Book Suggestions Please

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some good books on general nutrition and fitness, not necessarily diet-specific (Atkins, southbeach, etc. ).
Any good reads would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sneakysneaker
    sneakysneaker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Leslie Beck (Registered Dietician) has a few books that have good advice and are easy reads. The Healthy Kitchen one has some so-so recipes so I wouldn't go for it first but she has a Nutrition Guide for Women and a Nutrition Encyclopedia. She also has a regular column in the Globe and Mail (Canadian newspaper) and her advice is pretty solid.

http://www.lesliebeck.com/nutrition_topics.php?area=3

For fitness you may have to go to an exercise specific read (Running for women, etc.)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Could probably do a search on Goodreads and find some that come highly recommended by readers. They also link you to where you can buy it online if you want.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite: Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life, By Jullian Michaels

and

28-Day Body Shapeover By Brad Schoenfeld ( lots of cool fitness info, visit blog (www.workout911) and website (www.lookgreatnaked.com)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    The Thin Commandments Diet
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Volumetrics. It teaches how to get the most food for the least amount of calories.
  • jlcarter1975
    jlcarter1975 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "You" the owners manual and "You" on a diet. Right now I'm reading, "It must be my metabolism", it's a book about metabolic syndrome.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Life is really excellent!!! I also like You are your Own Gym.
  • tmbolt
    tmbolt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually did the extreme and started learning Nutritional Medicine. Sadly I dropped out but leant some valuable things my short time there. Couple of things I changed and stuck with and managed to loose my first 20kgs easily but following.

1. Never mix your proteins in 1 meal. So don't have bacon with eggs or meat with cheese, etc. It makes it harder for the body to break down the different proteins so longer to process meals.

2. Eat in order of hardest for body to process to least. So eat all protein on the plate followed by carbs then veg. The enzymes created from chewing help break down foods in our stomach so if you eat the meat first then it has more enzymes added to help digest.

Nutrition for Life is a nice book with information about illnesses as well. Both Michelle Bridges and Jillian Michael's have brilliant books with nutrition, exercise, recipes and overall well being. Amazon is the best place for buying, you can see peoples comments on books and check out the suggested books as well. If your up for something heavier and really in depth I can give you the reading list from the couple years of study I did.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    There is this book called Nutripoints which I like very much. It's a nutrition book that ranks foods based on their nutrient density per calorie and then assigns those foods a score. You can use this information to make very nutrient rich per calorie food choices. Of all the books out there, this one is one of the best I have in my library and it works well with other dieting plans and approaches.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tracy Reifkind's "The Swing"
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guide. <3!

Sara
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,428 Member
    Options
    The 9 Truths about Weight Loss: the No-Tricks No-Nonsences Plan for Lifelong Weight Control, by Daniel S. Kirskhenbaum,

In a more general vein, (but applicable) Always Change a Losing Game, by Dr. David Posen. It covers all aspects of mental roadblocks in all arenas of your life (sorting out job-pressure stress can free up energy / attention to focus more on getting fresh-air and eating better .... there are chapters specifically on general eating patterns too)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions is wonderful - tons of indexes, how to's and recipes..I also got a lot out of Real Food by Nina Planck.

I blogged about all three a month or two ago if you'd like more info. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Kalynx/view/i-upped-my-fat-intake-to-50-and-here-is-why-344473
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson's "Push" is a good personal development book...it's about getting control of your eating and exercise but can be applied in all other areas of your life. Chalene is the creator of Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and ChaLEAN Extreme. She knows her stuff!
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Volumetrics. It teaches how to get the most food for the least amount of calories.

Thanks! Just downloaded it on my Kindle.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why We Get Fat