Sushi Lovers

Options

Replies

• LayneMorris
    Options
    Sushi is deceptivly high in calories, it looks lean and healthy, but there are a lot of calorie packed item in most rolls. The rice alone is a calorie powerhouse. Sashimi is a great substitute because most of the fish is very lean and has great omega 6's and omega 3's, but most people are not as fond of sashimi.
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    Here's a radical concept for you guys: Make it yourself! Forget the sushi chef that apprentices for twenty years and then trains for twenty more. It's EASY and FUN and you can control what goes in it and not be eating Orange Roughy having been told and sold that it was high grade tuna! Get a rolling mat, a sharp little sushi knife, some nori sheets, rice wine vinegar and short grain sushi rice (my next experiment is using short grain brown rice) and there you go. Oh, you also need a big wooden (salad type) bowl and a wooden spoon to fan and turn your rice. There you go. Roll to your heart's content and be extremely proud of yourself and amaze the hell out of your friends. Get a good intro book or take a class like I did.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try making my own too. I love brown rice and wanted to experiment with it too. I have this dorky sushi makine device, but it actually works pretty well for just me.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I like sushi, but the rice is not worth the cals and carbs. I love sashimi. My favorite is tuna and octopus. I also like seaweed salads. I'm not a huge fan of the miso though...usually don't order it unless its winter and I'm cold.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Here's a radical concept for you guys: Make it yourself! Forget the sushi chef that apprentices for twenty years and then trains for twenty more. It's EASY and FUN and you can control what goes in it and not be eating Orange Roughy having been told and sold that it was high grade tuna! Get a rolling mat, a sharp little sushi knife, some nori sheets, rice wine vinegar and short grain sushi rice (my next experiment is using short grain brown rice) and there you go. Oh, you also need a big wooden (salad type) bowl and a wooden spoon to fan and turn your rice. There you go. Roll to your heart's content and be extremely proud of yourself and amaze the hell out of your friends. Get a good intro book or take a class like I did.

This! I take it Nori sheets are the seaweed that holds it together?
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Great Tip! Ty gonna try it!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I Iove sushi but it's my absolute treat because rice is so high high in calories and so are a lot of the ingredients I you pick the wrong ones.

I love instant miso though I have it all the time at home and add heaps of extra seaweed/nori as its higher in calcium and minerals than any land plant or veg.
  • ebony__
    Options
    If I'm going to have it though I always make it myself :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Chirashi bowl
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Sounds like the sushi restaurants near you suck, huh?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I have sushi about once a month.. I am vegetarian so I usually have tamago (sweet egg) with soy sauce.
    I love sushi
  • CaelGomez
    Options
    PSHH. Sushi, healthy? Since when!? A lot of sushi isn't very good for you. Even the kinds that are technically 'good' are loaded with calories. My favorite is the Philadelphia Roll. Cream cheese and rice!? I think it also has avocado in that one... so many fatty foods in one bite of deliciousness! Today I had five pieces of the Fujisan California Roll that you can find at Safeway and Winco. It only came up to two hundred and seventy-something calories. I don't think white rice is really healthy for you, same with imitation crab... but for that, calorie-wise, it wasn't so bad! (:
  • ebony__
    Options

Great Tip! Ty gonna try it!

Oh and also you can make sushi without any of the above mentioned equipment
  • ebony__
    Options
    PSHH. Sushi, healthy? Since when!? A lot of sushi isn't very good for you. Even the kinds that are technically 'good' are loaded with calories. My favorite is the Philadelphia Roll. Cream cheese and rice!? I think it also has avocado in that one... so many fatty foods in one bite of deliciousness! Today I had five pieces of the Fujisan California Roll that you can find at Safeway and Winco. It only came up to two hundred and seventy-something calories. I don't think white rice is really healthy for you, same with imitation crab... but for that, calorie-wise, it wasn't so bad! (:

'healthy' and low cal are not always mutually inclusive.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm not really lookin for low cal just healthy.. :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, its my cheat type food.. Its high in calories though, I drink hot tea when I go and I don't touch the soy sauce.. I stick to the Wasabi (which still has calories but not much) but the rice is the killer part.. but you just work out and go and enjoy.. gotta have some fun in your life... its really dangerous when we go to the all you can eat one.. so many choices
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I love sushi and sashimi. Nothing is off limits with me however I tend to stay away from octopus because it's too chewy. I know i'll get a lot of slack for this but Escolar (white tuna) is my favorite, followed by salmon, yellowtail mackerel and uni. I much prefer sashimi over sushi but when I do get sushi I go for salmon or tuna rolls but a Philadelphia roll might have snuck in every now and then to my plate.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My favorite sushi from my local place is this spicy salmon roll. Only it's not your typical spicy salmon. They make a roll with avocado and chopped salmon, and then the rice is studded with lemongrass and sweet potato crumbs. So good, and no mayo!

Then, another local place does this really great gunkanmaki. They take rice, wrap it with avocado, and top it with spicy salmon and just a sprinkling of tempura crumbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't get the hype, I don't like sushi at all. I'm one of those few... :wink:
    But then again, I can only have the veggie sushi, and that's kinda boring... :laugh:

Hey, you and me both! I keep trying different ones, thinking, "This one will taste better," but it never does. I love just about all Asian food, but not sushi.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too!

but beware:
    tempura = deep fried
    cream cheese = high in fat
    mayo = extra cals
    white rice = high GI (but everything in moderation!)
    sauces are usually high in sodium (I can't even eat the miso soup... too salty!!)

but if you get the simple rolls without all the fatty ingredients, it's great! low-cal and filling!

(I do love my gyoza though... oops)

Where does the cream cheese and the mayo get used in shusi? I never heard of that?