Is body combat... too goofy?

Options
I saw some videos on youtube. It's certainly not as much martial arts as it is... flailing about. But, the new muay thai place here isn't open yet... my back is messed up anyway... and the class is FREE at my $10/mo gym.

Anyone have feedback that has done both this and an actual martial arts/sport fighting program?

Replies

• Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    At the center where my son does Martial Arts they offer a body combat class. I did it for three months last year when the class first started up. It was a lot of fun. We mainly did kickboxing with some weight training here an there. I was actually talking to some of the girls last night who are still in the class and they said that it has improved since I last did it. Instead of keeping everyone indoors they now go outside and run laps in addition to using the punching bags. They also do sets of push ups using the base of the punching bags which I hated! It was intense but it just got boring after a while. They charged $90 per month so $10 per month seems like a great deal!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's included in my gym membership. They do spin and all sorts of other stuff too!
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    I am jealous! I have been trying to find spin classes in my area but they are all so darn pricey! I will just have to walk the pugs more and start running outside more... There is only so much you can do on the treadmil and elliptical machines, after a while it just seems like torture.
  • madmish00
    Options
    Depends what you're after. I have done body combat in the past and it is a great cardio workout. But if you are wanting to learn proper martial arts techniques it probably isn't for you.
  • cgale8
    cgale8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am jealous! I have been trying to find spin classes in my area but they are all so darn pricey! I will just have to walk the pugs more and start running outside more... There is only so much you can do on the treadmil and elliptical machines, after a while it just seems like torture.

We don't have spinning classes here either. So I purchase a Spinner Fit bike. It wan't that expensive (I made payments!) and I really like the videos that you can get with it cause its the next best thing to being there. If you don't want to go that route then you can use a regular bike on a trainer. Google "bike trainers" and you can find some good deals on those as well.