1400 Cal for a GUY

Options
I'm weighing in today at 210lbs. MFP states that I need to eat 1400 cals a day to lose a lbs a week? Is this true? I thought that a guy should have atleast 1800. Right?

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    The lowest I went to was 1460 at first and did well with it, though I made sure I ate all of my exercise calories. When I got to around 180ish I upped my calories to make less of a deficit. If you have the weight (fat) to lose then 1400 isn't bad, but please make sure you eat what you burn.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions or anything.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    it sounds like if you want to eat 1800 cals a day you're gonna have to work out for it bud ;) And if you're eating right, 1400 cals is a lot (to me anyways lol)
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is at 1450/day. I am working out 5 times a week so I try to eat my exercise calories too. I figure I will reset when I get to 200 lbs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I personally would never go that low, and your numbers don't make sense. I'm at 215 and with a 1 lbs/wk loss setup, it's recommending 1870 cals for me. I doubt your 5 lbs less is dropping you to 1400 cals/day. I don't plan to ever go lower than 1700 cals/day...it's just asking to lose LBM. I'll just workout a bit more to burn the final pounds.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I personally would never go that low, and your numbers don't make sense. I'm at 215 and with a 1 lbs/wk loss setup, it's recommending 1870 cals for me. I doubt your 5 lbs less is dropping you to 1400 cals/day. I don't plan to ever go lower than 1700 cals/day...it's just asking to lose LBM. I'll just workout a bit more to burn the final pounds.

His numbers make sense if he is set for 2 pounds a week instead of your 1 and has a different normal activity level as you.

Your deficit and what is safe to set it at has a lot to do with your body fat % and not your weight. If you are 200 pounds but have 9% body fat then 2 pounds a week is a bad idea. At the same time, if you are 200 pounds and have 24% body fat then you are fine. Each of us are different when it comes to setting up our nutritional plan, that's why the site asks for information before spitting out the number.