I NEED SOME IDEAS TO BREAK THIS CYCLE.

Options
Hi everyone, In January of 2012 I began a life changing lifestyle transformation. I weighed in at 308.6 pounds and was a total slob. I started by walking, drinking more water, watching my calorie intake ect ect. I dropped fast weight month after month and lost close to 45 pounds in 5 months. I then started running a couple miles every four to five days, and continued my daily walks. I continued to lose weight and have gotten close to the 60lbs mark. This is where I need some help, in the last two months I have gotten to a point where I have not lost any significant weight, however my exercise routine is run one day, about 1 hours worth of fast paced aerobics/weight training the next day and over and over, take one day off a week for recoup. I've gained muscle in places I don't remember having muscles in, im bigger all the way around, but no matter what I do I can't seem to lose any more weight. I eat between 2-2500 calories a day, I don't eat junk food, I drink plenty of water. It's frustrating and I need some help if you all have anything that might help, tell me please :)
peace. Ace

Replies

• VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    your body is used to the workouts you do now, you need muscle confusion try different workouts you havent done yet!
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    I have been in the same boat with my weight loss at a stand still. I tried something that I read and it helped. Stop eating at 6p.m and don't eat again until 10 a.m. I tried that for a few days and it started moving again, I had over a lb weight loss this morning, Finally. People fast for sieting. This is quiet a bit of hours to fast before eating. I think I need to start doing this at least 3 days a week.
  • annabell48
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. You have hit a platuea, my friend. Yes, hitting a platuea is very frustrating, been there, done that. With keeping your calories and exericising the way it is, or should I say as close to it as possible, change the amount of time (decrease no more than half-an-hour a day) working out for about a week max, then go back to the full amount that you are currently doing. This should shock your body enough, and get you back on track with your weight loss. The other option is to keep going at the pace you are going and just wait until your body is ready to start shedding more weight. The key thing is staying presistant, and not give up on yourself.
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have hit your plateau...For me (when I lost crazy weight - 60lbs), my plateau had lasted a couple of weeks. I learned from my trainers in the gym, and from my nutrionist that it was definitely time for me to change EVERYTHING! Like, my workouts - I needed to change my routine...I had to stop using the treadmill and start using the ellipticle, instead of lifting weights, it was changing to the kettlebell...

Regarding my daily meals - I also had to change things up...Instead of chicken breast, turkey breasts...I started to try different low fat/high protein recipes.

During a plateau, for me, my body got used to the way things were being done...Once I changed things up, my body started to react differently, and the weight started to drop again...

You can always go back to your old workouts, although, right now, it is about CHANGE...My body was complacent with what I was doing, and until I changed my weight didn't drop...

Hope this helps!!! Sounds like you are on the right path!! Congratulations for losing 60lbs!!!
  • Jackie82782
    Options
    I have been working with trainers and heard a few different things. Weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% training. Drinking plenty of water, excellent. Tracking your food and intake, great. What kinds of foods are you eating? Is there a ton of sodium, fat, calories? Weight training burns calories longer than cardio, but cardio is the best for heart health and to do more often. Ideally, from my trainers perspectives, you should be training 2-3 times a week (on your own is fine) and cardio at least 30 minutes a day 5 days per week. It sounds overwhelming, but I used to do nothing at all and weighed 250, now I am at 192 and still going down. Pushing yourself in constant movement AT LEAST 10 minutes each day is necessary, then work up to 30.I like to train and thwen do cardio in same day so I can knock them both out and feel my best. Give yourself one day off in between training but still do cardio, sometimes I take two days off. green tea is a good way to lose weight but you have to drink a TON. Tosca Reno has a good "Eat Clean" diet with some interesting food. Power bars and clif builder protein bars are good for before and after work outs. If you eat fast food, you should try to stop. None of it is good.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I originally started at 311.5 and now I'm down to 202.1 You're more than welcome to check out my diary for ideas but truthfully I don't eat the best. Though I've just recently broke my plateau by setting MFP to lose 2lbs and eat everything including my exercise. Though last night i didn't get a chance too.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    But has your body fat percentage changed? It's hard to tell from your post, but you may be reaching an area where the loss of "fat" weight may be off-set to some degree by gains in muscle mass.

As others have said, you may be plateauing. But usually when I hear about plateauing, it's a matter of performance or muscle gains, not fat loss. When it comes to losing fat, generally the key remains to burn more calories than you take in, even if you're doing the same routine.

Either way, it might not hurt to change up your routine and give your body something new to adapt to.
  • tgermanyk
    Options
    Right!! If you have been running almost everyday since you started do another cardio for awhile.. Mix it up!! I love spin!! It is one of the best cardio workouts I think is out there and you can do it at your own pace while getting support from instructor!!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a exercise break..a WHOLE WEEK..and its killing me..

but..I am also on a 5 month plateau.. I am hoping this resets my body..and I can go for it next week..and kick it in gear.

Countless good people on here..have been telling me time and time again I need to do this...it maybe something you want to consider..

as well as a diet break...up to maintenance...then lower.. time frame suggests 2 weeks..to 2 months!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    oh..and FYI..I did EVERYTHING to switch it up(workouts..etc) lowered calories..and even bumped calories up!...and nothing has worked for me...
  • Ace77man
    Options
    thanks, it sounds like a good idea, but that not doing anything feeling would kill me at this point. I appreciate the response though