Healthy lifestlye..failure?

Options
A month ago i decided to really change my life. Ive always had self image issues ive been much thinner then i am now and much heavier then i am now. The last year i had started the whole binge purge excessive excerising thing. Then i decided i needed to change it i want a healthy body i want to feel healthy the right way! So Ive been eating really clean however i notice about every 8 days i end up eating something bad..like today 2 cookies. Ive heard thats part of a real healthy lifestlye but i have peole telling me i will never reach a healthy weight if i mess up that often. So whats your experiance and how do you get over the guilt of bad food and just move on, without stressing about the scale?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to a professional about this. You have a history with an eating disorder and a messed up relationship with food. 2 cookies does not equal failure for most people.

I don't mean to sound harsh - I'm just seriously advising you to talk to a counselor, because that will do you the most good in your journey to be healthy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    2 cookies every 8 days or so is not failing. Nor is it messing up. It's living a normal life w/a normal relationship w/food.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "bad" food!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every day.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I've been living a healthy lifestyle for the last 5 years (and lost 60lbs and got fit as a bonus...) I am going to a friends house tonight to say goodbye to another good friend who is moving halfway accross the country.....

I will have more than two (or three....:drinker: ) glasses of red wine, (and sleep over so I don't drive - driving after drinking will make me a failure!:sad: and I will have some food that is going to be yummy and for which I have NO nutritional info, as I did not make it or buy it....

I am not a failure, and neither am I failing at my healthy lifestyle - I am living life...
    I will do my regular workout tomorrow as usual, and life would hopefully go on as usual....
    Good luck...
  • CourtneyWiss
    Options
    lora- thank you for your concern, I do have someone i talk to about this that helps, i just like to hear experiences of people who have actually lost weight or struggled to. I thank all of you guys for your input. It can just be discouraging because before i stopped i had got down to 160 and now after a month of keeping track and staying in my calorie range im weighing in at 175, So Im starting to feel that those little "treats" are causing a problem thats the only thing i can think of.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to a professional about this. You have a history with an eating disorder and a messed up relationship with food. 2 cookies does not equal failure for most people.

I don't mean to sound harsh - I'm just seriously advising you to talk to a counselor, because that will do you the most good in your journey to be healthy.

^This.

And if you have people in your life that are telling you 2 cookies every 8 days (or something similar) will cause you to never reach a healthy weight, then you need a better (healthier) support system.
  • CourtneyWiss
    Options
    astrampe- Thats a great way to look at it! I hope i can get into the same mindset as you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you think two cookies a week are 'bad' and will mess you up, do talk to a professional. You want a healthy relationship with yourself, your body, and with food.

More pragmatically, studies show people who have a normal diet without restrictions but basically healthy and within calorie limits are those who maintain weight loss over time.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every day.

Amen.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure your eating enough? Also, a couple cookies, or a treat once a week isn't failure. Its moderation. Some people have dessert everyday as part of their lives. And are still successful at weightloss. So please give yourself a break. Never eating something you might consider "bad" is not an option. You can't go through life like that, its not sustainable...for most people I should say.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    A month ago i decided to really change my life. Ive always had self image issues ive been much thinner then i am now and much heavier then i am now. The last year i had started the whole binge purge excessive excerising thing. Then i decided i needed to change it i want a healthy body i want to feel healthy the right way! So Ive been eating really clean however i notice about every 8 days i end up eating something bad..like today 2 cookies. Ive heard thats part of a real healthy lifestlye but i have peole telling me i will never reach a healthy weight if i mess up that often. So whats your experiance and how do you get over the guilt of bad food and just move on, without stressing about the scale?

read this it will not only help you but it will hopefully cheer you up you seem down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/731316-how-to-fail-with-instructions?page=2#posts-10781213
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I let myself have a sweet or two every day if its within my limit, and I've gone from a size 14 to a 7 in just a few months.

I've been where you are, and you can't beat yourself up over having something a little sweet. It's perfectly normal to indulge every so often, just make sure you aren't eating nothing but junk. I think you should get someone to talk to about this, because it'll really help. It helped me.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    im a clean eater myself,i dont buy pre packaged food,no tins,no boxes and all that.
    But i love sweets.I tried to completely eliminate them before and ended up eating a full chocolate bar etc...i would call that a failure.
    Now i understood why i did that...my brain tends to lean towards things that I am prevented to do.So i bake some healthy stuff-like banana muffins,i dont use sweeteners/sugars/oils/butters in it- for me it is clean and it also satisfies my sweet craving.Now that i have one treat everyday i dont tend to binge at all-there are some days i go without them-there are some days i eat them-i just work them into my calorie limit.In my younger years i was an emotional eater,now im not-why,my relationship with food isnt the same,it is no longer my enemy.

Like the others said establishing a health relationship with food is very important.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    So long as it's within my calories - I am 100% guilt free, which is such a refreshing and empowering feeling for me (spent most of my life attaching emotional responses to eating).

If it's not within my calories, so what?! I've made a little indent into my deficit for the day, I'll live. It probably makes up for all the days that I'm way under.

2 cookies are not bad - 2 cookies do not make you feel bad. 2 cookies are just a tasty energy source that you decided to utilise. Disconnect your emotions from what you are eating and see it for what it is - fuel.
  • kristi27278
    kristi27278 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree 2 cookies is not bad. How I curb my sweet cravings is allowing myself to have a small fruit smoothie, with frozen fruit, a little milk, about 4 tablespoons of greek yogurt and 2 spendas, it really helps me, but please don't beat yourself up over 2 cookies, it really is not that bad.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't beat yourself up over two cookies from time to time. If two cookies is failing, then I have been failing the whole time I've been losing 51 pounds...
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

This ^. 2 cookies every 8 days is far from failing. It's just part of life, we are all allowed treats once in awhile, just as long as it's not all the time. That's why they are "treats".
  • lakermrb
    lakermrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My view is that weight loss and healthy eating is not an all-or-nothing proposition. I eat as healthy as I can, as often as I can. When I eat lots of vegetables and use some smoothies, my weight continues to fall. I eat McDonalds once in a great while. I eat fried food once in a while. I drink a glass of wine a few times a week and have beer too.

I believe one cannot enjoy life without enjoying food, all types of food. For me, the key is not only moderation but including as many vegetables in my diet as possible. Water is extremely important, but I have a very difficult time getting enough. So, I try to include as many vegetables as I can that have a high water content.

I make it a goal of mine to eat one large tomato per day, with a few Wheat Thins. Currently, I am eating an ear of corn 3-4 times a week. Cucumbers are in now, so they add lots of water to my diet. And, I love sweet potatoes, so I try to get that into my diet weekly. I use baked fish at least once a week to keep my fat intake lower and my protein higher.

Losing weight works best and easiest for me when I can keep my protein, potassium and water higher, my fat and salt lower, and use moderate exercise. My belief is to keep it simple and keep it fun.

I have become a better cook, as I use allrecipes.com to plan my meals for the week. I can then print out a shopping list to follow, so I don't impulse-buy the bad foods. I shop only at Whole Foods, the Farmers Market, and Trader Joe's, so I never give myself the chance to buy chemical-laden, unhealthy food. I do buy deserts now and then, but I am not a big desert eater.

Now, I don't always follow my meal plan, and I do eat out at least once a week. But, following this course has allowed me to lose weight without feeling deprived. The weight just comes off naturally. So, my belief is to find the best mix for you. Include all the good foods you can and eat the other things but in moderation.
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some of these guys have given you some amazing advice. Especially the councelling idea as well as the relationship with food for being what it is - fuel!
    Personally i try to think about the calories to start, get a hold of that, and gradually get healthier food into my diet more and more. Cookies every 8 days is not failure, that is amazing will power if sweets are your weakness! I don't know who told you 2 cookies is bad at that stage, i believe maybe you're talking to people who aren't as well informed as they think they are.

You have done awesome to have cookies that often to be honest, i think you should stop being so hard on yourself and listen to some of these guys as you're doing great :)