BELLY FLOP!!!!!

Options
I am not even at my goal weight but I have a general question to throw out there to those who have lost almost or all of the weight that they wanted to lose. I, like most girls who are extremely overweight, have that dreaded hanging stomach. What I want to know is does this thing go away once you have lost most or all of the excess weight? Not asking for it to be a flat tummy just not a hanging tummy anymore... If you want to just send me a message you are more than welcome too if you dont want to post a response on this message board

Replies

• Lynnlin
    Lynnlin Posts: 16
    Options
    I have that dreaded Belly too, and granted, I haven't lost any weight, but I would like to know the same thing too...I think there should be a little loss of weight in that region....
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    A lot of it depends on your genes & age...and how much you have to lose. Everyone is different. Personally....I have lost most of the hanging down part but I will always have saggy skin.... If I want a tight taunt tummy...it means surgery.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too...i really want it gone....i would be several sizes smaller if it wasn't for that. I am just hoping the day i get down there it will firm some...i KNOW i am never will be supermodel body, but no saggy belly would be nice.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I was also curious about this.

It'd be good to hear from some of our big losers.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big loser (yet :wink:) and I never had an extreme belly until right at my breaking point (over 270lbs). When my belly started to jiggle when I walked, that's when I knew I had gone way too far. :laugh:

Anyway, my belly has flattened out pretty well and surprisingly my skin looks like it's bouncing back, too. I'm almost the smallest I've ever been as an adult so I'm pretty happy with how things are looking at this point. It gives me a little more hope that I won't have a humongous amount of extra saggy wrinkly skin when I get to my goal weight.

My belly button is round, not flat like a lot of folks I've seen about my size when they're in the process of losing weight (think biggest loser) so I take that as a really good sign. :laugh: I guess I'll let you know for sure in another 50 pounds...
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hate to break the bad news, but if you are talking a weight loss of 100 plus pounds, you are going to have a saggy tummy when its all said and done. Even if u tone tone tone , you will have loose skin. If for some miracle you don't, consider it just that!
    I look at it this way , I have lost 150 pounds with 30 more to go. I will look fantastic with my clothes on and my husband is not turned off by my loose skin in the tummy. He is the only one that is going to be seeing it!
    Yeah if it was gone I could be a smaller pant size. But I have 4 boys to put thru college so a tummy tuck is not in my future. Being healthy and feeling great is!
    Don't dwell on it.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Alot of it has to do with how well you lose fat in the tummy area and how well your skin bounces back. So far I have lost over 100 with 13 pounds to go to hit my goal. My tummy was saggy for a while but the more I work on it with cardio and strength training the more toned up its getting. I don't think I will ever have a flat tummy, however it is far less jiggly and saggy than I ever thought it would be.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    It really does depend on genes and age and a few other factors. Age is HUGE. but you can reduce it through continued training and good hydration. I'm 29 and so far I have been pretty lucky. I have some sag but I also have fat still pulling it down. But my daily water is solid and my skin has be rebounding VERY well. Running is my chief form of excersice and since I started running the skin has been tightening even more. Their is ALOT of different opinions on the topic, but most experts say that someone under 35 CAN rebound completely with good diet, hydration and excersice. Either way, what is important is the the weight is gone and that you get healthy.

:drinker:
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i have 2 friends in their late 30's who have recently just had tummy tucks, one had lost 80lbs and one only about 20. they got their boobs done at the same and they look and feel great. i say go for the surgery if it makes you feel good about yourself.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    DON'T PUT OFF GETTING HEALTHY!!!
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    On this side of 50, it will be a complete miracle if all this icky skin ever tightens up. It's everywhere. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    DON'T PUT OFF GETTING HEALTHY!!!
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    On this side of 50, it will be a complete miracle if all this icky skin ever tightens up. It's everywhere. :sad: :sad: :sad:

DITTO TO WHAT GEORG SAID! It doesn't get any better when you lose the weight when you're this side of 60 either!

(Anybody got an iron I can borrow? That may the only way I'll get this skin smooth again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr. about this and she told me that the muscles were tight but because I had two huge babies the skin was stretched and would need surgery if I wanted it gone. I like spyguy run for cardio and the belly flap doesn't seem to be going away!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    It is not a major concern to me because My Hubby is the only one to see it. I just was wondering how bad it could be because I wanted to know if I should really focus on my stomach area when exercising or keep going with the total body workout. I just want to be healthy and as long as it isnt a health issue then i am not to concerned if there is a little flab there in the end. Just a reminder of how far I came!!!!!:happy:
  • frabjak
    frabjak Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm down to the final 5lbs of my 50lb weight loss. I too had the belly...and the hips...and the thighs. You know, all of our favorite trouble spots. My experience is this...women lose from the eyebrows down! Will it get better? Yes it will, but depending on how much the skin has stretched, and the elasticity left in your skin, will definitely make a difference in how less hangy it will be. My problem spots were the last to really see go, which makes sense since they were the biggest parts on me. Stick to your full body workout, you can't spot reduce unfortunately...but strength training (and lift heavy) will definitely help fill out the skin with muscle as you lose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!