menopause

Options
Hello I just got back on after 6 month off I am in menopause and finding it very hard to lost weight without not eating anyone have any ideas what I can do. I am 55 and overweight and alway hurgry.

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am in peri and I sure do understand. I have days where I am ravenous for no good reason. For me I just have to track my food carefully and maintain my muscle mass with weight lifting. I find that shooting for a weekly calorie goal rather than daily helped me a LOT. Some days I can eat less to make up for crazy hormone days. I use a spreadsheet to help with that and it has really made a difference for me.
  • lollyb1
    Options
    I am also finding it very hard to lose weight I am 56 and feeling like my body is seesing up my mind is willing but the body isn't. I have a plan to lose 30kg and I am sure then my body will feel much better Im walking for my exercise :) I have just joined MFP and i am loving it .
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for peri-menopause to start soon. Thank goodness I've lost my weight before then so it won't be as much of a problem.... I hope :)

Add extra protein and fibre lollyb1 if you can, it will help.

Good luck ladies!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for peri-menopause to start soon. Thank goodness I've lost my weight before then so it won't be as much of a problem.... I hope :)

Add extra protein and fibre lollyb1 if you can, it will help.

Good luck ladies!

YES! Good point! I have also increased protein and DECREASED sugar. Finding protein without fat and fiber without sugar is a challenge, but it is possible and it has helped me with my IBS-C (and I do mean C!!) too. I think that is going to be increasingly important for me as well. I feel better too!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Come and join us on the "Near or In Menopause" group -- at least that's what I think it's called ... naturally I can't remember!! :laugh:
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Another one in peri, and it seems like I've been in it for about six years! (But it's coming to an end soon. I think. Maybe.) In the past few years I've developed belly fat that's really hard to get rid of. What works best for me is cutting way back on refined sugar; when I do that and eat healthily on a regular basis, I start to crave dark leafy greens instead of Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream.

I also do physiotherapy for scoliosis-related issues, so I go twice a week and also use their stationary bike when I'm there. (I probably need to get my own; for various reasons, I can't ride a bike, do high-impact walking or running, or lift weights, sadly.) For the rest of the week, I'm now aiming to do the PT exercises daily on my own; many of them are core-strengthening exercises, and when I do them consistently I really feel a difference.

I'm 51, and I feel strongly that if there was ever a time to get on track with this kind of self-care, now is it.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Come and join us on the "Near or In Menopause" group -- at least that's what I think it's called ... naturally I can't remember!! :laugh:

LOLLLLLLLLLL

that is SO me. i'm 47, weight training heavy as always, running and it seems like nothing is budging. i got rid of my scale...i just feel better working out and would rather just track via measurements right now

going to look up the menopause group
  • mamasher06
    Options
    I am 54 and find it harder than ever to lose. Weight doesn't go to my butt and thighs anymore but straight to the middle. This gal isn't digging the muffin top either. I have cut way back on sugar and white breads. My body may never be what is was but I am determined to be healthy and live a long life.