Eating on vacation?

Options
Curious to see answers on this - do you try to stick to plan while on vacation, or do you just eat whatever because, let's face it, it's a vacation. I'm off to Disneyworld in a couple of weeks and I just started this new, healthy lifestyle thing. Very concerned I'm not going to have the willpower to avoid sweets and park food but dammit, I'm certainly going to try. Just wondering how you all do it.

Replies

• Thundermountain
    Options
    Depends.. How long is the vacation? Are you going to Disneyland? Do they have Churros? OMG,, wait, what about a big wonderful bowl of cheese nachos... Hmmm, Maybe I better not go on vacation...

But in all seriousness.. its ok to have a day or two away from the routine.. enjoy the fruits of your labor.. Carb Load, get sick.. then the guilt thing starts to play in.. you will balance it all out by the time you get back into your routine.

When I vacation... I do my best to avoid the sweets.. Drink lots of water... pack a few of your favorite more healthy snacks to help avoid those Churros. Good luck,, say hi to Mickey and the crew...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Unless you intend to track your calories forever, consider this upcoming vacation a valuable lesson in "lifelong eating". Do your best, use what you've learned from tracking calories to make as rational and healthy choices as you can, indulge a little here and there.

When you get back, do not step on the scale for one week, because your sodium intake will probably be high and you'll want to flush all that out of your system with a week of healthy eating and plenty of water. You don't want a hugely misleading measurement to make you do something irrational like give up. Unless, of course, you think you can handle the truth and understand that a lot of any gain may be simple sodium-related water retention.

Then step on the scale, see where you are, see how you did, log it, and move on.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi we are going to Cyprus in October, my plan is to eat plenty of fish and chicken and stay away from the deserts, my let down will be alcohol but I am aiming to lose as much weight as possible before I go.:glasses:
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    I actually just got back from vacation two days ago.

First things first: i went to vacation to relax, enjoy life, and spend time with long distant family/friends.

HOWEVER, part of me relaxing is enjoying the outdoors.

I started every morning with a 5k. I enjoyed being outside in new areas....this set the standard for every day of vacation...to let it be a healthy one. When I am home, I commute 40 miles round trip by bike to work so this 5k was something to keep me sane.

We ate out for 30% of our meals....just be smart. MEATS/PLANTS...not that difficult people.

However, I did have a cookie and lots lots lots lots of seafood :) --just stayed within my cal budget.

HAHA!

that being said, somehow i lost 1.5lbs on my trip.

just eat in moderation and try your best to stick to meats/plants. You'll feel MUCH better when you return home.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my vacation and eat whatever I want. I didn't gain the weight I'm trying to lose by eating bad on vacations but by eating bad between vacations, so I'd rather have fun and enjoy myself while away instead of going crazy watching every thing I put in my mouth (I do however try to keep my good exercise behaviour.....even though I'm seldom successfull)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I don't count cals on holdiday but I do keep good practice in mind while still enjoying food and drink. Because I live in the UK and holiday in Europe it is quite easy to eat fairly well as many restaurants tend to serve meat and salad style meal and the heat often means you eat less during the day. Extra walking/swimming etc takes care of the rest of the extra cals I may have from indulging in a few cocktails.

Just be sensible and allow yourself a few treats but not too many. the odd ice cream or sweet thing wont undo it all but gorging all day long will!

Also remember you will be walking absolutely loads too and maybe try to make that power walks between rides/attractions rather than strolls.

If your hotel has a pool or gym also use that to allow you more treats but play safe with healthy breakfasts!
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I say plan on logging what you eat...no matter what it is. It will be a lesson in what you choose and what the nutritional value is (or isn't). I find that if I log even when I am definitely OFF the wagon it helps me to stay honest and realistic and in touch with my choices. If you're going to do MFP be be accountable. Then go get that funnel cake.
  • bsierras
    Options
    Unless you intend to track your calories forever, consider this upcoming vacation a valuable lesson in "lifelong eating". Do your best, use what you've learned from tracking calories to make as rational and healthy choices as you can, indulge a little here and there.

I agree. It is a great "test". See how you will do. Honestly, for me, I don't overindulge on food...maybe the beverages with alcohol. Seriously though, after beginning this new lifestyle I take a few bites of things I use to enjoy A LOT and realize I am not missing out on anything and move on. Moderation is key. And you will be walking around the park a lot.

Have fun! Enjoy, relax
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like to some extent.
    I keep an eye on what I eat and what I do so in that sense I eat what I once, I eat anything within my calorie goal. As long as I am under or meet the calorie goal at the end of the day then ....
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    when i went on vacation, i said "i'm not gonna worry about what i eat" but it's kind of become a mindset and it just isnt possible to eats tons of bad stuff anymore... not saying i didn't have a few treats, but i definately didnt go overboard like i thought i would
  • Aunt_Kiki
    Aunt_Kiki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    when you go on vacation, you shouldn't through all your hard work out the window. you could still watch what you eat and have a great time. i don't don't really when i'm on vacation. i still try to make healthy choice. i'll treat myself to a piece of cake...i won't have the cake every night
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what you are eating on the days you are walking the parks, but the days you are less active, i would stick to your calorie goals. Above all have a great time. =)
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Depends on the length of the vacation. If it's a couple of days then I'm happy to relax and let it slide for a few days but next year we are on holiday in the USA for nearly a month and I certainly won't be letting it go for that long! I know we will be eating out a lot and that the portions will be enormous but I'm going to compensate for that by swimming regularly and trying not to stuff my face continuously :noway: