Is there a way to reduce water retention?

Options
I know I hold a lot of water. My doctor suggested trying water pills, but I've heard some things about water pills leading to uti and other things. Is there anything natural that can reduce the water retention?

Thanks!

Replies

• trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dont eat as much salt...

Only thing I know.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake. If you are taking in too much sodium you will retain water. My doctor recently told me to start taking cranberry capsules along with water pills. The cranberry capsules reduce the chance of UTIs.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Reduce sodium, drink more water, Lasix more than likely. My mom takes water pills and hasn't had anything bad happen from them. They've helped her A LOT!! She has a heart condition and causes her to hold tons of water. Sometimes up to 10 lbs difference in a day, though not so much since she's been on these.
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium as was told, also be sure of drinking a lot of water / juice / tea / juiciy fruits (stuff like coke zero has lot of sodium); lots of carbs may lead to water retention too (this is solved by moving your body :p )

Are you having some meds with corticoids/esteroids? these make liquid retention too.
  • genefabes
    Options
    nix sodium. drink a ton of water. dandelion root tea with fresh lemon and a tablespoon of 100% no sugar added cranberry juice.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LIke most other posters said, watch your sodium. I was going over when I drank alot of orange juice (who'd of thunk it?). Also, green tea is a natural diuretic.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Dandelion pills!!! They work as a natural diuretic without depleating potassium(:
  • maryjay51
    Options
    make sure you monitor your sodium intake.. processed foods are loaded with sodium.. dont put salt on your food any longer and eat foods that are naturally diuretic .. celery, cranberries,tomatoes, melons, cucumbers ..any fruit or vegetable that has a high water content in it and potassium filled .. also do some cardio dont know where your at with exercise but at least 20 minutes a day to start to get them body parts moving .. sometimes if you have too much salt and not enough water your body will retain any fluid you take in...
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try to find out first why you have such high water retention. There could be several reasons, and depending on the reason, you need to take countermeasures. Water retention could come from heart problems (for which doctors usually give water tablets - if you allow me to ignore your doubts over those for a moment); but it could also come from lack of protein, and in this case water tablets would be the absolute wrong thing to take because as you "lose" the water, you lose protein as well which would cause the body to pump more water into your tissue, and therefore it would only INCREASE your water retention.

I also have high water retention from a lack of protein (I have Crohn's), and found that a high-quality protein powder from a pharmacy, plus exercises such as aerobics help to keep it under control. The levels of retention do fluctuate, however, during the month, presumably due to hormone cycles.