Too slow!

Options
I am trying to lose weight since May this year. In 4 months I have only lost 18lbs and while I am delighted, I notice most people is losing much more. I started at 406lbs, down to 388lbs, and I am 5'7 male. In accordance with MFP, I have been eating just under 3000cals a day. Sometimes I am a fair bit under (but always over 2500) and every now and then I am over,but usually not by to much. I am trying to exercise, swimming once a week and started a very basic exercise class. I was really starting at square 1 one with that. I find both exercise and reducing my diet a real challenge but I am trying hard. Most weeks I lose 2lbs but sometimes I don't, or very occasioanlly gained a little. What can I do to speed up my loss? At this rate I'll never be slim!
xxxxx

Replies

• millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    First of all 18lbs is a great loss, congrats! :smile:

Also, try not to compare yourself to other peoples' losses. Your body is unique to you and your weight loss will be too! I don't know what your goal weight is, but if you want to lose a lot, it is going to take time and patience! Slow and steady definitely wins the race; 2 lbs a week is a very healthy rate at which to be losing, I wish I was losing 2lbs a week!!! If you lose any faster than that, you could run the risk of ending up with lots of loose skin, which would maybe detract from your victory of hitting a goal weight.

You're already winning! you said it yourself, you're exercising more and controlling what you eat - celebrate what you've already achieved rather than what's left to go!

I started this telling myself i'd lose 2lbs a week and be at my goal weight by now - THAT didn't happen! lol weight loss isn't linear, as your body changes all sorts of things are going on. Unfortunately, patience is key - just remember the choices you've already made are leading you towards a healthy, fit life, and being slim is a nice little bonus on top of that :drinker:

Edit: Just had a sneaky peak at your profile - I'm from the North-East too!!! Teesside, specifically, but living in manchester at the mo. Add me if you want some friendly north-east support :wink:
  • lilpenguin
    lilpenguin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My fiance started at the same weight as you and has lost 131 lb in a year. Lower your calories to around 2000 and walk on the treadmill every other day. The key to the calories is portion control we weigh everything we eat. Fond low calorie substitutions for the foods you like. You'd be surprised what's out there now! Log every thing you eat. Eat 100 calorie snacks between meals. You can do it it takes patience. Look thru my friends he's the only guy friend him and ee what he does for ideas :)
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You need to log EVERY day & keep replacing unhealthy choices with healthy ones, a little bit at a time.
    Keep at it, after all, the weight was not gained in 5 mins & will not be lost quickly........
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's taken me over 1 year to lose 20 lbs dont complain for some, weight comes off faster then with others.
    Just don't let it get you down and keep pushing yourself you'll get there!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You may want to rethink losing too fast! That's a sure way of having lots of loose skin, plus there have been countless studies that those who lose too quickly are often the first ones to gain some or all of the weight back. I think 18 pounds in 4 months is incredible! Slow and steady wins the race.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! If you compare yourself with others, also compare lottery winners who are exalted at start but often spend their gain too quickly ending up less happy than those who have earned it the hard way! That last one is you.Slow weight loss is often much better as it's more stable and the weight is less likely to come back.
  • gilaman0819
    Options
    Have you seen an MD? You may have some other issues. I know this is hard. I dropped my caloric intake to 1100 a day, coupled with daily excersize I am down 50 lbs since June. I have never gone over my allowance (which is 1600). No junk and lots of water. The results will be worth it.......... If it takes you two years, so what. I journey to health is a journey, not a quick subway ride.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Have you seen an MD? You may have some other issues. I know this is hard. I dropped my caloric intake to 1100 a day, coupled with daily excersize I am down 50 lbs since June. I have never gone over my allowance (which is 1600). No junk and lots of water. The results will be worth it.......... If it takes you two years, so what. I journey to health is a journey, not a quick subway ride.
    Thank you... what exactly do you mean by other issues? sorry. Thanks everyone
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    Firstly, 14 lbs in 4 months is not too slow. That's a very healthy rate to lose weight, so set up your expectations moving forward to stay within a few lbs of what you've been losing a month. It helps a lot in keeping yourself from feeling defeated- often times we all get into this journey with extremely high expectations of a science that's hard to understand and even harder to balance. It can be a sharp, and disappointing, learning curve in the process- but staying flexible and taking every victory you can get will keep you moving forward.

Secondly, your weight probably affects quite a bit of your mobility, stamina, breath control, and energy- but give it a year and I promise you'll be making accomplishments you never thought you would. Things will be EASY that you can't imagine doing right now. You'll hit a new plateau and it will be time to adjust your expectations of yourself again. Won't that be an amazing day- the day you realize how capable you are, how strong, how determined? The day you realize it's time to reach for something even higher, better?

I second the suggestion that you see a doctor- whenever you start a weight loss program, it is always best to be tested for thyroid and hormonal disorders, and allergies. Also, get some stats taken and write them down- your blood pressure, your sugars, your length of breath. Keep them and have them done again after 6 months. You'll see more improvement in those numbers than you do on the scale, and that will blow you away- not to mention, utterly convince you of the changes you can make.

Have patience with yourself and keep a cheerful perspective. FOURTEEN LBS! YES! I LOVE IT! You're on your way!