Can you over exercise?

Options
I doubt you can, but I am not all knowing...

Can you over exercise. MFP sets me a goal of 400 calorie burn exercise per day - I do about 700-800 calorie burn per day.

Thus, today, after my workout, I will have had all my total week of calorie burn from exercise.

I figure that this is a good thing, but I want to know if there are any draw backs.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can overexercise from my experience, but eating exercise calories would help somewhat. You have to make sure you give your body enough recovery time to rebuild the muscles broken down by exercise, failing to do this can cause harm to your body.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I doubt you can, but I am not all knowing...

Can you over exercise. MFP sets me a goal of 400 calorie burn exercise per day - I do about 700-800 calorie burn per day.

Thus, today, after my workout, I will have had all my total week of calorie burn from exercise.

I figure that this is a good thing, but I want to know if there are any draw backs.

Those burn calories can be set to whatever you want in your Goals section. The MFP setting is just a baseline.

You can over train definitely. It's best to have a minimum of 1 day, preferably 2 days (if you train more than 20 hrs/wk) a week where you do nothing, except maybe go for a lite walk. These days the body can recharge.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely over exercise. Over time your body will start breaking down if you don't give it time to rest. You'll notice you get very fatigued and you will be more prone to injuries. Now, if your daily is exercise is brisk walking you are not likely to over train, but if you do even moderately intense workouts on a daily basis you can overdo it. Even elite athletes given themselves 1-2 week breaks ocassionally to let their bodies recover. Personally, I normally work out 5-7 high intensity hours per week and I'll notice about once a month I'll need to drop a few days off to give my body time to rest.