Fat Kid Starting Insanity...Questions and Any takers?

Options
13»

Replies

• DrScrappy
    Options
    I'm about 181 and need to lose about 30-35lbs to be in healthy range. I'm finishing week 3 of Insanity. Cmon, do it. It seems like we can't because we are so out of shape, but I did and you can. Add me as a friend.

Did you see changes the first time you did it.... I really just want to shred some wieght because I know I won't get abs/definition the first time i do it.

I am not done yet, but in 3 weeks:
    I barely lost any lbs, or anything measurable
    My husband had loads of great things to say about my new butt and (eh hem, muscle strength)
    My abs are getting flatter ( so my dress and pants tell)

Aside from my butt, they are modest changes, but I feel so much better! It's an outer thing, but it's an inner thing too. You say you're a fat kid now, but you'll feel like an achiever. I'm confident that if I keep going the results will be so beautiful.
  • DrScrappy
    Options
    Ok I think I am going to buy it I hope it's worth it!

IF (big if there, honestly) you do it, trust me..it will be soooooooooo worth it.
  • DrScrappy
    Options
    My first suggestion is to modify any exercises that seem to be putting excess stress on your lower body joints (hips, knees, ankles).

I sometimes do the Insanity workouts with my mother, who is 5'10" and weighs about 220 pounds (I am 5'8" and 157.)
    She takes some of the movements down a notch (some of the jumping exercises, for example) to avoid overexerting herself... not to give you the impression that she's doing an inadequate workout - she has lost almost 20 pounds in the past month and appears to be the Incredible Shrinking Woman!

I have just read that sometimes people get discouraged and sometimes even quit Insanity because they can't keep up with the people in the video -- it is crucial to remember that:
    1) those folks are paid fitness models, and it is obvious that none of them are overweight.
    2) Insanity incorporates a "fit test" which you perform every few weeks throughout the program. THIS is how you healthily manage your progress, by comparing your new, improved results to your initial ones -- not by comparing yourself to the models mentioned above.

My second suggestion -- make sure you're fueling your body properly. 1200 calories won't cut it (I haven't even peeped at your diary, I just wanted to put that out there, I know a lot of MFP'ers are under the impression that that is the method to drop pounds).
    I love Insanity. It is high-powered and involved and most of the time I am surprised when the ending comes. It goes by so quickly, and then you are free to enjoy your day!

Happy training!

Exactly ^ that's the best advice.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm eagerly waiting for the discs to arrive so that I can start Insanity! In the meantime, I'm finishing up the 30 Day Shred and working through Couch to 5K. I'm also about 20 pounds heavier than you. Feel free to add me!
  • Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am doing insanity right now Im on week four! I havent taken my measurments but my clothes fit looser.

I am currently set to 1200 calories cause that is what this website says to loose 1.5 pounds per week. But honestly I havent lost any weight in the past two weeks of doing insanity. I have been stuck at 159. Its super discouraging. As you said about you said 1200 calories is not enough. Would that be Net? That means I would be eating at least 1500 with exersize making it 1200. I am just confused by this.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Insanity is one of my goals to do, but I'm getting ready to start 30DS and I'm going to do it after that.
  • munty76
    Options
    You have some excellent advice on here, so hope thats helped you bite the bullet and decied to do it.

I started insanity at 145lb with about 20lb of fat to lose..., today I will finish my 3rd week of insanity and although im still the same weight, I seem to have better definition and more muscle and look slimmmer.

What you have to remember is as you gain muslce you gain the ability to burn more calories...so as you stick to it you will then naturally lose inches as many have already said.

Before i started insanity i was nervous as i had not done anything like this before and i have knees that hurt already...the first few days i was really sore...but from the 4 day or so iv been better. i still get sore knees but dont ache in the 'i cant walk any more' way that i used to get.

There are exercises i cannot do in the program, so i just modify them... for example i cant do push ups so i found a way to do them using dumbells. so it takes the pressure of my wrists. Also when i first started i couldnt even complete all the moves, so i did what i could, rested untill my heart rate dropped enough.

There is a key message in the work out dvd that is make sure your heart rate has recovered before doing the nest exercise as it is interval training. We are ot meant to be able to go at the same pace as the rest of them on the dvd from day one, you need to do as much as you can. Iv seen various interviews with Shaun T who re-iteraes this very thing about keeping your form and doing as much as you can, but then stop if you cant go on.

When i first started my heart rate was maxing out at 184 - which i thought was very high, I wasnt lastig very long in each exercise. Now im heart rate hovers aroun 150-170 and peaks at about 175 and im also able to do more of each exercise before stopping for a break. I still need to pause the dvd , but less frequently now.

Finally there are specific warnings on the dvd that you should make sure you have cleared this with your doctor , esp if you suffer from any back or joint issues etc. So if there is any reason you feel it may be too much for you to start then by all means get cheked out first.

If anyone wants to add me to help push each other then feel free... always looking for like minded people to help get to our goals.
  • garmandj
    garmandj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity 3 weeks ago and I weighed 313 pounds. I was very nervous about how I would handle the workouts. In the beginning (the first week and a half) it was hard. I was discouraged because I just had to take breaks.

I'm now finishing my third week and I weigh 303 pounds. I have made progress in the workout itself. My goal was to make it all the way through the warm-up without taking a break. (I realize that sounds ridiculous, but wait until you try it.) My cardio has improved tremendously. I feel better and can do more and more of the workout.

I don't expect to lose all the weight on this program but it will get me in the best shape for the workouts that follow.

Just do what you can and push yourself safely.
  • Sherrim13
    Sherrim13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found it for $25 on Ioffer.com. I was a little nervous to buy it from the site because it comes from China/Japan but it took 17 days to arrive and everythign is in perfect condition.
  • danarod23
    danarod23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would maybe start with another program to get your body conditioned if it's not used to exercise. That that point Insanity is great! You do as much as you can in a short period of time. You dont have to keep up with Shawn T. That is the whole point. You keep track of how many whatevers you can do in the time he allows. Then the next time you do it you will see that you can do more. It is a wonderful program, but make sure you are ready for something that intense.
    I can help you with your journey if you want or need. I have some Beachbody program experience. Feel free to friend me and chat about it! Good luck!
  • Jonahprescott1994
    Options
    Alright, this post is over a month old so I am in serious doubt how much use my comment will be by now. Firstly, yes, Insanity would be a good program however I only recommend it for people who have 30lbs or less to lose simply because past that point you will have to modify too many of the moves way too much and you just won't get the most out of the exercise, I would recommend something lighter to begin with. Power 90, Turbo Jam, heck even Turbo Fire would be a better alternative. My fear is that you have chosen Insanity because it promises extreme results and based on the infomerical (or wherever else it was advertised) you are under the impression that it will get you the results you want the absolute fastest. This isn't always bad but it feeds the "quick fix" mentality. I have lost over 100lbs and I lost 30 of those lbs doing Insanity, let me tell you now it isn't a quick fix. It is a lifestyle change, and it will take time, it will take a extremely humbling and almost depressing amount of patience and it will take some serious hard work on your end. However, you CAN make it happen. On a daily basis I support other people with making this lifestyle change and body transformation and living the kind of life they want, so feel free to add and message me at my Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/jonah.prescott.3 . Also, to the people who were complaining about the price #1 Beachbody offers a payment plan through Beachbody.com to make it more affordable, but even if they didn't I have a friend who knows someone who pays $70 a month to go to a gym.. I have been doing these programs for over a year now and I don't pay a monthly membership to my downstairs and the fact is that these programs work astronomically well at CHANGING PEOPLES LIVES.. and I am not trying to be insulting, but please stop feeding yourself the excuses, because if you want to find them you will.. let me put your mind at ease.. the programs work.. you can check out my page as well if you like. The fact that they change your life and transform your body alone, is $120 really your price break on that?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I started it 3 days ago :) I don't think I could have handled it when I was bigger I can almost not handle it now, I just push through what I can. I dig deep and move at my pace not Shaun T's pace.
  • pinkreena711
    pinkreena711 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    agree 100% with that guy ^

but if you're really bent out of shape about the price, check Craigslist, there is always someone selling it for about half the price....

i don't do insanity because i have a fabulous gym membership with lots of classes but if i didn't i would buy Insanity in a heartbeat... i've never read a negative review...