anyone here who has conquered emotional eating...

Options
i've been fairly successful at sticking to my weightloss plan lately, and despite some setbacks, i am losing some weight. slowly, i should emphasize, but i am definitely also experiencing the mental and emotional benefits that come from eating well and exercising on a regular basis, and i've been feeling like this was something i could stick to long-term.

then today, i found out i messed up my knee. doctor said it was a "sports injury", which didn't necessarily come from bad form, but "repetitive action". whatever it came from, i now have to modify my workout routine.

i'm totally overwhelmed. in addition to this injury bummer, i just started grad school and the work load seems to be a huge jump from undergrad. i was in class for 9 hours yesterday in between 930 am and 1030 pm. i came home, ate, crashed, and woke up at 5 am for work this morning.

anyway, today i overate. a lot. i didn't even care that i was sabotaging myself, i just wanted to eat. i was tired and sad and stressed the hell out and pasta and chocolate made me forget about that for a few minutes. of course, after those few minutes....

i know that life at times gets hard and this is just one more thing i need to conquer in my eating habits. i don't want to use food as a crutch. experienced mfpers, what are your tips for conquering this?

if you got this far, thanks for letting my vent!

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee, emotional eating isn't easy to beat. I had to eat more healthy items and make bad things forbidden. I also found that when I'm stressed it's better for me to redirect myself. I go online an do some research on things that I want to know something about. I read books, I play with my dog, Talk to friends or family, talk to my wife anything to take my mind off food and think of other things. You can do it...Good Luck
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just posted on the same topic. I seem to be struggling with this too right now. :-( Sometimes its so hard. Like you mentioned....today I completely overate (and drank) and I don't care. I had one of those days due to some issues at work. I have read articles that say to go for a walk or do something to distract yourself, but I don't think it helps at all. Hopefully someone has some useful tips. I just try to tell myself that tomorrow is a new day and think of the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"
  • decadentdashes
    decadentdashes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with emotional eating. For me it depends on what the emotion is. If its anger and frustration, putting on some headphones and going for a walk tends to cool me down enough to avoid overeating, but for other stuff its not that easy. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, so what I do is always make sure I have healthy munching food around for those times I lose. I'd rather binge out on a bag of popcorn than a bag of potato chips. It isn't really a way to conquer emotional eating, but it helps to minimize the damage it can do to your body.