Biking in gym vs for real

Options
I am preparing for a 200+ ride in July and would like some advice on a training. We live in a colder area of the US and I can't really hit the outdoor trails until later in the spring, but all the training schedules I've seen suggest starting in February. If I start on a stationary bike in the gym, is that adequate to training for an actual bike ride? Usually I stick to the treadmill in the gym. Any advice for keeping it real on a stationary bike?

Replies

• abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just started bike riding and it is much easier in the gym because there is no wind resistance. The good thing about the gym is you can practice hills. I live in flat Houston. Maybe some experienced riders can comment on how to compensate for the indoor bike.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Have you considered getting a trainer for your bike? That way you're training on the bike you'll be using. Also there are a lot of good dvds out there. Spinervals is a good series of training videos. Some friends of mine used those while Ironman training during the winter months. I don't know what I'd do without my trainer :smile:
  • jennkohler
    Options
    I don't do much biking but I would think that maybe a spin class would help. I know at the Lifetime Fitness I go to does a 2 hr class once a week and it's usually full of people that do the long distance riding.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Are there indoor cycle classes available at your gym? That would be better than the recumbant-type bikes that you usually see on the gym floor. Spin classes are meant to simulate an outdoor ride.
  • dalek
    dalek Posts: 1
    Options
    Try a spin class. Spin bikes with the weighted wheel & manually added resistance mimic a road bike more closely than the stationary bikes in the gym. Plus the intensity in a spin class will have you burning 500+ calories for a 45 minute class. Just make sure you find a reputable spin gym / instructor. You really need to focus on form in order to ensure that you don't do any damage to your joints.
    Have fun! I love spinning!!
  • freddyredd
    Options
    I really like biking outside oppose to the stationary bike.Mostly because i like the outdoors.We are having beautiful weather here bout 50 dgs when i ride.Mississippi weather is perfect this time of the year for an evening ride
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I am preparing for a 200+ ride in July and would like some advice on a training. We live in a colder area of the US and I can't really hit the outdoor trails until later in the spring, but all the training schedules I've seen suggest starting in February. If I start on a stationary bike in the gym, is that adequate to training for an actual bike ride? Usually I stick to the treadmill in the gym. Any advice for keeping it real on a stationary bike?

I would read the website below and get going:

www.icebike.com

is it a trail ride, or a road ride? The difference is huge.
  • crosskat
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Unfortunately, spin class is not an option for me. We live in a small town and the spin class is full in the only gym that offers it here.

I'd like to look at getting a trainer for my bike. Any suggestions on a good one to look at? They seem to be rather expensive.

The ride in July is going to be a road trip, not off-road trails. And I did look at the site for icebike.com (thanks for pointing it out). I don't think biking as a winter sport is for me at this point.

Keep the suggestions coming! I am interested in anything that will help me train until the weather is better and I can ride outdoors.
  • skywalker
    Options
    My trainer is by CycleOps, but Giant makes a really nice one too. Somewhere in the $150-200 range, but totally worth the money if you use it. I use mine almost every day in the winter. Good Luck!!!! :drinker:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    200+ miler? In one day? Wow,,, that'll be one heck of a day.

I've used a cycle trainer, but I didn't like it enough to go out and buy one of my own. See if you can borrow one somewhere for a weekend. That's what I did, and I'm so glad I did it that way. If I'd bought one I'm sure I wouldn't use it.
  • crosskat
    Options
    200+ miler? In one day? Wow,,, that'll be one heck of a day.

I've used a cycle trainer, but I didn't like it enough to go out and buy one of my own. See if you can borrow one somewhere for a weekend. That's what I did, and I'm so glad I did it that way. If I'd bought one I'm sure I wouldn't use it.

Actually, the ride is two days, so around 100 miles per day for two consecutive days. There is an option to do it in one day but I'll probably take both days.

Borrowing one is a good idea. I'll check with our bike shop and see if they know of anyone who might have a loaner or if they do it themselves.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ok,,, 100 mile days. That's a lot.

If you average 15 mph, which is doable on a road bike in most terrain (I average 16-ish and I'm no Lance) then you'll cover 100 miles in about 7 hours. MFP's exercise tracker says 7 hours of bicycling at 15mph burns up 6611 calories!

Wow,,, you cannot eat that much in one day, especially on a day when you biked 100 miles. You'll definitely lose weight. Some of it will be lean,,, but you'll lose. Remember to drink huge and eat the best you can on those days.

It'll be fun. I've done big days and they're exhilerating. I love that feeling when you hit the wall and you're just out of gas and you have to feed - it's amazing,,, exhausted but not out of breath, wasted and starved but not tired in the usual sense and not uncomfortable. It's like crack...
  • daddydoitall
    Options
    New to the board, but not to cycling. Trainers are a great way to woek out in the winter. I went thu two magnetic trainers (blackburn mag trainers) before upgrading to a Cyclops fluid trainer. It really depends on your intensity and time on the trainer. Having said that, a trainer is better than watching and waiting for an opening in a spin class. Also, although I find it hard to maintain a constant pace on the trainer, the fact that there is no coasting makes up for it.
    On burning calories, depends on your size, fitness level, ages etc. A good heart rate moniter will help with tracking that. I usually burn 1000 cal/hr on the road.
    Good luck on the ride, it'll be fun!
  • bjjmitchell1
    bjjmitchell1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Sister!

I do the Spin class at my gym at least once a week and sonetimes twice. It's really hard but worth it. I also use the bikes on the gym floor too. Like said in a reply earler you can do hills on the gym bikes, I have found that you get out of it what you put into it, if you work hard on bike you can get a good workout!. If the Spin class or the trainer (i dont knwo what that is) is not an option then the bile on the floor is better than nothing at all. I am running, just got an e-mail today for the Preachtree Roadrace. I'gonna try that agin this year! Happy trails!!
  • daddydoitall
    Options
    I suggest you visit your local bike shop and tell them what you are tying to do. They probably have a few different types of trainers in stock. Usually a little pricerer (sp)than purchases on-line, but you have the trade off of a quick turnaround if there is a problem and you get their expertise. If you decide to go on-line, 2 sites come to mind. IDK if I am allowed to put their name on this board but one rymes with pashbar.com and the other nerformancebike.com :-)
    Its hard to keep it real inside. The videos work great and simulate hills and sprints and the flats by changing gears and cadence. Ask your lbs about the videos. I never looked, but maybe the local library would have the videos.
  • skywalker
    Options
    I agree with daddydoitall and I think it's ok to say nashbar.com and performancebike.com. If not... oh well... :laugh: Definitely check those out along with your local bike shop. Believe me, if you're going to be sitting on a bike for 100+ miles you'll want to train on the bike you'll be using and invest in good bike shorts (buy gender specific, the padding is shaped differently for men) which you can also find on those websites. Also, just to reiterate... Spinervals is a great dvd training series. Good luck! :drinker: