5k tomorrow morning, dinner tonight?

Options
Running a 5k in the morning and will be dining with friends at Sam Sneads this evening. This is my first 5k and I'm aware it's unnecessary to carbo-load, but a girl's gotta eat something for dinner!

Here's a link to the menu - http://vizprocreative.com/CLIENT_samsneads/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dinnermenu.pdf

If it were you, what would you choose to eat tonight?

jess

*Edited to say I keep my calorie count at 1400ish; i'll have about 1000 left by this evening

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Choose something you've eaten before and know you tolerate well. You don't want to have unexpected tummy/bathroom issues tomorrow morning!

Good luck tomorrow!:happy:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Choose something you've eaten before and know you tolerate well. You don't want to have unexpected tummy/bathroom issues tomorrow morning!

Good luck tomorrow!:happy:

This on both. You've done training runs, yes? This is no different except you'll have better support and a few like-minded folks around you. Eat something you'd normally eat before a training run.

And have a great time running!
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would order one of the following:

-Half a steak or flat bread and a side salad
    -Salmon with a side of broccoli or spinach and grilled vegetables
    - Tuna salad
    -Turkey Sandwich with steamed broccoli
    -Birdie Burger
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I knew enough to say hell no to dining at the Schnitzel Shack tonight! We're traveling for the race so I won't be able to do my "norm" which isn't anything, really.

Thanks, Achojnacki for your ideas; everything on the menu looks pretty nom but the salmon sounds like a great choice!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd 5K in the morning. I'm going to have pasta tonight only because last time I ran out of steam during the run (could of just been mental) so I don't think it would hurt to have a few extra carbs. Plus I don't really eat pasta any other time so might as well enjoy! Good luck tomorrow!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You said no to 'The Schnitzel Shack'.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Does pasta the night before really help? I mean in 2 hours your blood sugar will drop because of the carb. How does that fall into what happens the next day? I have always wanted to ask that question because it makes no sense to me.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i think it's ok to eat a little extra carbs for tomorrow if you want. if you happen to go over a little, it's ok
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i also agree with nothing too greasy or that you don't usually eat because you dont' want any issues in the morning.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    yep just the usual!!! :) Good luck and have fun!!
  • sammiebabie333
    sammiebabie333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also recommend that for a 5 K you just stick with the basics that you would normally eat, no need to load with carbs or anything unusual to your body.
    Enjoy and I wish you the best!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would say "carbo-load" but since it's a 5K, I don't suppose you'll be running long enough to completely wipe out your glycogen stores. Still, something higher in carbs may be ideal.

Edit: and oh yeah, definitely eat foods you know your stomach can handle!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You don't need to carb load for a 5K, FYI. A lot of times I will get pasta, because it's often a safer choice. Pasta pomodoro is usually a safe choice, I try and add chicken for the protein myself. Specify how you want things cooked - I always ask them how they prepare things - places will cook veggies with butter, and will even soak chicken in oil before grilling it. Specify NO oil/NO saturated fats or whatever you think will set your stomach off. I race a lot, and greasy/fatty food absolutely kills my stomach. I always travel with Pepto Bismol chewables too, they are my miracle worker!
  • jessc4343
    Options
    You said no to 'The Schnitzel Shack'.

only for dinner; lunch on Saturday will be a German feast.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd 5K in the morning. I'm going to have pasta tonight only because last time I ran out of steam during the run (could of just been mental) so I don't think it would hurt to have a few extra carbs. Plus I don't really eat pasta any other time so might as well enjoy! Good luck tomorrow!

If you never really have pasta, having some the night before you're going to run a race, even just a 5K, is a bad idea. Never eat, bring, or wear anything different before a race or on race day that you haven't done in the time leading up to the race. It's a recipe for pain or at least discomfort.

If you don't normally eat pasta, you don't know how your body is going to react to a pasta heavy meal, and then you definitely don't know how it's going to react the next morning, while it's still processing that unfamiliar food, when you're out there exerting yourself on the race course.

Do yourself a favor and stick with foods that you've eaten before your training runs and know that you can digest well with no possibility of complications that night or the following morning. If you want more carbs, don't eat a ton more, it's only 3 miles and you can hinder rather than help if you go overboard. But just increase the amounts of carby foods you already eat. If you eat toast, maybe have an extra slice. Or have a serving and a half of cereal. Or an extra serving of your favorite granola, or whatever it is that's carb based and already in your current diet. Your race morning belly will appreciate it. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Does pasta the night before really help? I mean in 2 hours your blood sugar will drop because of the carb. How does that fall into what happens the next day? I have always wanted to ask that question because it makes no sense to me.

There's actually been a lot looked into and written about the pre-race carbo load meal. And a lot of resources have found that it's much more effective to increase carbs for the week or two before a long race rather than trying to do one big carbo-load.

Personally, I'd been running fairly poor paces in my training runs for my last half marathon and was expecting a slower finish than my first at around 2:15 or even 2:20, based on my training times. But I decided to try out the week long carb fuel up rather than eating heavier carbs only the day before (I never did the one carb-heavy meal, just increased carbs overall for the day prior to my long runs).

I ate at about a 50/25/25 ratio from Monday - Thursday and then a 60/20/20 ratio on Friday and Saturday. I went out there on Sunday morning and felt more energized during that race than for any long run I'd had during any of my training this whole year and I felt stronger and steadier on a whole during the race. And I ended up coming in at 2:04:52, just one second over the time of my first half. And the temps were about 15 degrees hotter during this one. So I'm definitely a convert to the increased carbs for the week before. (or, I would be if I planned on continuing my distance running)

But the body does have a way of storing the carbs and the carbs also store water with them in the body as well, so the extra carbs not only fuel your body but they help to keep you hydrated as well. Which I did also notice, despite the increased temps, I didn't even go through half of the 20oz of water that I carry during the duration of the race, when I normally go through about 15oz of it.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go with the Alpine chicken, the incredients sound safe as well as how it's cooked plus mashed potatoes are easy on the stomach. I avoid salad even though I normally eat it because it's more difficult to digest.
  • jessc4343
    Options

There's actually been a lot looked into and written about the pre-race carbo load meal. And a lot of resources have found that it's much more effective to increase carbs for the week or two before a long race rather than trying to do one big carbo-load.

Personally, I'd been running fairly poor paces in my training runs for my last half marathon and was expecting a slower finish than my first at around 2:15 or even 2:20, based on my training times. But I decided to try out the week long carb fuel up rather than eating heavier carbs only the day before (I never did the one carb-heavy meal, just increased carbs overall for the day prior to my long runs).

I ate at about a 50/25/25 ratio from Monday - Thursday and then a 60/20/20 ratio on Friday and Saturday. I went out there on Sunday morning and felt more energized during that race than for any long run I'd had during any of my training this whole year and I felt stronger and steadier on a whole during the race. And I ended up coming in at 2:04:52, just one second over the time of my first half. And the temps were about 15 degrees hotter during this one. So I'm definitely a convert to the increased carbs for the week before. (or, I would be if I planned on continuing my distance running)

But the body does have a way of storing the carbs and the carbs also store water with them in the body as well, so the extra carbs not only fuel your body but they help to keep you hydrated as well. Which I did also notice, despite the increased temps, I didn't even go through half of the 20oz of water that I carry during the duration of the race, when I normally go through about 15oz of it.

Thank you for both posts, this is great information to use & to share!
  • jessc4343
    Options
    Personally I would go with the Alpine chicken, the incredients sound safe as well as how it's cooked plus mashed potatoes are easy on the stomach. I avoid salad even though I normally eat it because it's more difficult to digest.

That dish looks like it's full of win!