I dont understand

Options
I have lost about 49 lbs. 25 of it on MFP. I went from a size 26 to 22 jeans with the 1st 24 lbs weight loss. now I have lost 24-25 lbs. and I am still in my size 22???? wtf. I am going to start lifting weight soon (im on a trip) I am going to focus on building lean muscle mass (hopeing it will thrive off all the extra fat I have. I have a couple of ???

1. How did I lose 24 ish lbs and wear the same size?
2. When I start lifting, should I use a protein drink, yes I am very interested in building muscle as fast as I can, esp. in my core.

My husband says no on the protien, as it will bulk me up, I have read enough on the forums to find that is not true.. Please help with advice. My diary is open, please forgive the low cals the last few days. When I stress I do not eat and I am stayin with my In Laws right now. So go past the last week. thank you.

Oh 3rd?? what are the recommend calorie intake to build muscle, I am 5'3" and currenly 217 lbs.
My goal weight is 140 lbs. With lost of muscle. Thank you all.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1. How did I lose 24 ish lbs and wear the same size?
    Maybe you lost it in a more uniform manner or in different places. Maybe your clothes shrank some. Who knows. Did you take any tape measurements?
    2. When I start lifting, should I use a protein drink, yes I am very interested in building muscle as fast as I can, esp. in my core.

If you can't get enough protein from natural sources (chicken, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, soy/edamame/other legumes etc) then protein shakes are a quick and easy (an relatively cheap) way to get more protein. You won't bulk from eating or drinking more protein.

Regarding the last question, since you still have 80 lbs to lose, I think that should be your priority. Just set up your calories for straight weight loss. Do some cardio and strength training along the way and you will build or maintain your current LBM. Once you get within about 20 lbs of your goal, increase the strength training if you still want to built more muscle.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any logical explanation for it. The body sheds and store fat wherever you happen to be genetically designed for - we're all different. If it makes you feel any better, I'm still wearing the same capris I did last summer and I've lost at least 20 pounds since then. Granted they're looser but there's no way I'm ready to go down a size yet.

I also agree that you should try to get the majority of your protein naturally through eggs, dairy and lean meats. I'm not a fan of supplementing with shakes (I've got a thing about drinking my calories) but I do love bars. Clif Builders is my current fave with 30g and 270 cals. I also buy Zone and Balance bars for snacks - they have 12-14g (if I remember correctly) depending on the flavor and are around 200 cals.

Your hubby is definitely wrong about you being able to bulk up. First, protein alone won't bulk you. The reason this is a misconception is because bodybuilders make sure they get tons of protein but that's to aid their recovery in order to build the muscles from the damage they do during their workouts. And even as you lift weights you won't bulk much - the average woman just doesn't have the testosterone levels for that kind of thing. You have to train and diet very specifically to be like the woman you see in magazines. What protein will do is help you retain the lean body mass you have and will continue to develop slowly.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Not all weight loss will be fat, there would have been some muscle loss and water weight.

I wouldn't take any more diet advice from your husband lol
    Oh 3rd?? what are the recommend calorie intake to build muscle, I am 5'3" and currenly 217 lbs.
    My goal weight is 140 lbs. With lost of muscle. Thank you all.

You wont be able to build much muscle while trying to lose 80lbs. Have 1 goal at a time, stay In a calorie deficit but just incorporate more lifting.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    thank you all very much. You have no idea how much I appreciate your input. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, and I take whey protein...BUT...the whey protein makes absolutlely no difference if your diet is right.
    I have lots of weight lifiting co-workers / friends...and they all swear by whey protein. I have not noticed an increase in muscle mass during the months I take whey protein, compared to the months I don't. So why do I take it? I make myself a nice little protein shake to reward myself on the days when I go hard on the cardio, since I have the extra calories available. But really...it doesn't matter if your diet is good.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When you are quite heavy the fat that you usually lose first comes away from around your organs before it starts coming away everywhere else so it could be that reason why you're not gone down a size?

Edited spelling
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm replying only about the protein drink: Protein powder, as you've come to find out, will not "bulk" you up. It's just a convenient and easily absorbed form of protein, nothing more. You can just as well eat some chicken, tuna or shrimp. When I added in whey protein to my diet it was because I was lifting weights and consuming more protein than I'd ever before... and I simply found it difficult to eat enough chicken breasts every single day. It was much easier to gulp down a protein shake.

So... add that in because you (1) like the taste, (2) want a quick form of protein that's convenient, or (3) just tired of chicken.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I wouldn't worry about the clothes sizes. I have lost 50lbs and yet have only come down 1 full size in trousers. I'm almost into the next size down. My top half however is another story...down three full sizes! And no, I didn't have the most to lose up top, I'm a classic pear shape and my hips and bum is where the weight comes off last with me. We are all different, just stay on track and eventually it will happen.
    X
  • asurapollo
    Options
    The amount of calories you take in determines how much you lose or gain, the different percentages of macronutrients determine what you lose or gain.

More protein will not fatten you up, and whey protein is a great way to add protein without adding a large amount of calories.

The amount of calories you eat is important, but what is also important is... how many of those calories are coming from fat, how much protein are you getting per meal, how much fiber and vitamins etc... and what is the quality rating of those sources.

Not all protein is created equal, and not all fats are created equal. Tuna, egg whites, and milk (non fat milk if you want to avoid the fat) as well as skinless chicken breast have some of the highest protein ratings.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Thank you all who replied. This does help me to understand better where I want to go, and how to get there. I appreciate it very much. Keri :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, protein will help your muscles recovery. And while on a calorie deficit its virtually impossible to increase muscle mass.. even for men. And muscle is lean so you want to preserve it as much as possible. So aim to get about 80% of your body weight in grams of protein and lift heavy weights (failing around 8 reps). Heavy weight/low rep is also more effective as burning fat as compared to low weight/high rep.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You might find that after the next 5 to ten pounds you drop two sizes. I accually skipped a size on accident by assuming x amount of weight needed to be lost and now have a pair of new jeans that are too big.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't know about building muscle mass, but I do know from experience that it is entirely possible to lose weight and gain strength. So strength training is not a waste of time while you're trying to lose weight and will help ensure long term success rather than rapid loss and then rebound weight gain.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    My sizes go down the most at the end, the last 10 pounds. The first 10 pounds I didn't change a size at all but the last 10 were 2 sizes!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I was so big it took me nearly 50 pounds before I saw any real size reduction. Yeah my clothes were loose, but I didn't need any new clothes until the 50 pound mark. Then suddenly nothing fit. I needed new bras, pants, underwear. Shirts not so much. I've lost 11 pounds since buying a few things to tie me over and they are starting to get loose. I'm holding out until I need some winter pants. Exercising definitely help tighten things up and has helped me lose weight. As for protein your dr. or a trainer can help you decide how much you need. I wasn't eating half as much protein as I needed. Both my doc and trainer told me how much to eat in a day. It was struggle at first and I did drink a protein drink in the beginning. I don't need to now that I know wear to get protein and how to include it in my day. I haven't bulked up at all. I've shrunk.