Get out of Bed!

Options
So, I'm working on the food thing ... trying to get into a groove this past week. I need to add the excersize now. I have always been a workout in the morning person - it's the only way it will get done. To do this, I need to get up around 4:15 am, as I have to be at work at 6:30. Now, I just need to get my butt out of bed! I hit snooze 3 times today! I really want to try the CT5k program, so I'm going to start this weekend ... when I don't really have to set an alarm. Come Monday - I need to get my butt out of bed! I guess I'm hoping if I write this down for all to see, it will help :) I already have my alarm clock across the room, so I have to physically get out of bed to turn it off (or hit snooze).

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain.
    Most days I also have to be up at that time to get my run in.

The good thing is that by the time that I am fully awake I've already run a couple of kms. :laugh:
  • lauehorn04
    Options
    What time do you normally get up? If you are accustomed to getting up an hour before work, trying to get up another hour + early immediately can be tough on your body. Try setting the alarm for 10-15 minutes earlier and see how that goes for a few days. Then, get up another 10-15 minutes earlier. You may also need to adjust your bedtime accordingly. After a couple weeks, you should have your body reaccustomed to the earlier wake up time. Plus, you can do a quick workout - free weights, body weight exercises - in that 10 minutes extra. It will allow you to ease into an exercise program at the same time. :) Just an idea.

There are also apps for smart phones which measure your sleeping patterns and wake you at a time when you are most likely to be alert. I've tried them with success.
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot get my butt out of bed so I workout in the evenings.
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You have to make yourself stay up, if you really want to do it you can. Don't hit snooze, before you hit the snooze button ask yourself, "will hitting this snooze button help me or hurt me". If the morning is the only time you can exercise you have to make yourself do it. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week, and 8 hour shifts 2 days a week and I have to make myself exercise when I get off work, it's a hard thing to do but I make myself do it because I KNOW I want to get this weight off and keep it off this time. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think that the hardest part is building a routine but once you have that going you won't feel so hard getting up to get it done. I always have this problem whenever I go on vacation and if I don't do any exercises during vacation or after I have recovered from being sick. It's so hard to get back into a routine. For the past two weeks I had a bug and now that I am finally starting to feel like myself again I have pushed myself to go to the gym and go for a walk so that I can get some exercise in and get back on my routine.
  • finupb
    Options
    Keep a glass or bottle of water next to your alarm clock and drink the entire glass when your alarm goes off before hitting snooze. It'll wake you up.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I get up every morning at 5:00 am (I work at 7:30) just so that I can walk the dogs. In the summer heat, they can't get enough exercise in the evenings, it is too hot for them (they both have very short snouts). It took some time to get used to it, but now I look forward to it probably more than they do. We get a good hour walk in (most mornings) and by the time I get to work, i feel like I have accomplished something. I save my big workout for in the evening. I can handle the heat.

I know it is rough, but once your body gets used to it, it might enjoy it.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Go to bed an hour earlier.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I make a whole-hearted attempted to get out of bed early enough to get my workout of the way. So much so that I have been trying for about 3 months. I fail. Every day. I workout in the evenings. I still try every morning...maybe one of these days I will succeed.

I tried going ot bed earlier, all that did was give me an extra hour of sleep - which was awesome! I don't function well on under 8 hours. I function even better on 9 ;)!

As long as you can cram your workout in sometime during the day, and are consistent - you are doing good!
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great for you! I like to write things down too!!! Makes it plainer and more likely to follow through because there is proof that I said I was going to do it! LOL! I totally get your feelings though! If I run in the morning, I have to get up at 4:15 as well since my shift starts at 6:30!!! The first week or two, try out different times and days to run and then by the 3rd week, pick the days/times that feel right! Great choice in the C25K!!! I am a believer! You can do it!!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    KUDOS to you and your dedication to get up early and make it happen!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Got to bed in your workout clothes. Saves time in the morning, and it's one less excuse.

I personally don't like super early workouts, so I find time after work to workout. On the days I don't have any time to do my usual evening workout, I do the above.