WHAT DO I EAT

Options
Hello MFP friends,

I have been working out for the last two months and so far I'm at about a 9 lbs loss, which is really 4lbs since my water weight fluctuates the scale about 5lbs. I love to workout and feel bad when I don't get a sweat in but when it comes too food it gets complicated.

So, I was wondering if anyone who has lost 20lbs or more could share with me what they eat on a typical day. Whether that be through access to your diaries or just listing what you would eat from breakfast all the way down to dinner/snacks and how many calories are you consuming.

Hopefully, that will give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong and why I'm not losing the weight I should be losing.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• RougeIllusion
    RougeIllusion Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary it's opened, I just had a weigh in today and I'm down 25 pounds :smile:
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    3 DAY DIET(AKA Military Diet)

DAY 1:
    Breakfast--1/2 Grapefruit, 1 Slice Toast, 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter, and Coffee or Tea
    Lunch--1/2 Cup of Tuna, 1 Slice of Toast, and Coffee or Tea
    Dinner--2 Slices of any type meat (About 3 ounces) 1 Cup of Green Beans, 1/2 Banana, 1 Small Apple, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (YUM)!!!

Tip to Try: Warm the apple and/or banana and eat them over the ice cream. Delicious!

DAY 2:
    Breakfast--1 egg, 1 Slice of Toast, and 1/2 Banana
    Lunch--1 Cup of Cottage Cheese (Or 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, and 5 Saltine Crackers)
    Dinner--2 Hot Dogs, (no buns), 1 Cup of Broccoli, 1/2 Cup of Carrots, 1/2 Banana, and 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

DAY 3:
    Breakfast--5 Saltine Crackers, 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, and 1 Small Apple
    Lunch-1 Hard-Boiled Egg, and 1 Slice of Toast
    Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

I have followed this diet 3 times....2x I lost 7# each time, and 1 time I didn't lose anything because I mixed up a couple of the meals on accident.....you have to follow it TO THE LETTER. But I love it. The first day I always feel a bit hungry, so I just load up on the water. Then day 2 and 3 are pretty easy. I hope this helps!!
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Let's see...

My current calorie goal is 1,730 calories.

Breakfast is one-half cup of Fiber One cereal, one-half cup of milk, one 4oz serving of Stonyfield Greek Yogurt (I alternate between three flavors, 90-100 calories) and morning coffee with milk and sugar. 325 calories in total.

Night snack is a cup of strawberries with a half cup of frozen yogurt. 200 calories.

That leaves 1,205 calories divided between lunch and dinner. Lunch is generally leftovers from the night before.

I try to keep my protein at 120 grams. So that is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Ground turkey breast and chicken breast are very good for this, although I will have steak about once or twice a week for variety. I try to keep carbs below 200 grams, although most days I seem to keep it between 100-150 grams. Some will say you have to keep it below 100, but everyone is different and I think it's a matter of balancing the good and bad carbs, having veggies instead of bread, etc. I also seem to see a weight drop when I have several days of high protein/low carb and then a couple of days lower-than-normal protein/high-than-normal carbs. Some people call this carb cycling and apparently I was doing it without knowing what it was called.

Sodium is a killer for me though, and one of the things I struggle with daily. If it is one of things you are not tracking I suggest you add it to your dairy. When I keep mine lower I see a change. Water is important for this as well. Getting more than 80 oz of water a day has helped me a lot, and I try to get even more than that on days were I have eaten too much sodium.

My goal is to lose half a pound a week, so I do not eat back my exercise calories because I see that as helping my goals. If I net below my BMR for more then a few days in a row, though, I get tried and irritable. It will probably depend on how many calories you burn on a daily basis, but if you have a large deficit then I recommend eating those exercise calories to keep your body healthy.

I don't believe in cheat days or meals. I have enough calories in every day goal that I can pretty much eat what I want, in moderation of course. Sometimes it's nice to have day in which you don't have to worry about what you are eating, but having that day every week seems counter productive to me.

Just my two cents. I have lost 30 pounds in 9 months, which may seem slow, but I know that this is a lifestyle that I can keep doing for the rest of my life.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies,

This is all helpful info. I struggle so much with the balance. Sometimes I'm over in my sugar intake and sodium and the bad thing about it, I'm not a sweet eater which shows you how much sugar is in food that you don't prepare at home. Looking at all the advice I def have to prepare more foods at home, drink more water (I wasn't nearly drinking enough) and do simple swaps.

I know I can do this and I'm glad I'm talking with others who understands.

Thank you all
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well first thing is first, be sure to eat! Be as slow and steady as possible which is so damn annoying but it works!

I typically eat the same things during the week and then switch it up on weekends.

Breakfast
    Meal 1 - 1 cup cottage cheese and two cups of any type of fruit. I'm on a blueberry pineapple kick right now.
    Meal 2 - 1 slice double fiber toast, two scrambled eggs, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon butter, kiwis, 1 cup milk.
    Meal 3 - 1 cup Greek yogurt, 3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds, 2 cups of fruit.

I take my vitamins and supplements with breakfast.

Lunch I will usually do leftovers from the night before just a smaller portion.

Dinner
    Meal 1 - Black bean nachos with yellow rice.
    Meal 2- Salsa chicken
    Meal 3 - Italian chicken
    Meal 4- Lean meatballs and mashed potatoes
    Meal 5- Homemade pizza
    Meal 6- Homemade lasagna
    Meal 7- BBQ chicken

If I'm still hungry, and some days I am depending on my workouts, I will eat veggies with dip and yogurt.
  • jchaparro
    Options
    This is very usefull. Thanks for all the posts.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    3 DAY DIET(AKA Military Diet)

DAY 1:
    Breakfast--1/2 Grapefruit, 1 Slice Toast, 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter, and Coffee or Tea
    Lunch--1/2 Cup of Tuna, 1 Slice of Toast, and Coffee or Tea
    Dinner--2 Slices of any type meat (About 3 ounces) 1 Cup of Green Beans, 1/2 Banana, 1 Small Apple, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (YUM)!!!

Tip to Try: Warm the apple and/or banana and eat them over the ice cream. Delicious!

DAY 2:
    Breakfast--1 egg, 1 Slice of Toast, and 1/2 Banana
    Lunch--1 Cup of Cottage Cheese (Or 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, 1 Hard Boiled Egg, and 5 Saltine Crackers)
    Dinner--2 Hot Dogs, (no buns), 1 Cup of Broccoli, 1/2 Cup of Carrots, 1/2 Banana, and 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

DAY 3:
    Breakfast--5 Saltine Crackers, 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, and 1 Small Apple
    Lunch-1 Hard-Boiled Egg, and 1 Slice of Toast
    Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

I have followed this diet 3 times....2x I lost 7# each time, and 1 time I didn't lose anything because I mixed up a couple of the meals on accident.....you have to follow it TO THE LETTER. But I love it. The first day I always feel a bit hungry, so I just load up on the water. Then day 2 and 3 are pretty easy. I hope this helps!!

I can't help but laugh at this. The day you make me eat 2 hot dogs is the day I stop caring about the food I eat.
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always had a hard time drinking water too, so lately I've been drinking the Crystal Light mixes and Propel flavored water....helps SO MUCH!

Keep up the good work =)

And as for the hot dogs, I couldn't believe it either, but I can't argue with the results...and there are healthier options for hot dogs to choose