Walking Question

Options
Physical activity at my job varies quite a bit from day to day. Somedays I am pretty sedentary, somedays I am moving all day and logging lots of steps. Today, for example, I arrived home and checked my trusty pedometer and saw that I had logged 13,000 steps. I have a couple of questions: Should this much activity be considered exercise? And if so, how should it be logged?

Replies

• edrake44
    Options
    I usually define exercise as raising your heart rate and keeping it up. True, those steps do burn a few calories and if you control your portions well enough, you'll lose weight, but raising your heart rate is what you should be doing if you're looking to "exercise". It's better for your heart too.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    What did you select as your activity level when you set up your MFP account? If it is sedentary, then you can log it. 13,000 steps is what, around 5 miles? So find a calculator that will tell you what a person of your weight burns walking 5 miles. Subtract out your normal daily steps. That would be my best guess of how to enter it.

*also, check how many steps equals a mile for someone of your height--I really am guessing!*