Thryoid Issues Sept. 2011 at 210 lbs Sept. 2012- 170 lbs

Options
OK. Who goes to the Dr. and gets "good news"? ME....that's who. I wanted to share a little of my story. I hope it helps others out there suffering thinking that they cannot lose the weight just because they have thyroid issues.

I started my journey June 2010 at 237 lbs. I was sent to the Thyroid DR. in Nov. 2010 at 210 lbs. I was hyper at that stage in the game...it was a "game" for sure that I had entered the next year. Tests...tests and meds...meds....

My thyroid bounced all over the place. I went for being hyper to normal to slightly hypo. I was told then I suffered thryoiditus (sp).

Put on Cytomel...and then finally on Sythroid.

I kept fighting. I wanted to not feel tired, I wanted the mood swings to stop...wait oh yet....I'm a sufferer of depression and anxiety too. That in itself didn't help. Heck! I was on medication for the moods that actually make you gain weight too.

I kept fighting. I wanted to show everyone that I was taking care of myself so that we could discheper if indeed it were symptoms of the meds or something else.

What am I getting at? Yes. It's difficult for those of us with thyroid issues to lose weight, but NOT and I repeat NOT impossible.

I did it...and I'm still doing it!

Meds make me feel better too, but by no means was it the "magic" pill to my loss. Everyone must take the responsibility and fight with discipline for nutrition and exercise. Everything else will fall in place.

My goal has not been met yet, I would like to get to at least 150 or I'll take 155. I want a healthy BMI. It was so great going into a DR. office today and being told I'm doing something right!!! Seeing that old scale just the big part stop at 150 and her doing the little one up, instead of jumping to 200 and going down :) LOL!

Please don't make excuses of having thyroid issues or other issues for your lack of not being able to lose the weight or make the change. Yes! Its hard, but if it were easy it would not be a change...

Good Luck!!!

Replies

• tansgp
    Options
    Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I too have thyroid issues and feel like it is impossible to loose weight. I was diagnosed in 2007. A friend of mine told me about myfitnesspal.com so I signed up yesterday and today is my first day with the program.

I was also diagnosed earlier this year with Celiac's disease (gluten intolerance) and have even modified what I thought was a healthy diet before. It's really healthy now though. Mostly fruits, veggies and lean meats with an occasionally GF grain. Still the weight is not dropping and it does get discouraging. I'm also told it could be menopause and those lbs are really hard to get off. I'm hoping and praying that this program will help me get back to my pre-thyroid problems weight of 130. Got a ways to go, but trying to take it one day at a time.

Thanks again.
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! After being diagnosed in 2002 (hypothroid) and struggling for years with the extra weight and then having 3 kids from 2008 to 2011 and getting up into the 280's, I've decided I'm done feeling sorry for myself and it's time to take charge for my family. It has been so slow and sometimes I stop and wonder if it will be possible but I'm gonna keep pushing forward and change mine and my kids lifestyle for the better.

SW on MFP 234
    CW 226
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I had suspected I had thyroid issues- I had all he symotoms- steady weight gain, terrible fatigue, hair loss, ringing in my ears,mental fog, high cholesterol,depression,mood swings. Finally a blood test came back and I was on the border by a few tenths of a point as to be able to start hormones.So my doctor refused. I have no health insurance right now and can't afford to go to an endocrinologist . So I read online that L-Tyrosine helps your thyroid. I've been taking it and feeling better but the weight barely comes off.I'm glad I hear of others that have ths problem.At least it's not impossible, just a bigger chalenge than for the average Joe.Good luck
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I can spell- my kybord keeps omitting letters! lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    way to go. I suspect some thyroid issues as well but unfortunately they aren't so great at finding things soemtimes.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss; you look fantastic!!!!!! And thanks so much for your words of encouragement! I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism a little over a week ago and was put on Levothyroxine. Just today I noticed a pick up of energy (although this could be my imagination!). My intention is to continue just as I have all summer (eating healthy & working out regularly) with the hopes that once my metabolism stabilizes, maybe the weight will start to drop a bit quicker (it's been soooo slooowwwww).
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be medical advice. It's just my experience with my hypothyroidism.

For all with the hypothyroid problem, you might want to check your water supply for fluoride. Many cities add it to the water thinking it helps protect against tooth decay. Fluoride, however, has also been prescribed as a drug to reduce the activity of the thyroid gland. Up through the 1950s, doctors in Europe and South America prescribed fluoride to reduce thyroid function in patients with over-active thyroids (hyperthyroidism).

Our town adds fluoride to our water. Last February I started purchasing all my drinking and cooking water. I had to do some research to find a source that had no fluoride. As of August, my doctor actually lowered my Levothyroxine dose and he is checking me again in October to see if we can reduce it further. To study this on your own, google Fluoride + Thyroid. One site is http://www.fluoridealert.org/issues/health/thyroid/
  • Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I too have thyroid issues and feel like it is impossible to loose weight. I was diagnosed in 2007. A friend of mine told me about myfitnesspal.com so I signed up yesterday and today is my first day with the program.

I was also diagnosed earlier this year with Celiac's disease (gluten intolerance) and have even modified what I thought was a healthy diet before. It's really healthy now though. Mostly fruits, veggies and lean meats with an occasionally GF grain. Still the weight is not dropping and it does get discouraging. I'm also told it could be menopause and those lbs are really hard to get off. I'm hoping and praying that this program will help me get back to my pre-thyroid problems weight of 130. Got a ways to go, but trying to take it one day at a time.

Thanks again.
    I too have under active thyroid and celiacs. Apparently the two are connected.ive been on here 6weeks now and weight coming off slowly. Thanks for the encouragement
  • sirdars
    sirdars Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi i also have an underactive thyroid it is hard to lose the weight but as you say not impossible i have lost 14 lbs so far so i am proud of that i get frustrated sometimes and want to give up but i realise stressing about it wont make me lose weight so i just stick to a low fat diet and excersise everyday. It is good to know that i am not the only one who struggles though so thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!