Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

have you ever taken a diet pill?

my friend is taking them and I am worried they are not healthy if you took them did they even work for you

Replies

• I've never taken one. Don't know anything about them actially
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    When I was 8 years old, my parents were taking them. They were working great for them, but then my dad had a heart attack and died. The m.e. found that his death was a direct result of those diet pills. He was 39. PLEASE don't take them!!!
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    i took zantrex3 ONCE, and i will never take anything like that ever again. i felt uncontrollably jittery, had a roller-coaster feeling in the pit of my stomach all day, and stayed up all night...i remember genuinely thinking that "this must be what it's like to be a crackhead." lol...but seriously, i'm convinced diet pills are the devil!
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    When I was 8 years old, my parents were taking them. They were working great for them, but then my dad had a heart attack and died. The m.e. found that his death was a direct result of those diet pills. He was 39. PLEASE don't take them!!!

wow i am SO sorry to hear that. =(

((hugs))
  • well I have to admit and shamefully so I have taken them for a short period when I first tried to lose weight, ephedrine to be precise, I stacked them with asperin and caffiene.........................I was carefull, well as carefull as you can be, but now I wish I never took them and just did what I am doing now, which is eating right and working out.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Yup.
    I ended up with heart palpatitations, and near a heart attack at the age of 13.
    Don't do it.
  • it all depends on the ones you take and your personal health. i've taken phentermine and the fact that it increases heart rate/blood pressure is great for me, considering my measurements for both of those are naturally very dangerously low. it works, but you need to be careful, because the fact of the matter is that even with my low heart rate the increase was terrifying. i can't imagine how it feels for someone with a normal h/r.
  • When I was 8 years old, my parents were taking them. They were working great for them, but then my dad had a heart attack and died. The m.e. found that his death was a direct result of those diet pills. He was 39. PLEASE don't take them!!!

poor you :( people really should hear stories like yours more often :( I was sooo blindly obsessed with losing weight I didn't even care about the consequences............................I look back now and shudder at whhat could have happened.......
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Only apple cider pills. Nothing else.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I used to take them, but not for weight loss but to get high(not proud but I did a lot of stupid chit in my 20s). They gave me lots of energy and all that jazz, but the crash and fall of it all made it not worth it. The sweetest girl in the south would turn into the wicked witch of the west when coming off those things. Not to mention I felt like I needed to drink lots of alcohol to calm down that jittery feeling, help me sleep and I also got heart palps.

Diet pills are NOT healthy, period. What is healthy is eating healthy and getting exercise. Like it or not, that is the magic pill.

And another thing, every single person I personally know of (this means me, not in the whole world) that has taken them have always gained weight back when they stopped because they did not learn healthy habits.

As far as the person who made the crack head comment, yeah, that is pretty much the way it is. And to me personally, there is not much difference in crack/meth and diet pills. Well, besides the fact they are legal that is.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    No, and I don't think that I ever will. It's a setup for failure, to me, because they can really hinder addressing the eating habits that contributed to the weight gain, in the first place. The ones that seemed remotely effective in history have usually been recalled for their nasty, even fatal, side effects. You could probably get similar results, far more safely, by adding an extra 15-20 minutes of light exercise to your day, even less if you're also willing to shave of about 100 calories from your daily intake. If a person is unwilling to do even those simple little things, then how do they expect to maintain their weight when they eventually come off of those pills?
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    A few years ago girl I used to work with too reductil and lost a stone or two, they were on precription only in the Uk at the time (private prescription and were about £100 a month.

She offered me a couple to try as I commented on how much weight she had lost. I took them and home read up on them and promptly threw them in the bin. I decided that they were not for me They have since been withdrawn I believe due to health issues and serious side effects.

She is still over weight and I think she was looking for a quick fix, rather than realising her lifestyle was making her fat, and changing it. (lived on junk food and drank like a fish and still does)

I went to WW instead and lost weight doing the core plan and learned to eat healthy (i only put the weight back on after a big operation last year and having to rest a lot and notbeing active)

Personally I wouldnt recomment diet pills unless under strict medical supervision and even then I would be careful, as often pills come on the market and it is only after a few years that the real bad side effects become known
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Tried them for a few days a while back, got severe heart burn so stopped taking them, they are probably at the back of a cupboard somewhere

shortcuts are expensive and bad for your health... and like most scams I bet most dont even work
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member

poor you :( people really should hear stories like yours more often :( I was sooo blindly obsessed with losing weight I didn't even care about the consequences............................I look back now and shudder at whhat could have happened.......

I'm so glad that his story did not become your story. Whenever I can, I tell people what happened to my father. He was an incredible man; he was my hero. And because of some stupid pills, I grew up as a girl who cried at the sight of seeing a girl with her father. My mother had to raise three kids by herself, relying on the government for help and still not eating so that her kids could share a package of ramen noodles. It's not just hurting yourself, but all of those you leave behind. The risks are not worth it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!