On a plateau? Try this.

Options
2»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    For some reason I don't think running into a plateau is resulted by miscalculating...at least not all the cases.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP is stating that it IS the cause, but that it CAN BE one cause. ITA! I recently started weighing and measuring everything again. Yeah, it's a PITA sometimes, but it gets me back on track. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Not all plateau, but it is an easy thing to verify before doing anything else. Look at the video posted in this tread....you will see how easily a 500 caloriesdeficit can turn into nothing.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure absolutely EVERYTHING. It's a pain in the *kitten* however the first time I measured out what a true serving size of pasta was I almost cried.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I do think that generally speaking, even people who measure, probably eat more calories than they think. I'm sure I do as well.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I just bought a food scale for this very reason.

My calculations tell me I've been on a deficit for months. My body weight tracking does not.

Great post!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's all estimations - calories expended, calorie intake. This is a big problem and one of the first things I think of when people say they are on a plateau. Don't be scared to tweak and adjust and give whatever changes you make a good 6-8 weeks to see if the change were positive or negative.

Also, calipers. The scale can be a dirty liar. I've 'gained' 8lbs overnight due to salty foods. I've 'lost' 8lbs overnight due to dehydration (alcohol consumption). Body fat % is a much better gauge as to fat loss than the scale could ever be.

Good info.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the batteries in my scale died so i have been eyeballing. Guess i'm too lazy to go and buy new batteries. I actually think i overestimate calories.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    Options
    And be careful picking items from the mfp food lists even if you do weigh your food.

I weighed the raw meat that I made today's lunch out of. Then I selected that from the mfp listing for "85% lean/15% fat ground beef" and it said there was a whopping 1 (one...ONE) gram of protein in 5 ounces. I don't think so.

Diligence and care are definitely required.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    It's all estimations - calories expended, calorie intake. This is a big problem and one of the first things I think of when people say they are on a plateau. Don't be scared to tweak and adjust and give whatever changes you make a good 6-8 weeks to see if the change were positive or negative.

Also, calipers. The scale can be a dirty liar. I've 'gained' 8lbs overnight due to salty foods. I've 'lost' 8lbs overnight due to dehydration (alcohol consumption). Body fat % is a much better gauge as to fat loss than the scale could ever be.

Good info.

I agree! I gauge my progress according to my BF% more so than the scale
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    and how can you log those 3 M&M?
    A peanut m& m is 8 calories, so thats 24 calories logged
    :blushing:

Was testing out my new scales, each weighs 2 grames
    :glasses:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all completely.
    That is why I don't put butter on my bread and I don't use dressing at all.
    In 5 weeks I have lost 19lbs. I think that is pretty good :)
    Plus, I weigh and measure everything!!

What does avoiding butter and dressing have to do with the discrepancy of packaged foods nutritional information (calories vs volume or weight)?

The butter and dressing will have accurate values by volume since they are fat and are liquid or semi liquid (they fill up the measuring spoon).

But nevermind, fat isn't at all necessary for the health of our bodies or feeling full/satisfied. No, not at all. :noway:

BTW, glad you've made good progress by avoiding fat and I hope it's sustainable for you.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • dedrake
    dedrake Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for about 35 days now quite successfully. My losses have been incredible and I have been very pleased with my progress.

This week I hit my first 'plateau'. After some reading and reflection, I seem to have found what this issue is here; complacency.

These are certainly, some of my culprits...

- Food measurement: Through the first few weeks, I would measure everything with precision. After some time, I've become lazy and allow quantities to exceed the tops of the measuring cups. Compounded, there's quite a few calories built up.

- Food weigh: I used to weigh EVERYTHING before putting it in my mouth. Now I've suddenly become an expert, whereas I can look at something and determine it's weight.

- Not documenting: I would think "What is the difference if I don't put those 3 M&M's in the diary (someone mentioned this in an earlier post) or "about a half of handful of pretzels don't matter"

- Pick and choose: If needing to track a generic item, I've found myself searching the database for the lowest caloric report, because a 200 calorie slice of pizza is certainly better than a 300 calorie one.

Guess what? This week at weigh-in I'm up 1/2 a pound when I should be down 2 - 2.5.

I guess my point is; the program isn't failing, nor am I at some of 'change plateau'. This short-coming is mine and I own it. Going forward, I need to throw away this complacency and stick to the program...all in.

Are you hitting a plateau? The plateau could be of your own creation. I have no doubt mine is...
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for about 35 days now quite successfully. My losses have been incredible and I have been very pleased with my progress.

This week I hit my first 'plateau'. After some reading and reflection, I seem to have found what this issue is here; complacency.

- Food measurement: Through the first few weeks, I would measure everything with precision. After some time, I've become lazy and allow quantities to exceed the tops of the measuring cups. Compounded, there's quite a few calories built up.

- Food weigh: I used to weigh EVERYTHING before putting it in my mouth. Now I've suddenly become an expert, whereas I can look at something and determine it's weight.

- Not documenting: I would think "What is the difference if I don't put those 3 M&M's in the diary (someone mentioned this in an earlier post) or "about a half of handful of pretzels don't matter"

- Pick and choose: If needing to track a generic item, I've found myself searching the database for the lowest caloric report, because a 200 calorie slice of pizza is certainly better than a 300 calorie one.

Guess what? This week at weigh-in I'm up 1/2 a pound when I should be down 2 - 2.5.

I guess my point is; the program isn't failing, nor am I at some of 'change plateau'. This short-coming is mine and I own it. Going forward, I need to throw away this complacency and stick to the program...all in.

Are you hitting a plateau? The plateau could be of your own creation. I have no doubt mine is...

This is very well written, I especially like the one about PICKING AND CHOOSING from the Database.
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I specifically searched for a thread like this because I thought I was plateauing. Now I am confident that it is my fault and that previously when I thought I was 1200 calories under maintenence (after workout), I was probably 700 under and when I thought I was 1000 under I was 500 under and now that I average what I think is 500 under, i'm probably breakign even

Specifically,
    1) I have oatmeal or cereal 2-3 tiems a day and i jsut use a 3/4 measuring cup. So, I assume I am off on all those measurements.
    2) I admittedly will ignore 100-200 calories of tiny things a day (few raisins, 2 chips, sipping my kids juice)

This was an enlightenning post and I think I will pick up that scale ont he way home too. Thanks!
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options

This is very well written, I especially like the one about PICKING AND CHOOSING from the Database.

I'm the opposite. I usually chose the HIGHEST option because i'm so freaking nervous about going over my calories. But I feel bloated lately, I feel like i'm plateau-ing and i'm not sure why. No I don't have a food scale (dont have the money right now for any spending) but I lost 11 pounds estimating (and over-estimating even to allow myself room for error) and i'm not sure why these past 2 weeks I feel like i'm at a standstill.
  • anaju61
    anaju61 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just saw the video. Eye opening. thanks