Fasting and high risk activities...

Was thinking about trying some IF but not sure if i should. Have read in a couple of places that some people can get a bit light headed or lack concentration during their first few days. Seeing as im in a pretty high risk job. ( I clear trees away from High Voltage powerlines. So, plenty of working at heights, chainsaws, heavy machinery, danger etc) Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Can anyone confirm some of these symptoms? Im aware that everyone is different and will react differently to 'IF' but some input would be appreciated. Also i work in central Queensland (australia) and it gets bloody hot, if i dont drink plenty of water i will be likely to pass out in the coming months.

so yeah, help please!

Replies

• dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    I work around machinery everyday and started doing IF around 3 months ago. I have had none of these symptoms and i feel great doing IF. You would have to try it for yourself to see if it will effect you the same or if you have these symptoms.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Try a fasting every now and then when you have a day or a weekend off. Gauge how it affects you because it WILL affect everyone differently.
  • ebony__
    Im not sure the guidelines or exactly what you officially do with IF, but I fast or detox when I feel like my body needs it.
    Two weeks ago I did a 5 day detox, first 2 days clean and restricted and then 3 days of nothing but cranberry juice.
    On the 5th day I would have been in no way capable of driving or operating anything. Struggled to navigate my way from room to room haha. But it's natural I feel a bit ****e when the toxins are flushing out, I felt amazing afterwards, lots of energy and my skin felt great and my liver was very happy with me :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Fasting has great health benefits, but I do it when I have time off work, because of the concerns you have outlined, and also because fasting can make you feel weak, so is not good when you work a physically-demanding job. When you fast, your body goes into healing mode, so it's best for you to be resting.
  • Hi Depends on what type of IF you are doing. But they all include water so drink as much as you need (not over though as the body can get poisened from lack of sodium if you do). I have started the 5:2 type and although I haven't lost much weight (I think because I didn't really eat much processed foods so no excess water in my body already) my stomach has got flatter and I do feel better. The hunger comes and goes and I am allowed 4-500 calories on a fast day which means I can have a healthy dinner after work.
  • ebony__
    Fasting has great health benefits, but I do it when I have time off work, because of the concerns you have outlined, and also because fasting can make you feel weak, so is not good when you work a physically-demanding job. When you fast, your body goes into healing mode, so it's best for you to be resting.

Basically what I wanted to say just put better :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I personally don't think it's best fore those with active jobs. For desk jockeys, you really don't need that much food intake during the lazy days. Fasted training is fine for me but longer but less intense activity is a but average I'd say. I sau try it & see as I'm big on self experimentation.

Just remember that it's just a tool to crate youre calorie deficit so is you are hitting youre targets as it's them the differences wel be sfa imo.
  • ebony__
    I want an exciting high risk job. Wanna swap?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    You could experiment by trying a fast on a day when you're not working & see if it affects you.

You can drink as much water, tea, other non or very low calorie drinks as you like. If you sweat a lot you might need some sodium- containing drinks, maybe miso soup or a bovril or vegemite drink?

I think the Leangains fasting method has an option where you fast from breakfast on one day to breakfast on the next, instead of from dinner to dinner, so you'd eat a big breakfast to sustain you during the day, then not eat again til the next breakfast.

Try it & see how you feel
  • turbomuzz
    turbomuzz Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I may have to try when i have my week off (i get a week off once a month) Chrisdavey, this is where u might come in, Just gotta try to abstain from the booze (REALLY hard to do on holidays). :-)
  • chrisdavey
    yeah that's a good idea about doing it on a week off. Only thing is if you have so much free time it's easy to just eat out of boredom I find.

Also, I don't think you have a particularly large appetite so getting the required cals in a few meals can be an issue for some.. That is when more frequent smaller meals is the go. (I don't have any issues with large volumes of food :tongue:)
  • turbomuzz
    turbomuzz Posts: 24 Member
    does vodka lime n soda count as intake?? LOL..
  • chrisdavey
    it all counts :) But the carbs from alcohol are not used in the same was as the carbs from foods (other non alcoholic sources). AFAIK. That's still a strange issue in research that I've seen.

My n=1 evidence suggests that PWO drinking increases DOMS exponentially!
  • ebony__
    ^^^^
    Good excuse to get lots of massages