How Do I....?!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Wether this will work or not I don't know,I have not personally tried it as of yet, but it is a methode my dad has used and seems to work for him.
    Take the apple seeds and lay them to dry on a paper towel.
    Place a moistened paper towel over top of dried seeds and put them in the fridge (for about a month). Check to make sure the paper towel doesnt dry out, moisten if necessary. After a month they should have started to sprout.
    Once sprouted you can place them in a small pot with potting soild. ensuring the soil remains moist but not wet. Place in a warm sunny area
    Now wait til it grows.
    Once big enough to transplant you can place it in a larger pot and water (a little bit) daily
    Once the chance of frost has past (Mid/end May for us), pick a nice sunny location with plenty of room to grow. carefully remove it from pot and plant :)
    (if it helps we are Canadian ON)
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    SO! I'm a HUGE garden nerd. I take all my questions to Gardenweb.com. It's an awesome community of other garden nerds, including plant ID from pictures and answering any questions you might have. But, here's what I know about trying to grow super market seeds.

1) The best way to make sure the seeds from your apple will germinate would be to buy locally grown apples from the farmer's market, it's a twofer, you know they'll grow in your area, because they're from a local grower and you'll probably have the highest germination rate because they're the freshest. (The store bought ones will probably still work though--I think I did that when I was younger) On the other hand, the store bought apples may do okay, as they would probably have spent a bit of time in a walk-in cooler, and sometimes a little bit of cold exposure (simulated change from winter to spring) can help the seeds to germinate--not sure on apples honestly...

2) The easiest way to see them germinate is by placing them in a tupperware on a damp paper towel in a warm place (they don't need sun until you have roots--but we're getting to that). Then a couple times a day you can take the lid of and take a look. If starts to get too dry, take a spray bottle and mist a couple pumps into the tupperware, to keep the towel *just* damp.

When they start to poke roots out, carefully take your soon to be plants off the towel and plant them in a good sterilized potting soil or soilless mix in a 2-4" pot, about an inch below the surface. (If the roots have grown through the towel, no worries, just carefully cut the part it's on and plant the whole small piece, seed, roots and tiny square of towel.

Move to a well lit window that will receive AT LEAST 6 hours of sun a day, or buy a small clamp grow lamp from your local garden center (keep it 3-5 inches above the tops of your plant leaves so as not to scorch the leaves). Give just enough water to keep it moist, but not wet or standing in water. Seedlings are highly prone to mold and something called "damp off" if they are too moist. People have had rather good luck preventing this watering their plants with a strong camomile tea--it inhibits the bacterias somehow. There has also been good luck arresting damp off by sprinkling powdered cinnamon on the soil! I know I actually have tried this one--side effect, it smells wonderful! Anyways, but try not to go to wet, as a good defense is simply sometimes a good offense.

3) So that's the highest chance of germination. You could probably also possibly get away with putting your seeds in individual pots, planted an inch deep, pointy side down (that's where the roots come out), in a good potting mix, not over watering and crossing your fingers. I've done that before too! Just not as successfully.

As a side note, I LOVE that you're growing something just to see if you can. Planting "why not" seeds is some of the more fun and enriching plant experiments you can do, and it teaches you how to do it right when you do go and buy seeds. Two more things though. First, who ever it was above it right. Most apples are not consistent in their seeds (same actually for peaches/nectarines), it's probably because large orchards mean that Oodles of cross-pollinating is going on or something (or a more scientific reason), but either way, large growing ops ALWAYS graft their stock.* Second, growing your apple in winter MAY weaken the plant. Most trees native to sub-tropical areas, expect some form of winter rest period. Your apple will be going a full year at "growing temperatures," I would recommend, if this is a long term experiment, putting your tree some place cool next winter, if you have a garage or unheated basement or cellar, that would be the way to go. Then, when it appears to be starting new growth again in the spring, bring it back up to the windows. (It may not come back, due to the weakened state caused by "off season" growing--this is a worst case, it may still come back).

(*Another fun experiment to try sometime--grafting is a method of cloning and existing tree through the process of taking a plant with a disease resistant sock and good root structure, cutting off the top of the young tree and literally cutting and strapping a variety you want tasty fruit from on top. There are many different methods of grafting, and some apple trees are sold that grow upwards of SIX different types on the same trunk! Anyhow, it can be kind of a fun franken-experiment.)

HAPPY GARDENING! And friend me if you'd like. :D
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh also, it takes about 3-4 years for a well cared for apple to make fruit and will most likely require some form of cross-pollination.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to wait like 20 years to get apples?lol

No, you don't. Apple saplings will grow apples. Not as much as a full tree, naturally, but so many that it will sometime bend the tree over if you don't prop it up.

I don't know about planting but wild apple trees grow from dropped apples, so I'd try planting the whole apple rather than just the seed.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but you probably cannot grow a fruit tree from any seed. Thanks to companies like Monsanto, fruits and vegetables are engineered to have sterile seeds. This isn't 100% full proof, but unless you buy seeds from a farm store, you probably will not be able to grow a plant from a seed you take out of a fruit.

Really, it's all about the money and controlling the food supply. Most fruit trees now are grown by grafting a limb from an existing tree.

the apples that i am taking the seeds from came from a fresh farmers market from apples grown and picked in their orchard. Im not really looking for the fruit just want to be able to grow a tree is all.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    SO! I'm a HUGE garden nerd. I take all my questions to Gardenweb.com. It's an awesome community of other garden nerds, including plant ID from pictures and answering any questions you might have. But, here's what I know about trying to grow super market seeds.

1) The best way to make sure the seeds from your apple will germinate would be to buy locally grown apples from the farmer's market, it's a twofer, you know they'll grow in your area, because they're from a local grower and you'll probably have the highest germination rate because they're the freshest. (The store bought ones will probably still work though--I think I did that when I was younger) On the other hand, the store bought apples may do okay, as they would probably have spent a bit of time in a walk-in cooler, and sometimes a little bit of cold exposure (simulated change from winter to spring) can help the seeds to germinate--not sure on apples honestly...

2) The easiest way to see them germinate is by placing them in a tupperware on a damp paper towel in a warm place (they don't need sun until you have roots--but we're getting to that). Then a couple times a day you can take the lid of and take a look. If starts to get too dry, take a spray bottle and mist a couple pumps into the tupperware, to keep the towel *just* damp.

When they start to poke roots out, carefully take your soon to be plants off the towel and plant them in a good sterilized potting soil or soilless mix in a 2-4" pot, about an inch below the surface. (If the roots have grown through the towel, no worries, just carefully cut the part it's on and plant the whole small piece, seed, roots and tiny square of towel.

Move to a well lit window that will receive AT LEAST 6 hours of sun a day, or buy a small clamp grow lamp from your local garden center (keep it 3-5 inches above the tops of your plant leaves so as not to scorch the leaves). Give just enough water to keep it moist, but not wet or standing in water. Seedlings are highly prone to mold and something called "damp off" if they are too moist. People have had rather good luck preventing this watering their plants with a strong camomile tea--it inhibits the bacterias somehow. There has also been good luck arresting damp off by sprinkling powdered cinnamon on the soil! I know I actually have tried this one--side effect, it smells wonderful! Anyways, but try not to go to wet, as a good defense is simply sometimes a good offense.

3) So that's the highest chance of germination. You could probably also possibly get away with putting your seeds in individual pots, planted an inch deep, pointy side down (that's where the roots come out), in a good potting mix, not over watering and crossing your fingers. I've done that before too! Just not as successfully.

As a side note, I LOVE that you're growing something just to see if you can. Planting "why not" seeds is some of the more fun and enriching plant experiments you can do, and it teaches you how to do it right when you do go and buy seeds. Two more things though. First, who ever it was above it right. Most apples are not consistent in their seeds (same actually for peaches/nectarines), it's probably because large orchards mean that Oodles of cross-pollinating is going on or something (or a more scientific reason), but either way, large growing ops ALWAYS graft their stock.* Second, growing your apple in winter MAY weaken the plant. Most trees native to sub-tropical areas, expect some form of winter rest period. Your apple will be going a full year at "growing temperatures," I would recommend, if this is a long term experiment, putting your tree some place cool next winter, if you have a garage or unheated basement or cellar, that would be the way to go. Then, when it appears to be starting new growth again in the spring, bring it back up to the windows. (It may not come back, due to the weakened state caused by "off season" growing--this is a worst case, it may still come back).

(*Another fun experiment to try sometime--grafting is a method of cloning and existing tree through the process of taking a plant with a disease resistant sock and good root structure, cutting off the top of the young tree and literally cutting and strapping a variety you want tasty fruit from on top. There are many different methods of grafting, and some apple trees are sold that grow upwards of SIX different types on the same trunk! Anyhow, it can be kind of a fun franken-experiment.)

HAPPY GARDENING! And friend me if you'd like. :D

Thank you so much! i will try that for sure. Just a quick question, when i put the seeds on the damp paper towel, should i let the seeds dry out first or soak them for a few hours first in water? i read on the internet that doing either of them work im just not sure. I am using apples bought from a farmers market so they are fresh apples.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    Wether this will work or not I don't know,I have not personally tried it as of yet, but it is a methode my dad has used and seems to work for him.
    Take the apple seeds and lay them to dry on a paper towel.
    Place a moistened paper towel over top of dried seeds and put them in the fridge (for about a month). Check to make sure the paper towel doesnt dry out, moisten if necessary. After a month they should have started to sprout.
    Once sprouted you can place them in a small pot with potting soild. ensuring the soil remains moist but not wet. Place in a warm sunny area
    Now wait til it grows.
    Once big enough to transplant you can place it in a larger pot and water (a little bit) daily
    Once the chance of frost has past (Mid/end May for us), pick a nice sunny location with plenty of room to grow. carefully remove it from pot and plant :)
    (if it helps we are Canadian ON)

i think i will try this way too. I am in New Brunswick Canada so our weather is about the same lol. Do i put them in a bag or in a tubberwere container in the fridge? what do you recommend for potting soil?
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has commented and helped. Has anyone tried using water beads or water crystals to germinate the apple seeds?
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has commented and helped. Has anyone tried using water beads or water crystals to germinate the apple seeds?
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    Does anyone else have and ideas or tips?