Sugar deboggle

Options
So in the morning I usually will just eat a banana and a protien bar as I am running out the door, but from then on I feel like all I want is sugar!! So I was wondering if the 26gs of sugar that are in my protien ba could be part of the problem? What are some other healthier options that I can eat on the run?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

its in the dictionary um well the urban dictionary lol
  • meeper123
    Options
    bump cause i need an answer and google is no help
  • leska1216
    Options
    Try making a smoothie/shake in the morning. Some people make them the night before and keep in the fridge until needed. Don't add any sugar/sweetener to your food/drinks, cuts way back on the calories.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Scramble and egg with bacon the night before, wrap it in paper, then put in the microwavve for a minute as you are leaving.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found that a cup of warm green tea (not a coffee person) helps to curb all my sweet cravings for the day!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I keep boiled eggs in the fridge. Also, beef jerky, turkey slices, nuts etc are good on the go for protein without the sugar.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

Debacle ;)

And here is something I am dying to try for breakfast... muffin tin scrambled eggs!! Make a pan and then warm them up each morning and eat on the go! I won't be using many of the traditional recipes, but I think you could make your own and follow the baking times for reference. I would want to use it with egg whites and maybe some low fat cheese, with some broccoli mixed in.... mmm mm.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scrambled-egg-muffins-2/
  • laelafaye
    Options
    Maybe you could try a different brand of protein bar? Atkins has some low net carbs/sugar ones, detour, or pure protein do as well. Detour is at costco but the other two can be found in walmartish stores. Bananas have alot of natural sugar too, which could add to your cravings. Research what veggies have high DV of pottasium if that is what you are eating bananas for...I find that even the low sugar protein bars add to my cravings and that a simple protein shake ( low sugar, high protein ) actually makes me less hungry...better than a bar. And they make the shakes premade too, super easy for fast and furious mornings. :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Deboggle is an awesome word. :happy:

And, yeah, probably if your blood sugar leans toward hypo. (Of course, you need a doctor to test for it, but if you're hypo you've probably already figured out something's up. Pretty obvious.) Sugar can drive it up and then crash it fast. (sugar crash = hungry + cravings = disappearing donuts). Try a high protein breakfast instead. Heck, pair protein with a complex carb. Scrambled eggs and a little cheese on corn tortillas keeps me steady for a good long while.

(BTW, meant real protein, as in real food, not a bar. Eggs, cheese, ham, bacon... MMMMmmm... bacon...)
  • jjangula
    jjangula Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Make your own breakfast bars...... there are tons of recipes on the internet, and then you can make adjustments to these recipes as you see fit, I make my own carrot bran muffins for breakfast, I don't add any sugar, only a little honey for sweetness, and cut out all but a TBLS of oil, LOVE THEM !
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It could be the type of protein bar. Many are no more than glorified candy bars. Look up "Quest" bars. Those are tasty and aren't filled with tons of sugar.

You could also look into a protein shake rather than bar. Many powders have less sugar than the bars would. I usually make one with a bit of fiber powder. The key to a super filling breakfast is to get a good bit of fiber and protein in it.
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can make oat meal [plain no sugar] with Stevia as a sweetner and stay away from all tropical fruits like bananas, mangos, pineapples and so on. You can also have an egg and egg white with vegetables as an omelet to get more protein in your diet.

Stay away from bread, pasta and anything made with flour cause that also becomes sugar and will keep you from losing weight.

It will be hard but worth it in the end. :drinker:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

Debacle ;)

And here is something I am dying to try for breakfast... muffin tin scrambled eggs!! Make a pan and then warm them up each morning and eat on the go! I won't be using many of the traditional recipes, but I think you could make your own and follow the baking times for reference. I would want to use it with egg whites and maybe some low fat cheese, with some broccoli mixed in.... mmm mm.

Oh, snap! I so need to go get a muffin tin! But I'd take out the pork and the salt just to reduce sodium. Would probably put chicken in it. Hey, it's easy protein. Thanks for the link!
  • feefie04
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

Debacle ;)

Oh, snap! I so need to go get a muffin tin! But I'd take out the pork and the salt just to reduce sodium. Would probably put chicken in it. Hey, it's easy protein. Thanks for the link!

Yeah there's no way I would use the exact recipe, but its an amazingly great idea!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

Debacle ;)

Yeah there's no way I would use the exact recipe, but its an amazingly great idea!

No wait! Did you click on Chef John's baked eggs? :love:
    http://allrecipes.com/video/936/chef-johns-baked-eggs/detail.aspx?prop24=RR_RelatedVideo
  • feefie04
    Options
    Deboggle.

*giggles*

Debacle ;)

No wait! Did you click on Chef John's baked eggs? :love:
    http://allrecipes.com/video/936/chef-johns-baked-eggs/detail.aspx?prop24=RR_RelatedVideo

Ohhhh interesting... I just briefly skimmed the net for a recipe I could reference for the thread, I didn't go that far into it... AWESOME!
  • meeper123
    Options
    Scramble and egg with bacon the night before, wrap it in paper, then put in the microwavve for a minute as you are leaving.

brillant!!!!
  • meeper123
    Options
    Maybe you could try a different brand of protein bar? Atkins has some low net carbs/sugar ones, detour, or pure protein do as well. Detour is at costco but the other two can be found in walmartish stores. Bananas have alot of natural sugar too, which could add to your cravings. Research what veggies have high DV of pottasium if that is what you are eating bananas for...I find that even the low sugar protein bars add to my cravings and that a simple protein shake ( low sugar, high protein ) actually makes me less hungry...better than a bar. And they make the shakes premade too, super easy for fast and furious mornings. :)
    :) thanks so much for the idea I do have protien powder I drink it after a work out I bet that and some almonds would work great
  • meeper123
    Options
    Deboggle is an awesome word. :happy:

And, yeah, probably if your blood sugar leans toward hypo. (Of course, you need a doctor to test for it, but if you're hypo you've probably already figured out something's up. Pretty obvious.) Sugar can drive it up and then crash it fast. (sugar crash = hungry + cravings = disappearing donuts). Try a high protein breakfast instead. Heck, pair protein with a complex carb. Scrambled eggs and a little cheese on corn tortillas keeps me steady for a good long while.

(BTW, meant real protein, as in real food, not a bar. Eggs, cheese, ham, bacon... MMMMmmm... bacon...)

Thats funny cause I work and the bakery and guess what I make most of the time...Doughnits lol and I think that yur right I need to eat more real food in the mornings even if it means waking up a tad bit earlier