Going Out???

Options
So, my husband and I have a babysitter tonight so that he and I can have one of our weekly date nights. Now, this is the first time that I have been "out to eat" since I've gotten serious with MFP a few days ago. Does anybody have any suggestions of where I should go to eat, or what I should eat when eating out? I've been looking at some menus online and the nutritional values of things, and most things I can't eat. If anybody has any suggestions, please help! :) Thank you!!!!

Replies

• ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat them? Are you allergic or something? You can eat half, or, if you are like me and don't have the self-control for that at yummy restaurants, you can exercise this afternoon, so your net cals wont be as high
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat them? I would go to a restaurant you enjoy and pick one of their healthier options.. its 1 day its not going to derail your progress.. unless its a all you can eat place.. I wouldn't do those..
  • jlynnalcantara
    Options
    I know how you feel. two weeks ago was my 8 year anniversary. I decided that would be my cheat day. I stuck to wine, even if it is empty calories and tried to pick as HIGH protein items in the menu. BUT my suggestion is this, if you never really go out and you want to enjoy yourself do so. Believe it or not, sometimes when you add bad food one day to your diet it shocks your system and when you return to your diet it sometimes helps you drop the weight a bit faster. I've had 2 cheat days in my 3 1/2 weeks and i haven't gained any weight because of them. good luck and enjoy...there is no point to all this torture without a few enjoyments in between.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's only one meal. Order anything and watch the portion size. (maybe ask for a box at the beginning of the meal)

Lately I've had social situations where I have to go to dinner with friends and family. I usually eat something light (lean protien) before I go so I'm not starving and then eat selectively at dinner.
  • Colleenb_2012
    Options
    Its better to think of this as a treat night, because if you go cold turkey with the things you like, you will eventually just have a massive binge and that will be even worse. Also as suggested you should have a workout :D hope this helps xx
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat I plan ahead for what ever it is I want to eat. If it's going to be high cal, simply cut your calories back earlier in the day, or do some extra exercise or both. Usually if going out to eat, I'm willing to accept at least my maintenance calories. Restaurants are there to make things taste good, which means butter, sauces, sodium and fat. Go enjoy, especially since it's not something you do very often it sounds.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    My husband and I are also going out tonight on a double date with some friends. We are going to a place known for its ice cream (Kimball's Farm for those in Massachusetts). The other couple chose the venue. We are going to the one in Lancaster, MA that has a classic cars show every Friday night. I followed the advice of another on this site (don't remember who posted it or where I saw it), I went online and found the menu. This allowed me to select my meal in advance so I won't be tempted to get something high in fat and calories. I was pleasantly surprised to see they have both a Caesar Chicken Salad and a Garden Chicken Salad. One of those will be dinner.

Since Kimball's is famous for their ice cream, I have a plan there too. The kiddie cone is HUGE so I can't order my own. I am going to bring a half cup measure and take some of my husband's ice cream. A half cup will be enough so I don't feel completely deprived.

Because I know I am going out tonight, I plan to be sure I get my exercise in too.

Good luck.

Tena
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I know how you feel. two weeks ago was my 8 year anniversary. I decided that would be my cheat day. I stuck to wine, even if it is empty calories and tried to pick as HIGH protein items in the menu. BUT my suggestion is this, if you never really go out and you want to enjoy yourself do so. Believe it or not, sometimes when you add bad food one day to your diet it shocks your system and when you return to your diet it sometimes helps you drop the weight a bit faster. I've had 2 cheat days in my 3 1/2 weeks and i haven't gained any weight because of them. good luck and enjoy...there is no point to all this torture without a few enjoyments in between.

The problem I have is if I cheat I don't get back on plan. I agree with you that one day does not matter, but for me, one day usually means the end.