EATING HEALTHY ON A BUDGET.

Options
I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS SO HARD TO EAT HEALTHY ON A BUDGET. IT'S CHEAPER TO EAT JUNK THAN IT IS TO TRY TO BUY FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGIES. AND WHY IS IT THAT SALADS AT FAST FOOD RESTURANTS COST MORE THAN A GREASY HAMBURGER AND FRIES?:grumble:

Replies

• MommaSpunk
    Options
    It is frustarting to no end for me...because everything unhealthy is so much cheaper than whole foods. It seems liike it should be the other way around to promote a healthier lifestyle because I know I would eat alot healthier if some of it was more budget friendly.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Eating healthy on a budget is possible. You can buy many of your grains and legumes from the bulk section of your market. Also, shopping at your farmers market will also save you money on your produce.

FYI: When you type in all caps it means you are yelling and it makes it difficult to read.
  • bluzatopia
    Options
    I think its because so many people eat junk and dont care that they sell more of it and make such a heavy profit that they can make it cheaper. That and healthier foods need more tlc and hands on work then other that are just thrown on a conveyor belt.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    1. Look at grocery weekly ads.
    2. Note veggies, fruits, and lean meats on sale.
    3. Take notes from above and create a meal plan based on said items.
    4. Purchase said items and follow your plan.
  • cmkeene01
    Options
    sorry about the all caps. I forget that it is on sometimes.
  • sleeplesslions
    sleeplesslions Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that going to Farmers Markets, buying bulk grains and pulses, and using EVERYTHING saves me heaps of money. I think I live on $25 NZD a week for food because I shop/eat this way.
  • suroon
    Options
    True it's cost much more to buy healthy stuff. In my country its more i guess.
    I spend every saturday $500 max for one week.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    yup its pathetic isnt it!! Always buy 1 get 1 free on chocolate bars, crisps etc. I guess using crappy ingredients and processing costs less than to grow fresh fruit & veggies...
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just got 10 lbs of chicken brest for 8.99 at Wally world. That's the main part of my dinner for the next week. Got some natural peanut butter and wheat bread, cost about 5 bucks for both. And a bunch of bananas for 55 cents a lb. for lunch. So it's pretty easy if you go in knowing what to get get. Come up with a plan before going to the store :) I eat 2 peanut butter sandwiches and a banana while at work almost every day. (I work outside and need something that can be left out in 95+ degree heat for hours without going bad.) I found a sale on Greek yogurt the other day, 10 for 10 bucks. I stocked up lol it's one of my new fav Foods. All in all, I'd say I spend maybe 60 dollars a week in food. What's that? Eating out once a day for a week? Not bad at all! Breakfast I usually have a frozen meal that costs around 2 bucks (cue the no processed food crowd lol) I like them tho.
  • cmkeene01
    Options
    I guess my biggest hang up is trying to find things that are cheap that don't have to be cooked. I am single and have a roommate but I am pretty much on my own when it comes to meal times. I eat out alot. I try to pick healthier options but like I said it is cheaper to grab a burger than a salad and quicker too. Maybe I'm just making excuses. I just know it can be very discouraging sometimes.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Since you're on a budget it would help if you stop eating out, make yourself a meal plan and eat at home. Cooking for one can be difficult but at the same time if you make enough for 3 or 4 meals it can save you time. I spend $150 a week to feed a family of four, this includes meals for my husband and myself at work. On my Sunday ( I do shift work and my days off are in the middle of the week) I cook a meal that will feed me for 4 days. My husband usually takes leftovers from the previous nights dinner. Since we started this about half of what we buy is fresh produce and fresh meats, I still spend the same amount of money. You can eat healthy on a budget when you want to.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you can find money for a small freezer (half size, like a short filing cabinent) you can find things in bulk that you can grab and go heat quickly and save tons of money
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    It is frustarting to no end for me...because everything unhealthy is so much cheaper than whole foods. It seems liike it should be the other way around to promote a healthier lifestyle because I know I would eat alot healthier if some of it was more budget friendly.

I totally agree! It is very frustrating we have hardly any money as it is and its cheaper to by white bread, or white rice than brown! I have to try and balance it :(
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    Hi, I highly recommend adding up how much money you spend eating out every month. I'm sure you could buy a lot of fresh produce and lean meat/ other proteins with that money. I just started doing long distance with my bf while I am in school, so I have switched from feeding two people to one. Please note, I'm in Canada, and food costs may be more expensive than you local area. I have gone from spending $500 a month for two people to, $200 a month for one.
    As other posters have said shop the sales, and cook more than one serving at a time.
    Recent changes I have made:
    Buy all the produce that I need for the week, and then calculate how much of my budget it left over for other food
    Buying dry beans instead of canned
    Eating at least two vegetarian meals per week
    I discovered hard boiled eggs cost less per egg, than any granola bar I could find, so other than fruit & veggies, hard boiled eggs are my snack of choice
    Making meals ahead of time and freezing for later
    Eating wild rice bought in bulk, instead of stuff like bread and wraps (huge price difference)
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We do the majority of our grocery shopping at Aldi. I dont know if you have that store near you but it is wonderful for the budget and has a pretty good produce section, which tends to change seasonally (which is great). We get a much bigger bang for our buck shopping there.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I just got 10 lbs of chicken brest for 8.99 at Wally world. .......

OMG I WISH! That would be AWESOME! Chicken breast is SO expensive here which is sad because I LOVE chicken breast...
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's an aussie website but google $120 food challenge. That woman feeds her family of four on 120 per week.
  • RkcsP
    RkcsP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    none of the stores in my area have bulk foods.
  • nevermore99
    Options
    The straightforward answer to your question is simple - economy of scale. Not many people are interested in healthy food, so the overheads are spread over a relatively small amount of customers.

My second answer is: eating healthy can be less expensive. In fact it can be almost free. Unless you live in a city centre you can forage for plants or mushrooms. Today in just a few hours I managed to get almost 10 kilos of apples, 3 kilos of blackberries, 2 kilos of dog rose and three mushrooms on the commons near where I live. I already have a nice supply of dried and frozen fruit and mushrooms which had cost me only the electricity for the dryer.

If you can't forage maybe an allotment would work for you? It is great fun and a good all around work out.

If you live near the seaside (or your local laws allow to take freshwater fish) you could supplement your diet this way.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy on a grad student budget. It took way more planning than just going to the cafeteria or getting fast food, but it's possible.

1) limit eating out
    2) if the vegetable isn't in season, buy it frozen
    3) check out weekly ads
    4) don't try to live two lives -- buying healthy and junk food is costly

My favorite place to shop is trader joe's. good quality and pretty affordable.