Condundrum--what do you all think?

Options
Okay, so my husband and I have been doing the diet and exercise thing for a little under a month. We've only been out to eat once in that time, and tonight we want to go out. We want to go out for steak, which isn't the problem, as a nice 6 oz filet actually doesn't have that many calories. The problem is that this place has the best French onion soup I've ever had, and THAT has twice the calories of the darn steak. So I'm going back and forth on it. I know I can probably manage (just) to come in under my calorie limit, even with the soup. But I also know that I shouldn't give in to food cravings, that if I can train my brain to just accept the bland salad instead, I'll probably lose weight faster. I'm a little wigged about how much I'm obsessing about this stupid soup, frankly. What do you all think? I'm sure some of you out there have struggled with this issue. I'm going out of town for three days at the end of the month and I have to get past this restaurant fear.

Replies

• mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat the soup. If you are worried about going over calories, go for a walk to burn some off after dinner.
  • EmilyBoots
    EmilyBoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat the damn soup. A treat once a month is absolutely reasonable. Just plan ahead! Trying to lose weight as fast as possible is a recipe for failure. Focus on improving your life every day, instead, and a slow steady maintainable weight loss will happen.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I would choose between the two evils :p

steak or soup....not both.

go some place else if it's just too tempting

perhaps can you order a child's plate of steak (tips) & a cup of soup??

you're doing great ... checking with yourself before plunging in :)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Eat half the soup. Share the other half with your husband.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Eat the soup, exercise a little more...don't fret.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to guess what's making the soup so high in calories - is it the cheese topped crouton? Could you eat just a little of that bit, and enjoy some of the soup?
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    to me the steak and a salad sound AMAZING lol but then I am not a fan of french onion soup lol
    so my solution to this would be either split the soup with hubby and get a garden salad with dressing on the side and enjoy it ....or bring the other half of the soup home with you for lunch the next day....or enjoy the soup and get in the exercise to "pay" for it :) have fun!!! ooooo make sure you drink lots of water- that soup is major salty and will cause water gain :)
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I liked the suggestion about sharing with my husband. He said the same thing. And thanks for making me feel less awful for wanting something not so great for me once in a great while.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    EAT THE SOUP!

This is a lifestyle change. You won't be able to keep it up if you don't indulge in some of your favorite foods when you can.
  • fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. Have the soup and the steak. Sharing the soup is a great idea.
    Just imagine: You don't have the soup but you crave it......You'll end up binging on other things, which might be far worse, because you didn't satisfy the real craving. Doesn't matter if you go overboard today, you can make it up tomorrow. Just enjoy the evening.
  • Alluring72
    Alluring72 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can not ignore all cravings - if you do that - once you get to your ideal weight - you'll go for all those things you denied yourself along the way. Decide which cravings are worth it and how you will fit it into you plan and enjoy the soup as you eat it - spoonful by spoonful - make it last. You just can't enjoy this every day, that is all... Relax and enjoy life - esp dinner out with you man! :-)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i would bring a plastic container (with one of those leake proof lids, )
    and then put 1/2 in there as soon as its served.
    then tomoorow for lunch you can have more soup.
    (so you can use up tomorrows lunch calories.
    its win win.
    (or share with hubby)

besides this is a plan for life not a quick fix diet.
    (is being skinny worth never having french onion soup again??

the answer is NO.
    )
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Eat the soup. If you are worried about going over calories, go for a walk to burn some off after dinner.

^^^ This. MFP is really about trying to help you make an overall lifestyle change and not about just "dieting." That said, go ahead and eat the soup!! If you're pre-planning, maybe get in a bit more exercise - longer duration or more intense workout - to burn a few more calories. I really subscribe to the idea that you don't have to give ANYTHING up - just eat in moderation. Or in the case of going to a place where you really like something - indulge for the one night - then get back on track tomorrow.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a lot of fresh fruit earlier in the day to counteract the huge amount of sodium that is in the soup and then I say go for it as long as you stay within your calorie goals. My opinion is that obsessing about craving something will make you eat anything and everything to sessiate that craving but of course nothing will work until you have what you are craving. Fit it into your daily goal, couteract with postassium and enjoy. Don't obsess, allow yourself to have cravings, just in moderation, I guarantee you will feel better afterwards and can move on.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat the soup :)
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    Options
    Hi,
    Eat the soup this is about a long term change in lifestyle. It's about accomodating the things you like into a healthier way of eating. Either eat less I.e. share or take some home or do more excercise. Either way you should have the soup and the steak but this time you plan on how you are going to fit it in. Life would be very dull without some treats. I make sure I build in regular treats or i would feel as though i was living rather a dull life and it would then be too easy to fall back into pre MFP habits. For me that was eating what I wanted, when I wanted as often as i wanted. Now treats really seem special, never has a buttery minty potato ever tasted so good.

Enjoy your night out and don't worry about it. Food can be a pleasure.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Incorporating foods we like into our new lifestyle is vital, I think. So, I agree, eat the soup or at least some of it. Even if you go over a bit on calories, you have "banked" some in the last month, so you will be fine. Food is not just fuel.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    eat the soup, you have to treat yourself occasionally and enjoy what u are eating or its going to be hardder to stick to. just get a cup instead of a bowl or maybe even share with ur hubby if he wants it too, then u can get a taste of it without having the whole thing. you don't have to train your brain to eat bland stuff, you have to train yourself to eat in moderation.
    also, do a little extra exercise if u are worried, so u will have plenty of extra calories and will be able to relax and enjoy yourself.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    So was the soup ordered/ eaten?
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Not to keep repeating what everyone is saying but I agree. This should not be a "Diet" but a change in lifestyle. Many people in the fitness industry have what they call a "cheating" meal where, for 1 meal/week they indulge in a little something extra.

I'm not saying eat a 2000 calorie meal, but if you wish to indulge in some soup, by all means, do so.

I recommend eating a "deck of playing cards" size portion of steak (roughly 3-4 oz) and taking the rest home. As someone from Houston can certainly attest, many restaurants serve huge portions (larger portions draw in more customers as they get more food for their money. However, most people should never finish 14-20 oz of steak in one sitting).

I like the idea of sharing the soup with your husband. The waitperson will be more than happy if you order one order and ask it be split into two bowls. If you dont feel like doing that, going over your day's calories by 300 or so will not destroy your fitness goals. Just keep this kind of activity to a once a week treat. Else, all of the hard work you've done for the other 6 days will be for naught if you eat 2500 extra calories during the 7th day.