Leg injury while running

Options
Not sure if I should post this here, but it seems more along the lines of my topic/subject than anything else in the forums.

I have heel spurs (back of heel, not on underside that I walk on) and tendonitis. My podiatrist said that I could continue to walk and run and just remember to stretch.

Today... I am quite embarrassed to say so, but I tripped over a tree root while running on a trail in the woods and took quite a tumble down-hill. When I stood up, i couldn't bend my left foot (worst side of the tendonitis) I can walk on it if I keep my foot level, but ever so slowly. It is not ruptured since I can stand and walk on it. my entire achilles tendon is sore to the touch and it looks like that entire area is swollen.
Any suggestions on what I should do with this? I am going to ice it and elevate to see if it helps. I have never had a major injury before, not even a broken bone, so I am not sure.. I have had minor injuries, such as sprains in my fingers or hand, nothing more than that though.
Any ideas,suggestions, or feedback is welcome and appreciated! :)

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ice it, elevate it, take some ibuprofen to help with swelling. keep an eye on it and head to the dr.

it is better to go to the dr over something little and piddly than not go and find out you have broken or torn something and wind up with worse damage.
  • DianeG213
    Options
    I think you should see a doctor. Sounds pretty bad. Definately don't run on it - you could hurt it worse.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ice it, elevate it, take some ibuprofen to help with swelling. keep an eye on it and head to the dr.

it is better to go to the dr over something little and piddly than not go and find out you have broken or torn something and wind up with worse damage.
    I completely agree.

I would like to offer up sympathies and words of encouragement. Injuries suck :flowerforyou: I used to be near suicidally depressed when some thing or other kept me from running. However, I've learned over the years that if I can stay committed to whatever cross training I can do then the running will return much faster and I will be much less stressed about the break.
  • tuckyfatbutt
    tuckyfatbutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    keep icing and elevating.. Stay off it as much as possible and see a doctor. But DO ice, ice, ice...... I speak from very current experience, except I wasn't exercising. I ice every couple of hours per doctor and do not drive either. Broken foot no problem, it's the sprain that is killing me with pain, very sore to touch. just like yours. and bruised to the max. I use frozen rice as it molds to the leg/foot.

2 weeks ago I slipped on some rustic stairs, broke my right foot and totally sprained my left leg from ankle to the knee. I still don't know why I fell. No booze involved either.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Agree with this^^

And, if it makes you feel any better, I broke my patella last year when I was running through my own house playing with my dog, tripped on an area rug and crashed my knee into a radiator. No one has ever called me "graceful". :embarassed:
  • KhaosTh30ry
    KhaosTh30ry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, stories, and kind words! I will go to the Dr. tomorrow after I get some sleep. Unless someone thinks I need to go now?
    I have been icing it and keeping it elevated, as suggested. :)

I am very upset that this has happened; I was doing so well on my C25K, and now it seems I will have to give everything a break until this heals.