Convict Conditioning

Options
Anyone read the book and/or are doing the program?

What do you think of it?

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I haven't but I do a Barstarzz workout. http://www.barstarzz.com/

http://youtu.be/j3MTqRWPiZU
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I haven't but I really like stuff that Dragon Door publishes
  • alyrae1
    Options
    Love watching barrstarz videos. Those guys are crazy in shape and look awesome.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've read it, am starting the program now. It really opens your eyes up. Using weights seems pretty foolish...
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    Weights have their place but it depends on your goals and expectations
  • columbus27
    Options
    I stopped using most weights about a year ago. I'm just tired. I go and get it in at the park and at home. Nothing like a guy who was 250 doing 16 pull ups at the time.
  • columbus27
    Options
    Her is my winter progression workout. Don't be fooled by those knee push-ups.

Levels for push up progression
    1. Knee Assisted (50 reps to progress)
    2. Non assisted regular (50 to progress)
    3. Diamond (40 to progress)
    4. Side to Side (40 to progress)
    5. Elevated Min 18” (40 to progress)
    6. Elevated Diamond (40 to progress)
    7. One arm half way (20 to progress)
    8. One arm (10 to progress)
    9. One arm explosive (16 to progress)
    10. One arm chest clap
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Weights have their place but it depends on your goals and expectations

The book did a lot of comparisons between using weights and your body for building strength. He came up with a few good points that I have seen reflected by people on this site numerous times. The biggest one is how easy it is to injure yourself while using weights. I've got a guy on my FL who is a very seasoned weight lifter. Last week, he screwed up his back while putting a heavy barbell over his shoulders.

With that, and everything else, I have to ask: Why lift weights when you can just move your body?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Her is my winter progression workout. Don't be fooled by those knee push-ups.

Levels for push up progression
    1. Knee Assisted (50 reps to progress)
    2. Non assisted regular (50 to progress)
    3. Diamond (40 to progress)
    4. Side to Side (40 to progress)
    5. Elevated Min 18” (40 to progress)
    6. Elevated Diamond (40 to progress)
    7. One arm half way (20 to progress)
    8. One arm (10 to progress)
    9. One arm explosive (16 to progress)
    10. One arm chest clap

Sounds good! CC focuses on doing a full body workout with just six progressive exercises.

Push-ups
    Squats
    Pull-ups
    Leg Raises
    Bridges and
    Handstand Push-ups.

I just started it this week, so I'm on step 1

Wall Pushups (3 sets of 50 reps to progression)
    Shoulderstand Squats (3 sets of 50)
    Vertical Pulls (3 sets of 50) and
    Knee Tucks (3 sets of 50)

I have no idea how long it will take to progress to step 2, but I imagine it'll be just over a month for each.

It is recommended not to start the handstand push-ups or bridges until you complete step 6 of the first four exercises - to ensure you have the strength and soft tissue development to handle the exercises.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes I read both book, Convict Conditioning 1 and 2. Both books are good read but I already do a lot of pushups, chin ups and squats before I read the books. I am currently working on the handstand pushup section but I have completely skipped the bridging in book one. Another thing is this, i don't feel that the amount of pushup, chin ups, ect are that difficult to master and you might not get the results you want with the low reps and sets.

For example currently I can do 100 pushups in one set so the next step is close pushups. Problem is this, close/diamond pushup focus more on your triceps then shoulders and chest and when you get to this step you stop normal pushups Then the next is uneven pushups which I really like. I dont know it seems you start working on one area and then quickly abandon that area as 2 sets of 20 pushups seems too easy.

FYI I can plank like that cat in the book. Real talk.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Yes I read both book, Convict Conditioning 1 and 2. Both books are good read but I already do a lot of pushups, chin ups and squats before I read the books. I am currently working on the handstand pushup section but I have completely skipped the bridging in book one. Another thing is this, i don't feel that the amount of pushup, chin ups, ect are that difficult to master and you might not get the results you want with the low reps and sets.

For example currently I can do 100 pushups in one set so the next step is close pushups. Problem is this, close/diamond pushup focus more on your triceps then shoulders and chest and when you get to this step you stop normal pushups Then the next is uneven pushups which I really like. I dont know it seems you start working on one area and then quickly abandon that area as 2 sets of 20 pushups seems too easy.

I believe the purpose of doing the close push ups is to start getting your body adapted to moving your body with your arms more centred under your body - like you would have to do with one-arm push ups. If you just kept the wider stance, your muscles wouldn't be as efficient while doing the "close" stance required to centre your weight to the working arm.

Same for pull ups and handstand push ups.

Why aren't you doing the bridge?
  • nickhuffman74
    Options

I believe the purpose of doing the close push ups is to start getting your body adapted to moving your body with your arms more centred under your body - like you would have to do with one-arm push ups. If you just kept the wider stance, your muscles wouldn't be as efficient while doing the "close" stance required to centre your weight to the working arm.

Same for pull ups and handstand push ups.

Why aren't you doing the bridge?

Good point about the close pushups. We will see. I will make it through all levels of pushups, chinups and squats :).
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    With that, and everything else, I have to ask: Why lift weights when you can just move your body?

For a variety of reasons, could be due to certain limitations, could be for enjoyability reasons, could be for convenience reasons, etc. I think body weight stuff is great and my personal overall goals are basically body weight stuff but I also like using weights. I am also not sure what the book shows for progressions on pullups for females, specifically overweight females but that is definitely an area where I need to both lose weight and build strength before I ever get anywhere near doing a pullup.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options

For a variety of reasons, could be due to certain limitations, could be for enjoyability reasons, could be for convenience reasons, etc. I think body weight stuff is great and my personal overall goals are basically body weight stuff but I also like using weights. I am also not sure what the book shows for progressions on pullups for females, specifically overweight females but that is definitely an area where I need to both lose weight and build strength before I ever get anywhere near doing a pullup.

They have several levels of pullups. At the end of the day you would do some type of assisted pull up until you built strength. Also they do not differentiate between men and women everyone is treated the same.
  • columbus27
    Options

Australian pull-up (row on dip bar) 20 to progress
    neg chin up 10
    1/2 range chin up 10
    full chin up 10
    pullup
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This book looks really interesting, couple of questions...

1) I don't have a pull up bar, is this a problem or can I use something else/skip these exercises?
    2) is it any good on a kindle?

Thanks!