I ran a 10k!

Options
I used to run a lot, and last summer I did a 10k race, finishing in 65 minutes.

Stupidly I let my motivation desert me after the race, and I stopped running (and started to get fat again, surprise surprise). I got my shoes on again a few weeks ago, and to my surprise I managed a 5k without stopping or walking, and last night, I decided to push it a bit further, just to see if I could do the same with a 10k...

...and I did! My time was 75 mins, which is pretty slow (just over 12 minute miles), but in my defence the route is HILLY, and I've never been a particularly fast runner, I just plod, lol.

I am so chuffed with myself, even if I couldn't actually take my own shoes off after I got in :blushing: I'm really enjoying seeing what my body can do, whether running or swimming or weights.

And I actually noticed and felt a difference in the way I look this morning...I'm 11.5lb down, and it's just starting to show a little bit. YAY :bigsmile:

Replies

• jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Wow!

I know you are glad you did that and I am too! Feels good to be back and capable, eh? :)

I will also be revisiting the getting in shape thing. You are quite an inspiration to me.

Thanks for the post.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    the fact you were able to go out there and complete the run is a tribute to your character. Keep up the good work!
  • 911Megz
    Options
    That is awesome!!! I am supposed to be training for a half marathon and I can't find the motivation to do it! I do other things to work out that I love more! LOL! My half marathon is in 6 weeks! Today I set out for a 4 mile jog and I had to walk some of it! It was 85 degrees out also! :( I think you did great!!! :)
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There is a lesson here for all of us. Fitness is a LIFE LONG process. There is no end. No goal. Just eating good food and moderate exercize as a way of life. I myself am so susceptible to these breaks... I must watch out. We all must.
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I'm running 10k tomorrow as part of a team triathlon event... I'm so scared! It's my first race ever! I managed 71 minutes on my final practice run Thursday night, so well happy with that considering three months ago I couldn't run for 10 minutes!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You're awesome :)

And you're Scottish, which adds to the awesomeness. I'm going to friend you, if you don't mind?
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

And you're Scottish, which adds to the awesomeness. I'm going to friend you, if you don't mind?

Of course! I've friended you back :bigsmile: I hope you don't mind that I'm living in the wilds of England now, lol :wink:

Thank you everyone for the congrats and support, it makes me feel even better! :love:
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    It motivates SO MUCH when you can see what your body can! I'm sure you can improve you result soon ;)
  • johari69
    Options
    Well done! I can really identify with this. I started running this year, and recently managed to run 5k without stopping, I just can't believe it. I'm planing to do a 10k next March. It's really helping with weight loss too.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Of course! I've friended you back :bigsmile: I hope you don't mind that I'm living in the wilds of England now, lol :wink:

Thank you everyone for the congrats and support, it makes me feel even better! :love:

Haha, not at all. I was actually born in England, parents are born and bred Edinburgh though. Been here 20 years so it's like England who? lol.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 10K~your HILLY 10K! I also ran a hilly 10K last Spring in Vicksburg, Mississippi on the battlefield from the Civil War. It was a pretty cool race and my time was slow but I am proud of it as you should be too! Kudos!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!