Exercise calories 532
Gives me a net of 431 so far
total calories consumed 963

Ok so if I consumed 963 should I go with that OR up my net to 1200

WHICH ONE

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    MFP includes your deficit not counting exercise. You are supposed to eat those calories you burn as well. Pretty much everywhere else includes them in the calories for the day. Eat so you are close to zero calories left.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Here is a post by the bods behind MFP with some links to previous posts which may help you make sense of it all.

Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • So round numbers....

1500 Calories allotted + 500 calories burned through exercise = 2000 calories eaten that day?
  • If your goal is 1590, MFP already calculates in the deficit. So if you earn exercise calories on top of that then what you should eat is your daily goal + exercise cals and you will still have a deficit. NET calories are consumed-exercise = NET.
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    If your goal is to consume 1590, then consume 1590. Don't consume more just because you exercised. The point here is for you to expend more calories than you are taking in.

MFP adds what you burned through exercise to your daily goal and says 'you've earned XXXX calories'. That does NOT mean you get to consume them, otherwise what is the point.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Ok so today my numbers are as follows:

My goal is 1590 calories
    Exercise calories 532
    Gives me a net of 431 so far
    total calories consumed 963

Ok so if I consumed 963 should I go with that OR up my net to 1200

WHICH ONE
    Your NET cals should equal your GOAL at the end of the day.
    This means you will eat back your exercise cals.
    So you do this for a couple of weeks, to see if you are losing.
    If not, you can adjust from there....

As stated above by merbear....your deficit is already IN the GOAL.
    When your NET and your GOAL are the same at the end of the day, you still have a calorie deficit...
    assuming you've logged accurately:wink:
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    I still get confused about this too. Im trying to eat between my BMR 1678 and my TDEE 2517. But I burn anything from 500- 1100 cals in exercise. For instance today I burned 974 cals mountain biking ( I have a HRM) so I set my goal at 1678 and eat back exercise cals but this can be really hard when its such a high cal burn. so today I have eaten 2542 cals but so far only netted 1568 which isnt my bmr. Am I doing it right??? im supposed to eat back my exercise cals plus my bmr? but today I went over my TDEE because I burned 974 cals??? confuzzelled.

I exercise 5-6 times a week which is weight training30-60 mins/ static spin bike 30-45 mins/ mountain bike off roading (2hours for fun) so I am burning approx 3500+ a week in exercise cals. I have lost 19 inches overall but only 3lbs
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    If you are confused read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

and you won't be any more :-)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    If your goal is to consume 1590, then consume 1590. Don't consume more just because you exercised. The point here is for you to expend more calories than you are taking in.

MFP adds what you burned through exercise to your daily goal and says 'you've earned XXXX calories'. That does NOT mean you get to consume them, otherwise what is the point.
    So wrong...Your goal is what you should be left with after deducting exercise. If you do not eat back those calories, you are increasing the deficit greater than the plan intends.