Okay to have a big late-night snack?

Options
I follow a ‘six small meals a day’ plan, so I eat three meals (200 to 300 cals) and three snacks (100 to 200 cals) a day. But I’ve always had a habit of snacking on junky things at night, and when I started I found I was cheating a lot before bed, on my favorite junk foods (salty stuff or a candy bar). To help me break out of that, I made my set nighttime snack healthier versions of these junk foods – almonds, sometimes soy/flaxseed chips, and maybe a square or two of dark chocolate.

Since I started doing that, I haven’t cheated nearly as much because I know I have it built into my schedule every day. BUT it’s made my final snack the biggest meal of the day – around 350 cals. And I eat it at around 9.30 pm. I’m still sticking to my calorie limit (about 1200) and I’m not gaining weight or anything. Is it okay to be eating such a big meal so late?

Replies

• Ericaaa89
    Ericaaa89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that I can eat large meals late at night and still lose weight. Hell, sometimes I eat my 1,300 calorie dinner that late! If I'm not going to bed for another hour or two, I think that gives my body plenty of time to start the digestion process, but again, this is just me, I'm definitely no nutrition expert :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No. You are a gremlin and will begin a horrifying multiplication process if you eat too late.

Also, avoid water.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    within your macro/calorie allowance- fine

if it takes you over your macro/calorie allowance - bad
  • meg_thom
    Options
    As you probably know, it's better not to. They say breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!

Just because your body will absorb more of the fats etc if you are in bed/watching tv!

But you will lose weight anyway if you are eating less than you are burning up :)
  • tanisha_rae
    Options
    In my opinion (just experiential- not professional by any means) Late night snacking is fine... I am the same way.. Stay in your calorie allowance.. But also watch the carbs.... Carbs, if not done anything with break down into sugar and then store as fat (i believe im correct on this one- if not someone feel free to correct me) So it was always my goal at night if I was hungry to eat, yes, but to watch the amount of Carbs (and type of carbs) I was eating.... I would often eat some cheese, protein shake, almonds, if i was craving chocolate my standby was a tablespoon of chocolate chips- 70 cals! eaten 1 by 1 slowly... Yup... dont know if that helps at all.. just my thoughts.. :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat anytime I want. If I wake up a 3 am to go to the bathroom, I usually make my way down to the kitchen for a scoop of peanut butter.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    They say breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!

I have never bought into this theory. As a matter of fact, I eat the total opposite way.
  • meer__kat
    meer__kat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No. You are a gremlin and will begin a horrifying multiplication process if you eat too late.

Also, avoid water.

That made me LOL :)
  • mama4loca
    Options
    me too lol
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Late eating putting weight on you is a myth.

It's purely calories in vs calories out.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i eat non stop except for the 6.5 or so hours im unconscious. trust me if i could figure out how to intravenously ingest peanut butter in my sleep, i would.

edit: stupid phone and it's touchy buttons
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i try hard to have a protein snack before im off to bed ..i keep the carbs very low late in the evening .. usually its a whey and casein shake
  • DIYmomma
    DIYmomma Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Also, avoid water.

AHAHAHAH!! <3
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, it's better not to. They say breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!

Just because your body will absorb more of the fats etc if you are in bed/watching tv!

this a a MYTH.. a lie.
    Meal timing is irreverent.. the body doesnt say "oh, its 11pm im going to absorb more into fat!"

Eat however you want, but stay within your calories and macros.

that said, for most people it will become EASIER if you eat large meals, and stop constantly snacking.
    its less restrictive, gives more food options, and is even easier to live with.