Scooby macros !?

Options
I just heard about the scooby TDEE calculator and people have said good things about it. However, I just typed in all my info and set it at 'lose fat, gain muscle' with the macro % on auto-set. It gave me 20% protein & 60% carbs & 20% fat!? Is this right??

Ht: 5'5"
CW: 120lbs
Workouts/week: 2-3 days strength training & 2-3 days power yoga

I'm really just trying to find a fairly accurate TDEE calculation because, I'll be honest, it makes me nervous to eat more calories, but I know I probably should be :ohwell:

Thanks!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just heard about the scooby TDEE calculator and people have said good things about it. However, I just typed in all my info and set it at 'lose fat, gain muscle' with the macro % on auto-set. It gave me 20% protein & 60% carbs & 20% fat!? Is this right??

Ht: 5'5"
    CW: 120lbs
    Workouts/week: 2-3 days strength training & 2-3 days power yoga

I'm really just trying to find a fairly accurate TDEE calculation because, I'll be honest, it makes me nervous to eat more calories, but I know I probably should be :ohwell:

Thanks!!

i would instead focus on getting in adequate amounts of protein and fats then let the rest of your macros fall wherever. Setting arbitrary upper limits on your macros is kinda silly to me, unless you have a medical reason to do so
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but the info I've read is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I would think that you'd need more protein since you're building muscle. There is a group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less (EM2WL) ... you could peruse that group or those forum posts to find more info.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    How Calorie Line Estimates BMR/REE

According to a 2005 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association (see references below), and a 2008 study published in the American Journal of Nutrition, the Mifflin-St Jeor formula is the best ways to estimate REE. For many people it will come within about 10% of your actual REE. It is, however, not as accurate for seniors, and does not work well across all ethnic groups. If you are a weight lifter with lots of muscle mass and no fat, these formulas don't apply. In other words, while these formulas are pretty good, they must be taken, so to speak, with a grain of salt. For most people, they will nevertheless give you a decent approximation of how many calories your body burns while it is at rest.

The Mifflin-St Jeor Formula for BMR:

Men: REE = 9.99 * (weight in kg) + 6.25 * (height in cm) - 4.92 * (age years) + 5
    Women: REE = 9.99 * (weight in kg) + 6.25 * (height in cm) - 4.92 * (age years) - 161

This link also provides a TDEE calculator based on the Mifflin/St. Jeor formula

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but the info I've read is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I would think that you'd need more protein since you're building muscle. There is a group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less (EM2WL) ... you could peruse that group or those forum posts to find more info.

That's what I was always thinking, too.. which was why I was so shocked by the percentages it gave! I'll check out that group, thanks!!