Need drink ideas!!

Options
Well long story short: I used to be addicted to Dr Pepper. In 2009, I went on a diet and switched to Diet Dr Pepper. Now, I want to give up pop all together! Regular soda is too high in calories and the diet pop is horrible for you! I need healthy drink options that don't have a lot of added artificial sweeteners. I don't want a lot of calories. I know a lot of you will say water, but I can' t drink plain water ALL the time after being used to sweet diet sodas!!! Give me any ideas or recipes for healthy drink options!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear diet soda was bad for you?
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    if u get used to drinking water, u will find that sugary drinks just dont taste good anymore
  • candctaber
    Options
    crystal light helped me get used to drinking water. I started off with a full pack, then half pack, not I am able to drink water plain. You might also try lemon, lime, orange, ect in your water.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Um i bet when you switched to diet you thought you couldn't do it, but you did. so why not just switch to mostly water and the occasional diet soda??
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    True Lemon Raspberry lemonade packets or the regualr Lemonade. They are all natural and so yummy. Mix them with your water. When I want something sugary, I put that in my water. It seems so bad but it's so good:)
  • Tina_Boone
    Tina_Boone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy crystal light which only has 5 calories and many flovor and even energy which actualy gives me more energy than any high sugar energy drinks. When I need a carbonation fix carbonated flavoed water works I usually dont even end up drinking the whole thing. I am sure all those have artificial sweetner but just giving ideas!:happy:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I juice a carrot, apple, lemon, cucumber, celery, ginger, and a few sprigs of parsley, add 50% water, and put it in a thermos of ice and sip on it all morning. Delicious, nutritious, refreshing, and satisfying.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    carbonated water! just like soda, no calories.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Mio. You can add lots of fruit to your water too. Even cucumber!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try some MIO. I love water but once in a while like some flavor too. There are quite a few different flavors. No calories but does have some sodium.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    rum or vodka :drinker:
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if u get used to drinking water, u will find that sugary drinks just dont taste good anymore

some people just don't like the taste of regular water. i doubt that's the advice she was looking for :grumble:
  • msmindylee
    Options
    Try the carbonated spring waters with fruit essence - it's not as sweet as soda, but it's not like plain water either. Plus it doesn't have all the nasty crap in there that diet soda does.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i like the flavor packets. at 5 calories per pack, you just can't beat that!

*unless by some miracle, you discover your love for regular water - that's obviously the best choice (insert sarcastic voice here)
  • pinkpoodle5000
    Options
    I make ginger mint iced tea. Few tea bags (depending on how strong or weak you like it) in almost boiling water. Then add fresh mint sprigs, peeled & crushed fresh ginger. Let steep for 3-5 mins. I take the tea bags and mint out, but leave the ginger for a stronger flavor. If you want a little more sweetness add some honey. I usually go unsweetened. Iced tea is a good jumping off point for experimenting with fruits and herbs. I also make infused waters, similar to the tea option but without caffeine.
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!!!! Sounds good right about now!
    rum or vodka :drinker:
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I actually do like the MIO and other additives. I'm just really wanting to get rid of added fake sugars. Thank for all your input! I will start working on all these!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have been down pretty much the same path. Used to drink lots of Dr. Pepper, then graduated to Diet Dr. Pepper, which I drank TONS of until March of this year. Then I ended up with acid reflux and doc suggested I get rid of soda. I could not see staying on meds for the reflux forever just so I could drink soda and eat what I wanted, so I gave up the soda. I drink almost exclusively water. It was hard at first, but now I don't mind at all. I will drink a very occasional Diet Dr. P.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm SO with you. I just passed 3 weeks with no diet soda/drinks. I used to have at least one a day. Every day. I really didn't think it would be a problem to stop but it was a lot more difficult than I anticipated.

I'm down to almost exclusively water. My new favorite alternate drink is Iced Blueberry Green Tea. I also like Canada Dry Cranberry Lime and Mandarin Orange Seltzer Water. Today I put 2oz (I know, GETTIN' CRAZY) of Trop 50 Red Orange juice in the seltzer water because I was feeling WEAK. It helped a lot.

Good luck!!
  • cindykrauss
    Options
    If you are on Pinterest look up spa water. Very simple recipes and it got me off the soda too. My favorite is cucumber, lime and mint. If I don't have mint I just use the first two. I make a 1/2 gallon every morning and let it steep together a few hours before enjoying over ice. Put a few pieces of fruit etc in your glass. A lot of recipes I found said to steep overnight but i found some ingredients will cloud the water or even become bitter, particularly the mint. Just plain cucumber is great too. Ive had it at several spas that way and its cheap to make. Any drink with artificial sweetener should be avoided even crystal light. Aspartame is poison to your body!