Personal Trainers: Yea or Nay?

Options
What is your opinion on personal trainers, their usefulness, and how often to use them? I've met with one twice now, and both times, she's taught me how to do the basic moves for weight lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc.), which I needed to learn, since I'd never done weight lifting before. She set up a modified version of TNROWLFW for me, and suggested She checked up on my form, and said that it was perfect, so that's good.

Yesterday, after our second meeting, she said that next time she hoped we could do the workout routine together. Is this useful? It's $40.00 per session, and money is a little stretched around here. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    useful to help with technique and set up a plan, and then maybe a review now and then. Overkill and expensive for every session.
  • cinb50
    Options
    I have done both with a trainer and without. The trainer is good to learn how to use the equipment and after that they are just a tool to push you to work out. I have found having a buddy as serious as I am and committing to the days and times we will work out each week works just as well. Most gyms have staff that can help you use a new piece of equipment if you ask - for no additional charge !
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your outlook on things. Some people find it helps to make them feel accountable to someone else. Personally I don't find any motivation in needing to meet the expectations of someone who I am paying to set those expectations. If you've been trained on proper form, and you have a plan, I don't see much benefit that you'd be getting by having a trainer work out by your side. My cynical side says you are just paying her to get her workout done.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am not the kind of person that need the trainer to hold my hand, you do not need her anymore.....you have a good 6-8 weeks program right now.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As I have experience with weight lifting, my primary purpose of using a trainer is accountability. We are working on a plan and I'll have 3 lifting sessions/week, one day with him. I see him every week. It is worth it to me but I know my goals and what I want to achieve.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Beneficial if:
    - you need help learning how to use machines
    - you need help with technique
    - you need help getting a plan/routine put together
    - you need the motivation/accountability of checking in with someone weekly/monthly
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion on personal trainers, their usefulness, and how often to use them? I've met with one twice now, and both times, she's taught me how to do the basic moves for weight lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc.), which I needed to learn, since I'd never done weight lifting before. She set up a modified version of TNROWLFW for me, and suggested She checked up on my form, and said that it was perfect, so that's good.

Yesterday, after our second meeting, she said that next time she hoped we could do the workout routine together. Is this useful? It's $40.00 per session, and money is a little stretched around here. Thanks for your input!

I don't really have any input on your question b/c I've never used a trainer, but I use NROLFW too, and I'm curious why she modified it for you, and what modifications did she make?
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i not only lost a ton of weight with the direction of a personal trainer but i learned how to work out and what works for me. i hated half of what they made me do but realized the value as my workout performance drastically improved and when i saw the inches and lbs peel off. the kicker to all this is ...you have to show up lol i seen people sign up for personal training and not go .its expensive but such a great investment if you use it..
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Trainers are good for newbies and veterans alike. They can help with form, help you adjust your workouts for the results you want, help you prevent injuries and so on. What I wouldn't get from personal trainers is diet advice. My friend always suggests seeing a doctor for that. You don't need weekly sessions, unless you won't go workout otherwise. But once a month, or every 6 weeks is usually good for keeping you on your toes and maintaining good form.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    she's taught me how to do the basic moves for weight lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc.), which I needed to learn, since I'd never done weight lifting before. She set up a modified version of TNROWLFW for me, and suggested She checked up on my form, and said that it was perfect, so that's good.

She has taught you everything you need for right now, no need to spend $40 a session, I am guessing they want 2 sessions a week, for 6 weeks to have her hold your hand.. Get motivated and get to work, plenty of us on here to push you forward too.
  • Bus2012
    Bus2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I see my trainer once a week and love it (I go to the gym 4 times a week). I've always been around sport but he has taught me how to exercise properly and efficiently and introduced me to loads of different exercises and ways to exercise. No two sessions are the same and I get to use a lot of equipment that isn't available to the general public.

I've learned enough to work out on my own, and I do (I have a number of programs that have been developed for me also), but I love not knowing what I will be doing in my PT sessions and he always manages to push me that bit further than I think possible.

I've seen a lot of trainers that don't give a monkeys about their client, they put the client on a treadmill and stand there and watch them for 10 minutes - That's not a good trainer! I think the key is finding a trainer/gym/equipment/attitude that suits you and your aims.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer, he's very motivating. I originally started going because I wanted help on my form and being able to put together routines without getting stuck in a rut. I'm going twice a week now because I've found I like the pushing, plus it's when I lift heavier because I don't like asking for a spot at the gym.

But if you feel like you know what you're doing, and your trainer agrees that your form doesn't need work, then no, you probably don't need more than the occasional checkin to make sure you're still on track and haven't picked up any bad habits. I'd probably go to the first run-through session just to make sure I had it all down, but that's me.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    I meet with mine 5 days a week and have been for 2 years now. I have learned so much and she is always pushing me to go harder, faster and for me that's what I need!
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've managed to whip my own behind into shape without one. lol.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and I also have a personal trainer. Personal trainers are great if you can afford them but really it's up to you. If you feel like your getting alot out of the sessions and it's worth the money go for it.

The thing is that your body gets very used to the exercise you put it through very quickly. This is why people who just start an exercise show rapid improvement and then 6 months or a year down the line their gains are minimal. Also a lot of people that don't have time to design proper programs and diet plans find personal trainers extremely useful.

What I tell people at my consultations is this: If your a recreational exerciser with no specific goals in mind then you'd probably be better off taking a weekly class or going on a run a few times a week. However if you are somebody who has specific fitness goals whether it's to lose weight, gain weight, or to excel at a certain sport than a personal trainer can be very useful. I usually try to meet with my clients about once every week to two weeks and I see my personal trainer every two weeks.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer has been invaluable to me. I've been working with one all summer gearing up to train for a half marathon. The accountability has been great, but more than that is the program she has put together for me. She's changed me up 3 times now, and I've dropped time in my runs that I don't believe I would have done otherwise. I'm slow anyway, but I've gone from a 40 minute 3 miler to just over 29 minutes. I've changed the shape of my body and pushed myself further than I would have alone. All that being said, you have to decide at what point your finances need to be redirected.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love having one even though it is expensive. Every workout is different and hard as hell. I know with a trainer there to keep me going with no need for me to set up new equipment that in 1 hour I get everything done I need to. After my hour is up, I know I've done what I need to do and I have no guilt about needing to exercise more.

But all personal trainers aren't the same. Like any professional, you need one that works well for you. For me, it is money well spent and I even look forward to going to the gym to meet with mine.

Everyone is different. Find what works for you and your life and do it.
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was a bit dubious about them, I'd seen them at my old gym and they just didn't look bothered, I've just moved to Canada to start a new life and joined the gym, had a personal trainer induction (for free) and she (the manager) laid out what the next 12 months would look like, foundation stage, building/strength phases and a few others. I was impressed and I figured that after trying to lose the weight for the last 10years it was time for something drastic! I have over 100lbs to lose.

This evening I've had session number 6 - I see my pt twice a week and he's lovely, he can see when I'm flagging and encourages me to finish the set, or if he can see something just isnt going to happen, he changes the exercise. So far he's got me doing lots of stuff with dumbells and hand weights that I've never done outside of fitness classes and didn't feel comfortable doing on my own, he's adjusted my squats and ensures I do everything correctly. Although this evening the git made me do burpees - he admitted he hates them as well but apparently they have their uses!

So far I've lost 11lbs in 3 weeks, he has suggested I change my diet as well, cut out wheat and sugar (no fruit). I have found I already have tonnes more energy no more mid-morning or afternoon hunger lulls and my jeans already fit better and I feel fab! Can't wait till my next session (and that is something I really thought I would never hear myself say) and I feel fab and am really looking forward to how I'll feel after the next 50lbs comes off! He's also said I shouldn't plateau like I have done so many times before where I've then given up!

So if you can afford it and you're ready to lose weight once and for all (like me) then do it! Just make sure they are motivated to help you by more than the money - mine stressed he really wants to help people lose weight, he's been on his own weight loss journey so knows how hard it is!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    This was the best money I ever spent on myself. I worked with a great trainer for 1.5 years. Now, 8 years later, I am very serious and dedicated to my workouts and no longer use one. I never thought I would ever be as dedicated as I am now and I started exercising when I was 38 (after being diagnosed with a chronic and serious illness). I am now 46, managing my illness very well, and my butt (and the rest of me) looks better than it did when I was 26! I was only very slightly overweight, but not particularly active before then. I am in a 4-6 pant now (wore an 8-10 in college) due to my muscle gains. I don't think I would be where I am today without the trainer. It got me hooked.

That said, it is certainly a personal choice. I just thought I would share my experience. I do, however, think it is VERY important to find a good trainer. This is one that works hard to design your program, pushes you very hard, checks your form constantly, and doesn't look around the gym while you are training and flap his/her jaws socializing. Unfortunately, many of them don't fit the bill. Be picky.