Beginners - How many calories do u burn?

Options
I'm a beginner and I don't enjoy excercise. I work out on my elliptical and the most calories I've burned in one day is 200 and thats if I work out twice. I see some people who say they burn 500 and I'm like.. HOW? So just to compare, how many do you burn or did you burn when you first started excercising?

Replies

• khart1993
    Options
    I purchased a wrist monitor that tracks a whole bunch of things. One of them is calories burned. During a recent 5k it said I burned over 700 calories. That was at a heart rate above 170 for most of the run. Normally I burn between 300 and 500 on a 40 minute treadmill run (heart rate 140 - 160), but who knows how accurate that is. I'd like to hear other people's takes on these monitors. Are they accurate? Right now I'm not trusting it fully so I'm not 'eating' all those calories.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    One major factor is how big you are- it takes more energy to move 500 lbs than it does to move 150. So some people who are burning a ton are probably bigger- but if you have weight to lose and you are really hitting that eliptical and doing so for 20 minutes to a half an hour it makes me think something is off....
  • tzvishear
    Options
    i try to walk on my treadmill about 45 minutes a night, between 4 - 5 days a week. i know it can be a little boring so i bought a portable dvd player and pop in a movie. or if you have internet connection near where you work out you can go online and watch almost any show you want to. i am into 'lost" and each episode is a bout 45 minutes so i know when the show is over i am done. this burns about 370 calories at a speed of 4 mph.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    It really depends on your weight and how hard you exercise. I have an elliptical at home that gives me calories burned but it isn't completely accurate because I don't put in my weight. But I estimate that they use 150-170 as the weight on the machine and adjust accordingly. I estimate I burn between 120 & 170 calories per 1/2 hour (depending on how hard I work).

I have no idea how people burn 500-600 calories/hour. I know people have heart rate monitors which help, but I've always thought that they include the calories you already burn from daily life (which is already included in our calorie allowance), not just the extra you burn during exercise. I could be wrong about that though...
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I get about 250 in 30 minutes on the elliptical.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and weigh 120. And EXACTLY, if I go at a slow steady pace, I average about 130. If I push myself, I can reach 160. I have asthma, so I realize I have to take that into account, but still... I have to almost be dying to go over 160.
    It really depends on your weight and how hard you exercise. I have an elliptical at home that gives me calories burned but it isn't completely accurate because I don't put in my weight. But I estimate that they use 150-170 as the weight on the machine and adjust accordingly. I estimate I burn between 120 & 170 calories per 1/2 hour (depending on how hard I work).

I have no idea how people burn 500-600 calories/hour. I know people have heart rate monitors which help, but I've always thought that they include the calories you already burn from daily life (which is already included in our calorie allowance), not just the extra you burn during exercise. I could be wrong about that though...
  • augustbells
    Options
    I'm a beginner and so far all I've done is walking. I burn anywhere from 200 - 600 calories a day just by walking!
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm slow... It never occured to me that heart rate is important as well. I'm such a newbie. Thanks for sharing that because now I'll start to use that function on the elliptical. :smile:
    I purchased a wrist monitor that tracks a whole bunch of things. One of them is calories burned. During a recent 5k it said I burned over 700 calories. That was at a heart rate above 170 for most of the run. Normally I burn between 300 and 500 on a 40 minute treadmill run (heart rate 140 - 160), but who knows how accurate that is. I'd like to hear other people's takes on these monitors. Are they accurate? Right now I'm not trusting it fully so I'm not 'eating' all those calories.
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    I never eat my workout calories soo it doesnt really matter to me how many I burn, but in a hour and a half at the gym I burn between 800-1200 calories I do 40 minutes circuit it training which burns around 500 calories then 30 minutes eliptical which I burn around 320 or I swimming laps for 45 minutes and burn 600. but it all depends on your weight I way 243 so I burn more calories then someone who is 150 the more you have to lose the more calories you burn working out because you have to push more weight then someone smaller then you. look at it this way when I go to the gym with my friend who is 140 and we both go on a spin bike for 20 minutes I will burn 240 calories and she will only burn 16 or so
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I never eat my workout calories soo it doesnt really matter to me how many I burn, but in a hour and a half at the gym I burn between 800-1200 calories I do 40 minutes circuit it training which burns around 500 calories then 30 minutes eliptical which I burn around 320 or I swimming laps for 45 minutes and burn 600. but it all depends on your weight I way 243 so I burn more calories then someone who is 150 the more you have to lose the more calories you burn working out because you have to push more weight then someone smaller then you. look at it this way when I go to the gym with my friend who is 140 and we both go on a spin bike for 20 minutes I will burn 240 calories and she will only burn 16 or so

Damn girl, thats some serious exercise! Impressive.