Help! Just made this chilli .. how big is 1 serving?

Options
Hey all,

Before I pig out on this...

I just made this awesome veggie chilli but I'm not sure how big "1 US" size serving is? Is it 1/2 cup or 1 cup? Its pretty much only legumes and veggies. It says 98 Cal per serving.. how big would that be?

Here is the exact recipe: http://allrecipies.com/recipe/veggie-vegetarian-chili/detail.aspx

Thanks

Replies

• atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    US eats a lot, so its probably 1 cup
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you made it, you can define a serving as whatever you want. Just calculate how many calories the whole pot is and what percentage of the pot you are eating.
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The recipe says it is 16 servings total so divide up and see.
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    This is where the recipe section on MFP comes in handy. Create your recipe then base your servings as how you would eat it or dish it out. When it comes to soups/chilis, I usually use 1 cup servings as there generally isn't much else being eaten with it.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    That is why i don't make recipes on mfp.

You have to figure out HOW much it turn out to be, then determine your serving size maybe by the amount of calories you would like your serving to be, and then divide by how much the entire thing is.
  • GillianMowrey
    GillianMowrey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That recipe says that it makes 16 servings. So measure the entire potful and divide it into 16 serving. It almost looks like it makes about 12 cups, which would make the serving size 3/4 of a cup.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to do it that way lol sigh
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I agree with using the recipe builder, but you can also weight the whole thing, divide total number of grams by total number of servings, and then ladle it out by weight as you serve it.

I do this both for accuracy and because sometimes it's easier to fit one big container in the fridge than a dozen little ones.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I agree with using the recipe builder, but you can also weight the whole thing, divide total number of grams by total number of servings, and then ladle it out by weight as you serve it.

I do this both for accuracy and because sometimes it's easier to fit one big container in the fridge than a dozen little ones.

This is a great idea. I am going to invest in a couple food scales because I love to cook. I think that is what you meant?
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    That is why i don't make recipes on mfp.

You have to figure out HOW much it turn out to be, then determine your serving size maybe by the amount of calories you would like your serving to be, and then divide by how much the entire thing is.

At first I didn't like the recipe section as it doesn't give options for what determines a serving (oz, lb, cup, etc). The serving size is actually a recipe yield.

After my first couple of recipes were entered, and I figured out the section, I no longer have a problem with it. Although it does help that, when I cook a meal it is meant to be finished then with no leftovers. The kids don't like leftovers, the husband always forgets about them, and the dog benefits. :smile:

As I am the one dishing out the food, I can divvy it up easily into equal parts and know then how many servings there are. I will also refer back to my recipes to see if I need to adjust my portion if I happen to make a larger batch or if I divvy it differently than normal.

To keep myself on track for my goal - a caloric figure that is pretty darn close works for me. If I tried to nail down every single calorie, I would lose my motivation and interest and then fail.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

This is a great idea. I am going to invest in a couple food scales because I love to cook. I think that is what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant!

My food scale can go up to 11 lbs, and I haven't made anything that weighs more than that yet.