Brain surgery - tough day

Options
I was in a bike wreck 2 weeks ago and landed in the emergency room. In the cat scan, they found an arteriovascular malformation on the non injured side. They said these things are normally formed in embryo when some thing goes wrong. Ma fitness pal on here told me that an AVM is quite serious and to NOT take it lightly. It can lead to stroke, aneurysm, and convulsions.

So i saw the neurologist today. He said that it does appear to have had a blood leak. He said I'm young enough and healthy enough that since I have decades to live, they will probably try to treat it. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon on the 17th. I'm not in immediate danger, but an mra will be at 9:30 am with an appointment at 4 pm. He believes the surgeon will want to do an angiogram, or a laser knife surgery, or both. The problem he sees ith the laser knife is that it takes 1-2 years to work. The mra will tell how fast the blood flow is, and how close it is to an artery. There is calcium build up, which, I guess is pretty normal. He can't tell how big it is from the MRI, and the doctor didn't send the cat scan with me.

Well, i guess the reason im posting is that I TOTALLY overdid it today. Although my hubby came with me and was wonderful today, I guess the stress got to me. Instead of 1200 calories minus a 30 min. Run, Im guessing I ate 3000-4000 and no exercise other than taking the stairs up and down 8 floors instead of the elevator. In 9 weeks and 22 lbs lost, I haven't lost control once, and today was fift over fist feeding. I weigh every single day, and 5 of7 I see a drop. Yesterday I dropped .2, and today I dropped 1.2 to a 5 year low of 182.3 I'm pretty sure some of the pizza I ate and the blizzard will find me in a couple of days.I'm just afraid of tomorrow.

Replies

• shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your health...this must be very difficult news for you. I would not worry about bingeing for one day...in fact, I doubt you will see a change in the scale at all. Lots of us have "cheat days." I have about one a week (usually on the weekend) and still managed to lose 3 pounds in the past 3 weeks. Just get back on track tomorrow :)
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow! all that stress would have sent me over the top. Keep it up! One day will be okay. I'll be praying for you and your situation.
  • robynw0982
    robynw0982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be hard on yourself. You have been through a very rough day and I can't imagine going through that kind of thing and not having comfort food. Tomorrow is a new day. I am sorry to hear that you are going through such a scary thing. You don't have to let this news define your whole diet. You will get throught this. And congrats on the 23lbs.
  • angusmike
    Options
    Best of luck to you. Be careful not to overdo. I've found that doing what the doctor says hastens the recovery. :happy:
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    My prayers are with you.
    I think you have to give yourself a break for today - but pick yourself back up right now and move forward. You've got to stay in control and be strong physically and healthy to get through this.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Best of luck with the medical issues. Scary stuff...but glad they found it and can treat it!

Don't be hard on yourself about your food intake today. I know I am an emotional eater, not sure about you, but if anything was going to set me off it would be a day like you had. I know many of us are here to change our eating habits and control stress without food. But it doesn't happen overnight. At least you saw it for what it is. So long as you don't do the same thing tomorrow and the next day, etc., you'll be fine.

Btw, if it helps I had a totally off the charts eating day as well! It was my last day at my current job and some coworkers bought cake and pizza. Husband and I had already decided to splurge on dinner and go to this expensive Italian restaurant...where I ate really rich food. And so on. I hadn't had any blow out days since I started here, and it bothered me a bit. But it tasted really good. This kind of eating used to be fairly common for me. I know now that it won't be an every day thing. All is good!!
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this -- i wish you well....
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    3500 calories. If I ate this way each day for 5 weeks I'd weigh 195.4. OmG! I'd gain 13 lbs. I'm so full I could throw up. Usually it says I'd be 10 lbs lighter.
  • ddarden
    Options
    My prayers will be with you, too! Bless your heart! Talk about stress. One day won't hurt you in the long run and you've made amazing progress. Be careful and don't overdo until you get the go-ahead from your surgeon. Hoping you can get this fixed soon and be back in the safe zone!
    I'm seeing a surgeon next week for a hiatal hernia repair and reflux surgery. It is very scary facing surgery but I don't want to live this way with it changing my life. I love Gentle Yoga and want to be able to move to the next levels some day! I should have been able to do this months ago but the hernia puts restrictions on how much pressure I can put on it.
    You are in my prays, Brenda. Hugs!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax. I know this is all scary stuff and all, but just take it easy and know that this sort of thing is actually pretty routine these days. Stick to your plan, follow the doctor's advice, and live your life. It's great they spotted it.

Best wishes, I'm sure it will all be fine.
  • kellyo15
    Options
    My thoughts are with you, what scary news to hear! Just remember that you're in the best hands and they want to treat you so that you are in less risk than you currently are! And about the food - there are some schools of thought that a regular (like weekly or so) cheat day is very good for your metabolism. Regardless of your thoughts on cheat days, don't beat yourself up over it! This was a very unusual day for you. xoxo
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    oh you poor thing! you are going thru so much.
    dont worry about it! it was only one day

just concentrate on your health and doing what is best to get better!

all my best,
    Aimee
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Oh my what scarry news you had, I'm sure I would of over eatten also! I'm sorry you had the bike wreck but really glad they found the other in time to repair. God is in control, I will add you to my prayer list! Add me as a friend if you will.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    My prayers are with you.
    I think you have to give yourself a break for today

*this X's2*
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your medical problems. That had to be terrifying.

Now, wipe today's calories out of your mind. Don't worry about what MFP says you would weigh in 5 weeks because you're not going to keep eating like that. Just get back to work on eating well tomorrow because you're going to need your strength and your health. And thank goodness for that accident because now you know there's a problem and you can get it taken care of!