Getting married = great weight loss plan

Options
For the past SIX MONTHS I have been at a standstill. I'd stay the same, or yo-yo between the same 4 pounds over and over again. But now ever since getting engaged two weeks ago I've lost 3 pounds! I'm so excited, I'm at the lowest I've ever been and the motivation just keeps coming. Anytime I think about not going to the gym I think of being in my wedding dress and I change my mind and go, lol. :drinker:

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    AWWWW congratulations!!!! Have you set a date?
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    I also have a wedding come up in July, and I was steadily gaining weight until I realized my wedding was only six months away! So I started on January 2, and I've lost 11 pounds. It really is the best motivator!! I don't have a dress yet; I'm planning to wear something short and summery, and I want to wait until I can fit into something small (and cute) and avoid all the horrible alterations!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Thank you! Yep, October 30 :happy:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    I also have a wedding come up in July, and I was steadily gaining weight until I realized my wedding was only six months away! So I started on January 2, and I've lost 11 pounds. It really is the best motivator!! I don't have a dress yet; I'm planning to wear something short and summery, and I want to wait until I can fit into something small (and cute) and avoid all the horrible alterations!

Thanks, congrats to you as well! I haven't got my dress yet either, I am going next weekend to look. I was hoping I would be at my goal weight by the time I started looking, but no such luck. But I am 17 pounds away, so the difference is something that can be fixed with alterations.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Weddings are great motivators. I am getting married in June, so joined after the New Years in hopes of getting into better shape before the big day. Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • jewls261521
    Options
    Congratulations!! Weddings are great motivators. I am getting married in June, so joined after the New Years in hopes of getting into better shape before the big day. Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:

Congrats! I'm getting married in June too, and I did the same thing :)
  • foolover24
    Options
    Congrats to all of you on your weight loss success and the engagements! Any chance one of you lucky ladies can put the engagement bug in my boyfriends ear? haha! Just kidding! I just joined yesterday - I hope I have as much success as you are having! :)
  • sillysallyf
    sillysallyf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For the past SIX MONTHS I have been at a standstill. I'd stay the same, or yo-yo between the same 4 pounds over and over again. But now ever since getting engaged two weeks ago I've lost 3 pounds! I'm so excited, I'm at the lowest I've ever been and the motivation just keeps coming. Anytime I think about not going to the gym I think of being in my wedding dress and I change my mind and go, lol. :drinker:

I do the same thing. I think about being in my wedding dress and get up and just go do it. I feel great afterwards.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I also got engaged recently (in December).

My big motivation to lose weight is my new job that starts in about a year--I'll be taking over as Senior Style Editor for a fashion and lifestyle magazine. It will allow me to move out of New York and back to St. Paul, MN, where my fiancee lives. I'm not shooting for model-thin because that's not my style, but I DO want to be healthy and fit (and fit into my old, designer wardrobe!).

I'm also motivated by the thought of my wedding dress: it is being designed and custom made by a dear friend who is a designer--and my future boss! I have to be wedding-ready 6 months before the ceremony so that I can be measured for the dress. Last-minute alterations are my worst nightmare! I want everything ready to go well in advance. I'm just THAT type of paranoid.

I know there's a brides group here on MFP.... I haven't gotten on the bandwagen (yet), but I just might!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Be careful with all the parties and showers and junk right before your wedding! My dress was a little snug on my wedding day! :blushing:
  • momie0205
    momie0205 Posts: 232
    Options

Congratulations!!!
    That is my sons first birthday so I am sure that it is going to be a wonderful day for you. I just got married last year and my advice on the planning even though you didn't ask is to just breathe. don't sweat the small stuff either.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    You are so right! My wedding is April 17, 2010, and it was a huge motivator. All of a sudden it was January, and I was like - "I AM GETTING MARRIED IN 4 MONTHS!". I've lost 10 pounds so far. I know I won't have lost a huge amount before my wedding, but my mini goal is to have lost 30 pounds by then, which is a start.

Congrats to all the ladies losing weight and getting married!
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    :smile: Forgot the smiey face, which is extremely important you know.
  • mollykate810
    Options
    Congrats to all the newly engaged! For those of you who have not bought dresses yet. I recommend a corset style if you can with the laces in the back. I lost 15 pounds before my wedding last year and because of the laces I did not need to worry about my dress fit on top of everything else I was worrying about.
    Happy planning!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Congratulations!!!
    That is my sons first birthday so I am sure that it is going to be a wonderful day for you. I just got married last year and my advice on the planning even though you didn't ask is to just breathe. don't sweat the small stuff either.

Thank you, and happy first birthday to your son (in nine months, lol). I'll take all the advice I can take. Yeah not sweating the small stuff has become my motto. I spent all day yesterday tryng to figure out if emailing my fiance's sister to ask her to be in the wedding rather than calling her is rude (I barely know her) then I decided, it's going to be a long nine months if I am always worried about offending people, so I emailed her because it was more comfortable for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

I do the same thing. I think about being in my wedding dress and get up and just go do it. I feel great afterwards.

I loved your wedding countdown so I got one for myself :happy:
  • angelwings2000
    Options
    Congrats! I also got engaged recently (in December).

My big motivation to lose weight is my new job that starts in about a year--I'll be taking over as Senior Style Editor for a fashion and lifestyle magazine. It will allow me to move out of New York and back to St. Paul, MN, where my fiancee lives. I'm not shooting for model-thin because that's not my style, but I DO want to be healthy and fit (and fit into my old, designer wardrobe!).

I'm also motivated by the thought of my wedding dress: it is being designed and custom made by a dear friend who is a designer--and my future boss! I have to be wedding-ready 6 months before the ceremony so that I can be measured for the dress. Last-minute alterations are my worst nightmare! I want everything ready to go well in advance. I'm just THAT type of paranoid.

I know there's a brides group here on MFP.... I haven't gotten on the bandwagen (yet), but I just might!
    Wow..........sounds like some exciting changes coming up in your life. I live near the Twin Cities and work just outside of Minneapolis...... to me they are both beuatiful cities with so much to offer!
  • angelwings2000
    Options

Congrats back to you........May we be gorgeous brides by June! (June 19th for me!)
  • stepheculver
    stepheculver Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! I will be getting married spring 2011 and I am jut trying to change my eating habits so I don't have to stress out over my weight when the time comes. I still have a weight goal as well. I need to tone my arms down, any suggestions?
  • jewls261521
    Options

Congrats back to you........May we be gorgeous brides by June! (June 19th for me!)

I'm getting married on the 19th too! :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!