Sushi Lovers

Options
I'm a sushi addict for sure. Anyone else? So am I right or wrong? We can pretty much eat any sushi we want and still be good and healthy? I mean sushi is healthy for sure right? My favorite is Scorpion Roll. It has ...

SCORPION - shrimp tempura, cream cheese, cucumber, jalapeno, avocado and kani topped with tobiko.

I eat this like once a week. I would more if I could. But I heard gotta be careful w the mercury? What is yall's favorite?

:love:

Replies

• cheskax
    cheskax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    mmmm! i Love sushi... the soy sauce makes me blow up though from all the sodium! lol I love the Dragon Rolls and Spicy Tuna Rolls :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Avocado peanut rolls! <3
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    Options
    I can eat sushi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can't get enough! Now you just made me crave it! I'm tempted to go out and get some now. Lol. :)
  • GeoffinAZ
    GeoffinAZ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love sushi as well, but it is a scary thing for me as there can be so many hidden things that are not good in there.

I have to just have veggie or tuna rolls with zero sauce.

Even california rolls can be packed with fat and calories.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. I don't like the stuff with tempura though, too heavy. One of the things I love about it is the freshness. I also love me some miso. Miso and a plate of spicy tuna chased with tea...mmm
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's an all-you-can-eat Sushi place near my house. I think I'll go there soon, it's becoming an addiction.

I will definitely go over on my calories, in one sitting.
  • careyannal
    Options
    I'd be careful of "tempura" sushi... That's basically another way of saying "fried".
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVE sushi!

BUT! Not all sushi is healthy! Here are some key notes:
    *Avoid anything fried
    *Avoid roe: it's packed with TONS of cholesterol!
    *Rice has a lot of calories in it. Try eating sashimi (no rice) or ask for brown rice
    *If they offer it, get a roll with avacado or zucchini strips as a wrapper
    *Avoid sushi with sauces

I found it pleasant to get one unhealthy roll (nothing TOO bad) and the rest is sashimi or healthy rolls.

I hope this helps!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! But then again, I'll eat just about anything raw; fish, shrimp, oysters, muscles, eggs, steak, yum!!! :-)
  • 1Tim4v8
    Options
    I love sushi too! but to be honest it does still freak me out, my mom drilled it into my head to be carful of uncooked food sense we all got food poisining from a truky when I was 10
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    spicy tuna roll, rainbow roll, and eel nigiri :tongue:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too! but to be honest it does still freak me out, my mom drilled it into my head to be carful of uncooked food sense we all got food poisining from a truky when I was 10

You ate raw turkey?
  • Aventuria
    Options
    I don't get the hype, I don't like sushi at all. I'm one of those few... :wink:
    But then again, I can only have the veggie sushi, and that's kinda boring... :laugh:
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVE sushi!

BUT! Not all sushi is healthy! Here are some key notes:
    *Avoid anything fried
    *Avoid roe: it's packed with TONS of cholesterol!
    *Rice has a lot of calories in it. Try eating sashimi (no rice) or ask for brown rice
    *If they offer it, get a roll with avacado or zucchini strips as a wrapper
    *Avoid sushi with sauces

I found it pleasant to get one unhealthy roll (nothing TOO bad) and the rest is sashimi or healthy rolls.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, does help! maybe I should try to avoid tempura from now on or eat less of it :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    LOVE sushi! I recently moved to a small town from Vancouver, where there's sushi on every block. My faves are tuna and salmon sashimi and nigiri, negitoro roll (tuna belly with green onion), yam tempura rolls and spinach goma ae, which I've taken to making at home. YUMMY!!
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too!

but beware:
    tempura = deep fried
    cream cheese = high in fat
    mayo = extra cals
    white rice = high GI (but everything in moderation!)
    sauces are usually high in sodium (I can't even eat the miso soup... too salty!!)

but if you get the simple rolls without all the fatty ingredients, it's great! low-cal and filling!

(I do love my gyoza though... oops)
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    My family loves sushi and there's a place we go that has a happy hour where all plates are $1.60! We'd go all the time if one lunch didn't put me over my calories quota for the whole day! Sure fish and rice is healthy, but it's still packed with calories.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a sushi addict for sure. Anyone else? So am I right or wrong? We can pretty much eat any sushi we want and still be good and healthy? I mean sushi is healthy for sure right? My favorite is Scorpion Roll. It has ...

SCORPION - shrimp tempura, cream cheese, cucumber, jalapeno, avocado and kani topped with tobiko.

I eat this like once a week. I would more if I could. But I heard gotta be careful w the mercury? What is yall's favorite?

:love:

I love sushi!! And that roll sounds like a delicious little calorie bomb :explode: !! If I eat sushi it has to be as a "cheat meal"....because I can eat at least four rolls by myself...and miso soup...and probably green tea mochi ice cream
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    So what are the best rolls to eat? names?
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Just substitute half sashimi, eliminates half the white rice.