related setback.

Doctors generally advise 1-2 a week.

I'd say set the goal at 2, keep calories under target but above 1200 net, and watch your energy, appetite, and attitude closely.

Your family will be amazed at what you've accomplished and your dedication, whether you come in at 309 or 299. And anyways, you get to tell them at Easter you're still keeping it up and improving. And again at a summer barbecue...it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Interval training and add in strength training to your walkng is where I would start.. You know I have been on this journey for 38 months now and have an average weight loss of a little over 2 lbs. a week... So I don't want to say 3 lbs. a week would be impossible but your going to have to put in the work to try and achieve this but don't be disappointed if you come up alittle short. Your family will still be very impressed and happy for you even if it is only 48 lbs. and not 58 lbs. Best of Luck...
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Interval training and add in strength training to your walkng is where I would start.. You know I have been on this journey for 38 months now and have an average weight loss of a little over 2 lbs. a week... So I don't want to say 3 lbs. a week would be impossible but your going to have to put in the work to try and achieve this but don't be disappointed if you come up alittle short. Your family will still be very impressed and happy for you even if it is only 48 lbs. and not 58 lbs. Best of Luck...

Gosh Ed, I look at your ticker, and every time, I am just...AWESTRUCK.