Tricep Exercise Ideas

Options
So I am looking for some exercises that hit the triceps well other than tricep pulldowns. I try to do tricep overhead press, however I have a tweaked left rotator cut that sometimes gives out on overhead lifts like that exercises or shoulder press. Anyone have ideas on how to hit the triceps?

I was thinking exercises like dips, close grip press, or potentially skull crushers.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if your RC is giving you trouble, I'd highly advise against dips.

Skull crushers would be an option, but they tear the hell out of most peoples elbows so you'd have to test em out.

Pushdowns work great but you'd want a few different options. Close grip bench (again might be tough w/ the rc. have you seen a dr?)
    Board presses.
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen a doctor. It isn't something that negatively impacts any other part of my life other than working out and after ACL surgeries on both knees a few years back I'm not racing to the doctor's office anytime soon. Just looking for some alternatives that could hit the tricep without putting stress on my shoulder.

I thought of close grip bench because the press from the chest out doesn't really both my RC, its just when I'm pressing from my shoulder to over my head, or in the case of tricep extensions, behind my head to over my head.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Pushups.
  • martinking1983
    Options
    I like french press with a barbell...
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    dips & skull crushers.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    dip machines
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    close grip bench
    dips
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Tricep pushups, holding your hands close together making a triangle with your pointer fingers and thumbs, directly below your chest, engages the triceps.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    tricep pushups.. planks on a small medicine ball
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Dips would probably hurt your shoulder. Tricep kick backs would work the tricep without putting pressure on your shoulder.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you have a pully machine you could do tricep pushdowns, either with a rope or bar. I do skull crushers and close grip bench press for mine. Tricep kickbacks may also work for you.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Dip are probably the best overall tricep exercise, so I'd give them a shot and see how your shoulder does. Obviously don't be stupid and injure your shoulder if it feels funny doing them!
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone! looks like I have a lot to try out next time it's arm day haha
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    tricep pushdowns
    skull crushers
    narrow pushups
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Close grip bench, lying tricep extensions, kickbacks, cable pushdowns are just a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I :heart: skull crushers :drinker:
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    what is a skull crusher?
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    Skull crushers - Sitting (or standing) with dumbbell over head (if you drop the weight, potential for crushing skull is high). Basically, elbow pointing towards the ceiling (one handed or two handed) extend the dumbbell up to engage tricep.

Dips -

Low Pully Row machine extenders - I like this one and it has the potential for less rotator cuff involvement. use the low pully row machine and remove any attachment, carefully grab the Rubber Ball (or you can use a one handed handle). I tend to put a knee up on the bench, bent over, straight back, and extend my arm out behind me.. (hope this makes sense)

Close grip bench press - basically bench press, but use a close grip (also a good idea to smith machine this one)