Road Map Question

Options
I have tried to read the road map posts and understand:

I'm 282 lbs and 65 in in height. I put in all of my information and my TDEE-20% is 2267. So, if I want to lose weight I need to eat under this amount. Is this correct? How far under this amount? This seems like ALOT of food and I'm just really confused .Maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly.

I've been doing some walking and some cardio in the evenings and I know that with this method I would not eat any exercise calories back.

Anyone that has had success with this have any suggestions/advice? Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    OR - you could just use this site as it is set up, it will work just fine.

The whole "Road Map" thing is reallyonly important when you get much closer to your goal weight. You will be better served by setting your goal here to "Lose 2 pounds a week" and eating that. Don't complicate this.

Thousands of people use this site as it is set up, and lose lots of weight. You can worry about all that "road map" stuff when you have lost 50 lbs and are stalled in a plateau for a month.

Just reacalculate whenever this site asks you to...when you lose an amount of weight, it will say "Do you want to recalculate?" Always do so.

Use this as a guide for setting your goals here:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Keep it simple. Don't overthink this, or you'll overwhelm yourself.

Good luck!
  • TashaB512
    Options
    OR - you could just use this site as it is set up, it will work just fine.

The whole "Road Map" thing is reallyonly important when you get much closer to your goal weight. You will be better served by setting your goal here to "Lose 2 pounds a week" and eating that. Don't complicate this.

Thousands of people use this site as it is set up, and lose lots of weight. You can worry about all that "road map" stuff when you have lost 50 lbs and are stalled in a plateau for a month.

Just reacalculate whenever this site asks you to...when you lose an amount of weight, it will say "Do you want to recalculate?" Always do so.

Use this as a guide for setting your goals here:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Keep it simple. Don't overthink this, or you'll overwhelm yourself.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! So, I did this and it tells me my goal is 1550/day. So, when I exercise should I still eat those calories back too? I am having such a hard time eating all these calories. I'm very busy at work and barely have time to eat my lunch so I think I am overwhelming myself, as you said not to. :-) Sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I just really want to do well at this and have great success.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! So, I did this and it tells me my goal is 1550/day. So, when I exercise should I still eat those calories back too? I am having such a hard time eating all these calories. I'm very busy at work and barely have time to eat my lunch so I think I am overwhelming myself, as you said not to. :-) Sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I just really want to do well at this and have great success

Honestly, you could probably do 1550 for a while without eating back exercise calories. But in time, you will start to have energy and perserverence problems.

You could eat 1800 on your exercise days and 1500 on your rest days and be fine. The problem with not eating a little more on the days you exercise, is that you may start to be tired, maybe lethargic, unable to focus, and your nutrition is going to suffer unless you make a real effort at excellent nutrition. Eating less than recommended actually can lead to you giving up, because you will feel deprived or that it's too much work. You need to eat.

I know people believe you have to eat every calorie and people believe it isn't so important. I personally believe you should eat the exercise calories always. I always did when I was actively losing - 55lbs in seven months - exactly 1.96 lbs per week.

So pick a method and stick to it. If you stall out, regroup. Just don't ever give up. Ever. Save your own life. You have to, no one else can do it for you. Find what works, don't stop until you do.