2 months and almost no change....

Options
Hello all - Been running for 2 months now and as of two weeks ago really started hitting weights again. I'm actually a fairly active, in shape 33 year old male. I am 5'11", 216 pounds. My fiance says I'm nuts for thinking I am overweight, although I know I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so.

I started 2 months ago really hitting the treadmill again, I average about 20 miles+ a week at a pretty brisk 6mph+ pace depending how the run is going. Some faster, some slower, but I work pretty hard.

I started off 2 months ago at 223lbs. I've seen almost no change in 2 months, I watch my intake, I work my butt off running, and I lift a pretty decent amount of weight 3 - 4 times a week at this point.

At the pace I am at and the calorie intake I am with, I should be seeing 2lbs a week in drop. But I am seeing far less than that, and I seem to be stuck for the last 4 weeks at 216lbs.

Main question, would it be muscle I'm packing on that would be keeping me from losing the actual numerical weight (scale)? I'm fairly genetically lucky and with little work, I can bulk up quick, with what I am investing now, protein, meal replacement shakes, etc etc, I'd imagine this to be the case, but it just seems like a lot of work for no return on the scale.

I feel better I guess, I "think" I look better, but who knows...

Motivation isn't so much the issue for me, I won't stop working out for anything, but it IS frustrating, I know I ***** about it a lot to my fiance... She's about to hit me with a dumbbell :)

I know it's a shot in the dark, what does anyone here think?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As a runner primarily, I have a hard time losing with a caloric deficit of anything more than 400-500 calories/day. Actually, I do best when I set my goal to lost 1/2 lb/week. Try setting your goal to 1 lb/week and go for a couple more weeks like that. The increase in calories may signal your body to start dropping fat. I know it's weird... but try it.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Are you properly measuring portions to calculate your calories? It really comes down to diet.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You are describing me pretty well, except for the 20 years I have on you.

I'm about 30 days in. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks, then assume I'm either over recording calories burned or under recording calories in. I'll make an adjustment, then give it a couple of more weeks.
    Seems that eventually, there has to be a level that equals weight loss.
  • ndirish4life
    Options
    If you're really hitting the weights hard AND running, there is a decent chance you are burning fat and gaining muscle, therefore not seeing much change in your weight.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've heard the last 20 pounds are the hardest to lose and a good goal is to aim for losing 0.5 pounds per month at that goal. You lose the 2 pounds a week generally when you are starting from a much higher weight.

The scale sucks, it's one of the last things to "show a result" and can be an incredibly inaccurate way of measuring success.

My suggestion is to take some pictures of yourself in as little clothes as you feel comfortable (you don't have to share them) and then take another picture every 30 days thereafter and view the results.

Also, measure inches and find endurance goals instead of scale goals.

Also, yes muscle weighs more than fat, by volume, therefore you're going to lose fat inches first and not much "weight." You may even gain weight but look and feel a lot thinner and firmer.
  • desantim
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and so quickly! It's certainly a mental struggle at times, easy to get on the treadmill and hit the weights, but hard not seeing the results numerically. It used to be so easy back in College!

I over value my calorie intake by a good margin so I am sure I am not taking in more calories than I should be. My fiance purchased me a fitbit to keep tabs on my activity during the day, I'm decently active, and combined, I keep a pretty valid assessment of where I am with in and out.

I hadn't lifted in a couple years, so it's quite likely that running, with weight lifting has in fact countered each other for weight loss/gain in some respects. I guess in the next couple months we will know for sure!

Part of the difficulty and frustration I was having, I started taking an anti anxiety medication. An SSRI, and they are well known (which I didn't realize at the time) for packing on the pounds. I've been off of the SSRI and moved over to a non-ssri in Welbutrin as of 6 weeks ago.

I've also read that SSRIs seem to block the ability to lose weight for a lot of people, no matter how little they eat or excercise, the complaint is the pounds remain well after the medication is done.

If I had to do it again, I would never have started taking them, it's been a brutal struggle getting even a few pounds off, and as I said, the weight has pretty much stopped at 216. When I started taking the SSRIs a year ago, I was at 197lbs. I ballooned up to 223. My diet hadn't changed much, I didn't eat more/less than normal, it just seemed to slow my metabolism down immensely.

I'm doing my best to get that spiking again, hence putting on muscle, I do pyramids trying to trick my body into jumping out of its slump.

We will see!
  • Allie501
    Options
    Instead of watchng your weight why not watch your body fat percentage. This is what really counts! At least for me.
    I bet if you had measured this two months ago compared to now it would have made a difference. :)
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Pick up a fat caliper. Even if the scale isn't moving, your body fat percentage might be :).
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    now that you are hitting the weights again take your measurements -- guaranteed that's where you are going to see your drop and def change your loss to 1lb per week -- you'll move again soon :)
  • Tina_Boone
    Tina_Boone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree above you are probably gaining muscle. My fiance is a runner too and he cut his calories down to 1300. Took out all bread, rice, and noodles no junky foods and no alcohol only water for 1 month challenging yes but he lost 26lbs and even though we grradually added those things back he maintained his weightloss lbs. Its a lifestyle change of portions and moderation including food and drink. Keep staying active weather you loose weight or not I bet you have a good high after a run right? and you feel good? thats what matters!:happy:
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Ah, the dreaded 2 lbs per week option. The option to lose 2 lbs per week is based on your BMR and your activity level you select. I am not going to say BMR is inaccurate and worthless, but it doesn't tell you the whole story. Let's assume you are only eating healthy foods and are within your calories limit after taking exercise calories into consideration, there is a strong chance you won't even lose 1 lb per week. Here are some things to keep in mind, so don't get discouraged.

1. If you are tracking calories burned from a cardio workout, the machines are fairly inaccurate. There are heart rate watches that are more accurate...Polar being one of the better ones...however, it is not as accurate as other will claim either.
    2. When applying your workout calories, don't forget you need to subtract your sitting on the couch for that time period calories. So for easy math and example's sake, let's say you can eat 1300 calories for a 2 lbs per week plan. This means that by sitting around and doing nothing you technically burn 1300 calories divided by 24 hours divided by 60 minutes to get .9028 calories per minute. So, if you run for 1 hour and burn say 500 calories, you will record 500 calories less (60 minutes times .9028 calories per minute) to give you 445.8 calories burned.
    3. Next...not all people are created equal. Chances are you and I don't have the same metabolism. Maybe my body processes sugar different than yours. Maybe your skeletal structure promotes a different body type. Maybe you are healthier than I am although my BMI is better. SOOO many things that aren't taken into consideration.
    4. The food part I could write a book on. If you are trying to lose 2 lbs a week, there is a good chance you might be limiting the amount of nutrients your body needs. Supplements are not a substitute for the real thing. Your body does not absorb them the same way as natural. Even then, your body doesn't always absorb natural without help of another natural food.

The point is that you need to focus on overall change of your body. Maybe your weight hasn't changed much or at all, but maybe you feel a lot better, sleep more soundly at night, and are notice an overall increase in energy. Maybe your chest size has gone down a little or those Size Large shirts that seemed tight are now fitting better. Or maybe your jeans that seemed a bit too snug before, you are now moving your belt to a tighter notch. Focus on ALL of the gains. Weight and other measurements may take longer to change.
  • desantim
    Options
    Wow, you guys and gals are all amazing! Thank you for all the wonderful tips/suggestions/insight!!!!

Once my cold subsides, I am back on the horse!