Diet Coke

Options
I am trying to cut back on my pop drinking, so I have been having one Diet Coke every day, if needed. I heard that it was actually better to drink a regular Coke. Anyone know anything about this? I know both are bad, and I am working on cutting it out completely.

Replies

• amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're looking for in the drink. If you want to cut down on calories from drinking Coke then Diet Coke is definitely the better alternative, however studies have shown that consuming products with aspertame can lead to increased snacking so you need to watch out what you're eating.

Good luck!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be a dabate on which is best. My research has led me to believe that diet is much worse in the long run because of a few reasons. 1. it messes up your endocrine system which in the long run really does a number on your metabolism. 2. there is so much unknown damage caused by artificial sweetners, such as cancer, nerve damage, brain damage etc. if it's artificial I don't think it should be put in your body. That is my point of view on the whole thing. But high fructose corn syrup which is used in regular coke isn't all that great either....best bet is yes, steer clear of both. If I do ever have soda I go with regular instead of diet though
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Diet Coke has fake sugar in it which isn't very good for you and also causes sweets cravings.

I used to be a Diet Coke drinker (had one/day with lunch) and I also had really bad sweets cravings in the afternoons. After I stopped, I felt a lot better and the sweets cravings went away. There was a period of adjustment, though, since my body was used to the caffeine kick mid-day.

I started drinking green tea - there are some good flavored ones or I just add a slice of orange. Green tea is also a natural appetite suppressor so I am less hungry.

Good luck with your journey!
  • zrakovi
    zrakovi Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow! I thought I wrote this for a minute.... :laugh:

I too am addicted to diet coke, but try to only have 1 a day. I did weight watchers in the past and they said that you could count 1 per day towards one of your waters.

I have read quite a bit lately that diet coke can add to snacking and weight gain, but I figure one a day can't be that bad....??? Right???? Please?????
  • EmilyKonfrst
    Options
    Thanks, I love green tea so I think that would be a great replacement.

I never really liked or craved chocolates or sweets before I got pregnant but I never really drank pop either. After I had my baby, I started drinking it more to stay motivated and have had to work to not eat sweets, which is something I never had a problem with until now. Maybe drinking the Diet is adding to my cravings.

Goal is to cut it out entirely by the end of next week.
  • keruszka
    keruszka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to here so forgive me putting in my two pence worth so early on, but I do feel pretty strongly about the whole "diet" drink thing.

I'd say you're better off having the odd non-diet one as a treat than packing your body full of sweeteners. The problem isn't really whether there's sugar or not inside the drink, it's the addiction to constantly having some sort of sweet, delicious flavour in the mouth. I know I'm on a downward spiral when I start drinking pop more and more often, as normally I'm just a tea and water girl!

Congrats to you anyway for cutting down :-)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be a dabate on which is best. My research has led me to believe that diet is much worse in the long run because of a few reasons. 1. it messes up your endocrine system which in the long run really does a number on your metabolism. 2. there is so much unknown damage caused by artificial sweetners, such as cancer, nerve damage, brain damage etc. if it's artificial I don't think it should be put in your body. That is my point of view on the whole thing. But high fructose corn syrup which is used in regular coke isn't all that great either....best bet is yes, steer clear of both. If I do ever have soda I go with regular instead of diet though

Agreed.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Diet coke tricks you. The word Diet makes you think its not as bad for you to have, thus you feel less guilty and may indulge yourself in something else through the day. If you want a coke, I say have a coke. Own the 160 cals that are in that coke and adjust your daily caloric intake accordingly.
  • DTFaaron
    Options
    I would say stick to diet coke. Regular coke has a ton of sugar which is bad for your body and bad for your teeth too. But drinking it every day is not good. Skip a day for starters, then keep it for weekends or a "cheat" day.
  • katenyc112
    Options
    diet coke is much better for you. carbonation is bad because it eats the calcium in your body, but both coke and diet coke have that. one diet coke per day is fine. one regular coke had about 9 tsp of sugar and thats all your sugar for a day. you are supposed to have 8-9 tspns. To find this amount you take the grams and divide by 4, thats the # of sugar (in tspns.)
  • faile486
    faile486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The first thing I worked on eliminating from my diet was anything with caffeine. A lot of people don't realize the negative impact it can have on your sleep cycle. Caffeine can remain in your system for 20 hours!

If you've been a regular soda drinker for a while, you might want to try phasing it out rather that stopping suddenly. Otherwise you might get withdrawal headaches.

I usually stick with water and decaffeinated tea. If I do drink soda it's a regular coke or cherry coke, and I try to do it rarely.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    the only thing I could think of when I saw this thread....

Why did the blonde snort Sweet n Low?

because she thought it was diet coke.

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAA

Ok, sorry. My apologies to anyone offended. Back to your regularly scheduled discussions.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Regular coke,..... here ya go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZ2ZqBYlrI

Diet coke is filled with chemical Horse S%$t.
    Try some kind of soda water with a natural flavor.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    the only thing I could think of when I saw this thread....

Why did the blonde snort Sweet n Low?

because she thought it was diet coke.

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAA

Ok, sorry. My apologies to anyone offended. Back to your regularly scheduled discussions.

OMG LMAO!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    carbonation is bad because it eats the calcium in your body,
    That is an interesting statement, so I googled.

[http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/22464.htm]
    "The carbonation itself has not been found to lead to calcium loss from the bones, as was once thought. A recent study published in the August issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has found that non-caffeinated soft drinks had no effect on urine calcium loss. Caffeinated beverages had some effect, but not as much as expected."

The article (above) is dated, but offers a sound source of information. If you have a reliable source of information (non-commercial) about carbonation leeching calcium, please share it with us.

Health to all! :)
  • zrakovi
    Options
    hahahahahaha!!! That was really funny :laugh:
  • zrakovi
    Options
    Ok, I obviously didn't do that right, but I thought the blonde snorting sweet & low joke was really funny:blushing: